UPS driver hit by BB gun fire in New Hampshire

GILFORD – A UPS driver narrowly avoided a serious injury Wednesday after being hit several times by BBs shot by juveniles hiding in the woods.

Police said Richard Rae of Laconia was driving his UPS truck south on Belknap Mountain Road after making a delivery when he was hit in the right arm and the left wrist. Another BB bounced off the baseball cap he was wearing, about an inch above his left eye.

Police found four juveniles with BB guns nearby and said three admitted to shooting at the driver. They said the three are being charged with reckless conduct.

READ MORE

I hope their parents give them the wooping they deserve. It is NH so I'd say there is a 50/50 chance of it happening. In MA or CA the parents would be blaming the UPS driver.

Bet UPS doesn't allow it's drivers to carry. Too bad.

Are you implying the UPS driver should be allowed to shoot at a bunch of kids that he can't even see because they ambushed him with BB's? [thinking]

Don't get me wrong if they jumped him and used a pellet gun in a threatening manner (provided he couldn't tell that it was a pellet gun) he should defend himself.

Whats with kids today....back in my day we just shot at each other. Hope the parents aren't as stupid as the kids are.

I wonder if UPS will switch their truck to APCs?

I'm a UPS driver out of the chelmsford hub that services towns from Haverhill-Marlboro, Woburn-Pepperell.

We are not allowed to carry any self-defense weapons. A few ex-mil guys will carry a pocket knife, but no OC.

If we get attacked by dogs, (or anything else I guess) we are supposed to use our handheld DIAD's. Mostly though, their methods training is supposed to keep you out of bad situations by making sure you never put yourself in them ie; honk horn when pulling up, look for signs of a dog (leashes, runs, yard bombs), jingle keys to get an animals attention if there is one, call out "UPS" as you approach the delivery point (again to draw attention).

Their way of dealing with dogs is us pummeling them swinging a 3lb device, and aggressively suing the owners of any dog that bites us. Been driving for 3 years, haven't been bit.

Have been backed down driveways a few times, using my DIAD or package as the proverbial chair in the lion tamers' hands.

Last edited:
I'm a UPS driver out of the chelmsford hub that services towns from Haverhill-Marlboro, Woburn-Pepperell.

We are not allowed to carry any self-defense weapons. A few ex-mil guys will carry a pocket knife, but no OC.

If we get attacked by dogs, (or anything else I guess) we are supposed to use our handheld DIAD's. Mostly though, their methods training is supposed to keep you out of bad situations by making sure you never put yourself in them ie; honk horn when pulling up, look for signs of a dog (leashes, runs, yard bombs), jingle keys to get an animals attention if there is one, call out "UPS" as you approach the delivery point (again to draw attention).

Their way of dealing with dogs is us pummeling them swinging a 3lb device, and aggressively suing the owners of any dog that bites us. Been driving for 3 years, haven't been bit.

Have been backed down driveways a few times, using my DIAD or package as the proverbial chair in the lion tamers' hands.

DIAD = "delivery information acquisition device" ... brings back some memories. I remember when UPS first introduced them, I was part of the team that piloted them down in Texas. Many drivers refused to give up paper, but when they eventually started using the electronic clipboards, they refused to use paper when the DIADs froze up.

When I delivered for UPS, I escaped a few close encounters by following that advice. Those version 1 DIADs were pretty large and made a good dog defense weapon. The one time I got bit was at an upscale house and a 1 lb chihuahua came out of nowhere and jumped up and bit me on the back side when I was handing the DIAD to the lady for her signature.

A+Christmas+Story.jpg

DIAD = "delivery information acquisition device" ... brings back some memories. I remember when UPS first introduced them, I was part of the team that piloted them down in Texas. Many drivers refused to give up paper, but when they eventually started using the electronic clipboards, they refused to use paper when the DIADs froze up.

When I delivered for UPS, I escaped a few close encounters by following that advice. Those version 1 DIADs were pretty large and made a good dog defense weapon. The one time I got bit was at an upscale house and a 1 lb chihuahua came out of nowhere and jumped up and bit me on the back side when I was handing the DIAD to the lady for her signature.

I drove for 9 years out of Dover NH. I remember those version 1 DIADs. Wouldn't work if they got the slightest bit wet, so I always carried paper with me. I was bitten 3 times, all in the same town, Madbury. Every time, I didn't see or hear the dog till it bit me. One bite missed the family jewels by only a fraction.

Are you implying the UPS driver should be allowed to shoot at a bunch of kids that he can't even see because they ambushed him with BB's? [thinking]

Don't get me wrong if they jumped him and used a pellet gun in a threatening manner (provided he couldn't tell that it was a pellet gun) he should defend himself.

Well, at the very least, the driver should be allowed to have a gun to shoot back just in case the bbs then turn into .22LR, or worse.

Put yourself in the driver's shoes...If you are getting pelted with BBs, would you have 100% confidence that that is all you will be hit with in the next few minutes? The guy should be able to scream out, "Stop firing your Daisies at me, for I have a Smith&Wesson! Stop it, NOW, or I will return fire!", or something along those lines.

This happened exactly the same way with my uncle not too long ago who works for the US postal service. It dodged underneath his skin and he had to have it surgically removed[thinking]

Some people are just a$$holes

Something similar happened to me a few days ago. I was driving down by the local airport, when an oncoming with 3 occupants car slowed down, the person in the rear rolled down the rear passenger window, and then began firing BBs at my windshield.

Some kids are just complete idiots and should not be trusted with ANYTHING pointy, dangerous, hazardous, or military-related. The kids who shot at me ended up being pulled over and were stupid enough to try to pull their BB guns on the officer. This almost tops one of my younger sibling's friend telling me that he would make the perfect SEAL because he beat Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 on veteran difficulty on his first try.

If you are getting pelted with BBs, would you have 100% confidence that that is all you will be hit with in the next few minutes? The guy should be able to scream out, "Stop firing your Daisies at me, for I have a Smith&Wesson! Stop it, NOW, or I will return fire!", or something along those lines.

Let me know how that turns out for you.

So you think that the guy has no right to be able to do this?

Hell of a retort, Mr. Live Free or Die.

Do I think it is irresponsible and down right dangerous to shoot at a group of teenagers that can't even be seen? ABSOLUTELY!!! I think the actions you are suggesting would be frowned upon in any state and would put you in the wrong in a few ways......

Firing blindly at a target that can not be seen. check
Putting others at risk by not being able to identify your target. check
Using deadly force against less than lethal force. check
Letting "tough guy" emotions override rational thought. check

They were stupid kids that did something very very stupid. Should they get an ass kicking by their parents? Yup. Should it be a death penalty? Nope.

Last edited:
Not worth the time to really get into it, but here are a few highlights:

There is no way that UPS could carry: we go into government buildings, schools, companies....drive around with doors wide-open where if my gun dislodges from my holster, would spill onto street or highway....not only that, but I just don't think it's a good idea.

Cops would be called on us constantly by moonbats, PR nightmare....In a perfect world I'm all for it, but not because I run into bb gun toting retards. That's why I keep a cell-phone on me with the local pd's handy.

Plus....I KNOW THE NEIGHBORHOOD.....they aren't getting away.

That being said, I'd settle for not being hassled for having my legally-owned OC and a good knife.

Back
Top Bottom