• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

VA incompetence

AD612B0B-0561-453F-90DC-BA53326A0280.jpeg So many things wrong with this.
The first sentence “we received your VA form 21-4140”. Then go down to the paragraph “what evidence can you submit “ and the first sentence is “As previously stated, the only reason we are sending this letter is because we have not received your VA form 21-4140”.
Then they state that I made $15,020 in 2018. Not true, I only made $6,800.
They then say that that amount exceeds the poverty level threshold for one person. Maybe so, but I’m a single father with full custody of my two teenage daughters and the poverty level for that is $19,500. The VA knows I have 2 dependents. They even acknowledge one of my dependents in the 3rd paragraph.
The “gainful employment “ they are referring to is my summer job working at a seasonal amusement park with my two daughters, then I started working at the Loon Mountain adventure center in December and only made $300 in 2017. On the VA form 21-4140 they only asked for my the gross income for my highest paid month. It seems like they took that amount and multiplied it by 12. Even so, I wouldn’t have exceeded the poverty level for me and 2 dependents. Total bull shit.

That you would lose 24k/yr in benefits because you earned 3k/yr over the (12K) poverty level is itself astounding.

That is like something out of a Kafka story. Maybe your congressman can help out?

You can appeal their decision. Don't go to the hearing without representation of a VA accredited attorney or a veterans service officer. The hearing officer will base the appeal decision solely on the factual evidence submitted. VA checks SSA and IRS databases to verify income so if your tax return supports your statements you may prevail on the appeal.

Reread my response to your earlier thread where I said the consensus among the 100% disabled vets I know was someone on TDIU should not be working. Now you know why. It may be total bullshit, but they are going to knock you back to 60%. File the appeal, then assemble bullet proof documentation. Don't get hung up on the contradictions in the notification letter. Hearing officer will only be interested in the evidence you present.

Last edited:
"Total Bullshit" is correct. Appeal and fight smart

A single father with 2 daughter's WTF ?

The adjudicator obviously was muslim and was triggered by your name. With the VA lost paperwork happens....a lot

Hang in there, you'll win....good advice above

Why can't we impose restrictions on the government for spending more than the budgeted amount for a particular project?

Agree with contacting your local VSO, but also suggest the DAV. Dealing with a bureaucracy is always frustrating. We should not have to be so frustrated with the VA considering our contribution to this country. Best wishes for a successful resolution.
Jim

Well, good. I still think it is insane that - had their numbers been right - you would lose 24k/yr in benefits because you'd earned 15k/yr.

Back
Top Bottom