Va. data show drop in criminal firepower during assault gun ban

MaverickNH

NES Member
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...2/AR2011012203452.html?tid=wp_featuredstories

Va. data show drop in criminal firepower during assault gun ban
By David S. Fallis and James V. Grimaldi
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, January 23, 2011; 9:17 AM

"The number of guns with high-capacity magazines seized by Virginia police dropped during a decade-long federal prohibition on assault weapons, but the rate has rebounded sharply since the ban was lifted in late 2004, according to a Washington Post analysis."

My favorite bits:
"The analysis by The Post is possible because of a little-known database of guns seized in Virginia. The database, called the Criminal Firearms Clearinghouse, has information on more than 100,000 firearms recovered by more than 200 local police departments since 1993. A federal law in 2003, known as the Tiahrt Amendment after the congressman who sponsored it, banned the release of federal data on guns recovered in crimes.

Last year, The Post mined the database to pierce the secrecy imposed by Congress on federal gun-tracing records. The analysis found that a fraction of licensed dealers in Virginia sell most of guns later seized by police. The vast majority of the guns in the database were confiscated because of illegal-possession charges. But thousands were swept up in the wake of assaults, robberies and shootings."

SO... "thousands" out of "more than 100,000" might be a percent or two...big numbers there. Note how they reveal the facts without explaining how they are cherry-picking the rare incidences to highlight...

"Koper's 108-page 2004 study for the National Institute of Justice found the ban on assault weapons had mixed results.

Assault weapons were rarely used in gun crimes even before the ban," he said in the report. But he also concluded that the prohibition on high-capacity magazines might have affected public safety, because such magazines allow shooters to inflict more damage. "

"Tentatively I was able to show that guns associated with large-capacity magazines tended to be associated with more serious crimes, more serious outcomes," he said. "

SO..,MIGHT and TENTATIVELY in 2004, but no further information on the validity of these possibilities 7 years later? Hmmm....

The number of civilians possessing std capacity magazines during the decades long ban decreased due to none being available for sale during this time. News at 11...

I saw this article in my local paper the other week. Who ever wrote it loves cherry picking figures. Since the ban expired, homicide and violent crime have dropped a further 20% in Virginia. We have a lower violent crime rate and only a slightly higher homicide rate than New York and New Jersey. Funny how they forgot to mention that.

Back
Top Bottom