• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Uzi IMI Pistol

Hey Guys,

I have a potential Preban Uzi IMI Pistol 9mm LNIB coming my way. I’ve tried searching comps online but coming up short on results. Anyone know what a fair price for something like this goes for in Mass? Also, since it’s a pistol, any way converting it into a carbine?

I assume that you are talking about micro Uzi? Those were as high as $1500 at one time, but some kits surfaced at Sarco at $750 and went away. I'd say $1000 to $1200.

For pistol, you need to change barrel first, to 16" and add stock after, i.e. so it's not an SBR at any point in time. Also in MA ... helps when your location is set to something meaningful ... can't be folding stock. If free state, you are good to go. Pistol to rifle is ok, once a rifle, always a rifle.

So I picked it up for $1,200 last night. It's a true Uzi IMI micro pistol 9mm Preban. Just to clarify, since it is a pre ban and registered as a pistol can I purchase a longer barrel such as 8.5" or 10.5"? Or could I put a side folding stock on it? Am I exempt from those regulations since it is a pre ban pistol in Massachusetts?

Being preban doesn't exempt you from normal rules regarding pistol, rifle or SBR classification. Pistols dont have stocks, a brace is ok though. Rifles have stocks and barrels of at least 16". SBR's have stocks and barrels less than 16" (with proper paperwork of course).

I think I get what you're asking.

You're wondering if you went from pistol configuration to rifle configuration (or SBR configuration, with the appropriate tax stamp in advance of course) would you be allowed to use a collapsible stock in MA, given that the weapon predates the ban? I'm fairly sure the BATFE won't comment on what MA might make of that, and I wouldn't want to ask the current AG for guidance...

Haha I'm sure if I ask our current AG should would have me on hold while she creates a law against that.

let me ask you this, what's the max length of a barrel of a pistol before it's classified as a rifle?

If you want to make it a true carbine I believe you need to File it as a Form 1. Since it is going from a pistol to a rifle, two different weapon types. Which in that case you might as well SBR rather than toss a fugly 16" barrel on there. You can not just put a stock on a pistol, highly illegal.

adding a stock = Riffle.

Last edited:
Haha I'm sure if I ask our current AG should would have me on hold while she creates a law against that.

let me ask you this, what's the max length of a barrel of a pistol before it's classified as a rifle?

16" barrel length or 26" in overall length of firearm

I think he's asking how long of a barrel he can install and still keep it configured as a pistol, without any paperwork/.gov interference. I don't know the answer to that.

16" barrel length or 26" in overall length of firearm

This is incorrect; you're going in the wrong direction.

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(29) and 27 CFR § 478.11:

The term “Pistol” means a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having:

a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s);

and a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

Note there is no reference to barrel length or overall length.

A rifle, on the other hand, is:

(7) The term “rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

And a short-barrel rifle is:

(8) The term “short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

Overall/barrel length is not a player until/unless it's applied to a rifle. (or shotgun, but don't stray). Then a rifle becomes a short-barreled rifle.

You can have a 20" barrel on a pistol if you want, as far as the Feds are concerned.

Last edited:
Uzi pistols have an entirely different receiver than what is used on a rifle, with a different set of internals.

While I never tried it, I'm pretty certain that rifle barrels are not interchangeable into pistol receivers.

IMG_0203.JPG

Last edited:
Uzi barrels are super easy to change. The stock is different. Micro uzis have diff barrel than mini or full size uzis.

Be careful about possessing small barrel and a stock = constructive SBR possession.

Enjoy cheap, hi cap Uzi mags!

This is incorrect; you're going in the wrong direction.

Note there is no reference to barrel length or overall length.

A rifle, on the other hand, is:

And a short-barrel rifle is:

Overall/barrel length is not a player until/unless it's applied to a rifle. (or shotgun, but don't stray). Then a rifle becomes a short-barreled rifle.

You can have a 20" barrel on a pistol if you want, as far as the Feds are concerned.

Duh, my bad. You are right. So many variables lol

Its pre ban, it can have a folding stock If you either sbr it or have a 16" barrel.

Ive never controdicted boris before...so he may know somthing i don't.

In theory I guess it would depend on if it was build from a kit after the ban or if i was assembled before , while it would be nice to have a factory assembled with proof..i doubt anything would come it in any of these situation.

Edit

I get it now.. over all lenght .. i though you where refering to the MA AWB. So youed need a 20?" barrel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom