*UPDATED post 4*Any opinions on the Andover Spotsmen's Club?

yanici

NES Member
I'm going over to the Andover Sportmen's Club on Sunday to check it out. I know that there are a few members here on NES and, maybe some ex-members too. I'm interested in personal opinions about the club. It looks outstanding from looking at their web page. I think I'll be joining if it checks out ok.

Last edited:
I live a few miles from there and I ended up going to Harvard, Check out if they have any limits on Mag's and how fast you can shoot or if you can draw from the holster ect..

Harvard for me has allot more of what I am looking for not knocking Andover Sportsman's Club by any means, just Harvard offers me more.
Bruce

HSC and ASC are the two clubs I'm a member of... they both offer benefits. HSC is the ultimate it outdoor action shooting. ASC has a great indoor range. ASC does have some restrictions.

Thanks to the guys that answered. I stopped by the ASC today since it was open to the public for traps. I did notice the restrictions that were mentioned but don't think that they will dissuade me.

The indoor range is excellent and has motorized carriers. Also, FMJ is allowed and targets can be set to different distances up to 50'. 5 round load limit.

The outdoor range is very good and fairly new. Berms were at 25-50-100 yards. 10 round load limit.

If you're into shooting traps, this looks to be an excellent choice. All very new and well done.

Now the killer! I gotta get that initiation fee together.

yanici: the only thing you might want to be aware of:

Andover sportsmans has a club LTC. That means, no targets even that look like a silhouette of a person.

OK, thanks. I can live with that. The place is very conveniently located to me and although not perfect it's very good.

Thanks to the guys that answered. I stopped by the ASC today since it was open to the public for traps. I did notice the restrictions that were mentioned but don't think that they will dissuade me.

The indoor range is excellent and has motorized carriers. Also, FMJ is allowed and targets can be set to different distances up to 50'. 5 round load limit.

The outdoor range is very good and fairly new. Berms were at 25-50-100 yards. 10 round load limit.

If you're into shooting traps, this looks to be an excellent choice. All very new and well done.

Now the killer! I gotta get that initiation fee together.

Five round limit on pistols on the outdoor range. Sucks, I know. Magazine limits are really the only thing I would like to see change about the club.

Five round limit on pistols on the outdoor range. Sucks, I know. Magazine limits are really the only thing I would like to see change about the club.

When I was looking over the range rules it said 10 round load outdoors and 5 round load indoors. What's up?? Did they change the rules from what is posted on their web page?

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I really don't understand the logic behind the 5 round rule for handguns if rifles and shotguns are allowed 10 rounds.

One good thing about the 5 round rule is that it will definately slow the shooter down and can spend more leisurely time at the range instead of burning through his ammo stash.[wink]

I'm a member, its a great club with good people. The 5 round rule for pistols sucks, but keeps me from wasting money all the time. The best part is being able to shoot without having a RO standing near by so that allows you to come whenever you want and shoot and not have to wait around.

Everything about this club looked great until I found the following in the rules:

1. 5 rd limit to pistols @ the indoor range
2. 3 guests per year

I can deal with not shooting at silhouettes, but load up our already gimped mags only half way? whats the deal with that?

Everything about this club looked great until I found the following in the rules:

1. 5 rd limit to pistols @ the indoor range
2. 3 guests per year

I can deal with not shooting at silhouettes, but load up our already gimped mags only half way? whats the deal with that?

The wording on the guests can be read, IMO, to mean that you can bring each guest up to 3 times per year. So if I bring Joe 3 times I can still bring Sammy 3 times and so on.

"A member may also bring non-minor children or unrelated persons not more than 3 times a year. A member may bring two such persons at a time. The member may bring such persons along with the member's immediate family members as described in the first paragraph".

The 5 round limit is both indoor and out on pistols. That is definately blow city. I don't get the logic especially outdoors where rifles are ten round loads.

The wording on the guests can be read, IMO, to mean that you can bring each guest up to 3 times per year. So if I bring Joe 3 times I can still bring Sammy 3 times and so on.

"A member may also bring non-minor children or unrelated persons not more than 3 times a year. A member may bring two such persons at a time. The member may bring such persons along with the member's immediate family members as described in the first paragraph".

The 5 round limit is both indoor and out on pistols. That is definately blow city. I don't get the logic especially outdoors where rifles are ten round loads.

Are you a member? How are you liking it if you are?

Do they actually "Enforce" the 5 rd limit or is it just for "legal reasons?" That could be a dealbreaker.

Also, would a GF be considered "family" as long as its not a different GF each week? [wink]

I like it alot, and I'm a member. They do not really enforce the 5 round rule outside if your not going crazy, sometimes they do sometimes they don't if its busy and they most certainly will, the handgun range is attached to the rifle range and there is maybe room for 5 or 6 people to shoot at once, also it is the 25 yard berm and uses the closest target being 30ft then 50ft then 25 yards, so sometimes there might be rifle shooters shooting at the 25 yard berm sighting in. I would say that the 5 round's indoors is what it is, there have been much discussion about making it 10, keeping in mind rifles were only 5 rounds also up to about a year ago.

They never check "friends or family" its basically the honor system, I've brought my gf many times almost everytime I shoot and no one has ever asked me if they are friends or not. Just err on the side of caution and don't bring 3 or 4 people at a time with you.

So to answer your question, sometimes the 5 round limit is enforced, other times, use your own judgement.

I like it alot, and I'm a member. They do not really enforce the 5 round rule outside if your not going crazy, sometimes they do sometimes they don't if its busy and they most certainly will, the handgun range is attached to the rifle range and there is maybe room for 5 or 6 people to shoot at once, also it is the 25 yard berm and uses the closest target being 30ft then 50ft then 25 yards, so sometimes there might be rifle shooters shooting at the 25 yard berm sighting in. I would say that the 5 round's indoors is what it is, there have been much discussion about making it 10, keeping in mind rifles were only 5 rounds also up to about a year ago.

They never check "friends or family" its basically the honor system, I've brought my gf many times almost everytime I shoot and no one has ever asked me if they are friends or not. Just err on the side of caution and don't bring 3 or 4 people at a time with you.

So to answer your question, sometimes the 5 round limit is enforced, other times, use your own judgement.

Hi Nutzack - thanks for the reply! I will keep my eye on ASC and I hope they up the indoor limit. I'm 50/50 right now and its because of the 5 rd limit indoors. I dont own rifles, so it would be my pistols coming to the range. I also don't have any pistols with mags over 10 rds... I don't think that a 5 v. 10 rd limit will stop those who are disrespectful, either way, you just need to buy more mags or reload them more frequently.

As for the friends and family, it is good to hear you can bring people as long as you are not abusive. I like to bring new shooters to the range, and I would like to keep doing that (1 on 1, never in big groups), as well as bring my GF.

Maybe I'll stop by and have a look - do you happen to know when there are "open houses?"

The 5 round limit indoors is ridiculous. I made a big stink about that. One of the reasons I heard was there were some people that would just show up and blast away not even hitting a target and sometimes hitting the floor well before the target- as evidenced with the marks in the floor. I pushed for controlled fire... meaning shoot as fast as you can as long as you are hitting the target.... obviously that didn't fly. Great club but they are following MA legislature wrt gun rules there.. too many. No RO needed though with is nice.

The 5 round limit indoors is ridiculous. I made a big stink about that. One of the reasons I heard was there were some people that would just show up and blast away not even hitting a target and sometimes hitting the floor well before the target- as evidenced with the marks in the floor. I pushed for controlled fire... meaning shoot as fast as you can as long as you are hitting the target.... obviously that didn't fly. Great club but they are following MA legislature wrt gun rules there.. too many. No RO needed though with is nice.

Its shocking to hear that there are club members that can't hit paper. I can understand a few shots from a newb to the range, but.... I would say thats irresponsible range behavior, but I have high standards.

How many people are usually on the range when you are there? It must be nice to be able to shoot without a RSO, and the indoor range is open 24/7 right? So late at night you're probably there by yourself?

Again, thanks for replying!

I wouldn't go any later than 11, its supposed to be 24/7 but I've never gone any later. The indoor range has holes in the ceiling and "bruises" on the floor, even the outdoor range has holes in the roof!

The only days there are many people shooting indoors is on mondays or tuesdays for the pistol team, most the time its empty.

If you want to come by PM me and I can show you around one night.

Sorry, late getting back to you, Dagwag. No, I'm not a member yet. I'll be sending in my application over the weekend. Gotta wait 'til the Sept. members meeting to get voted in.

Anyway, if you haven't seen the place you should go by. On Sundays it's open to the public from 9 -11 AM for trap shooting. I got a tour of the indoor range and it's pretty nice. I stopped at the outdoor range on the way out and talked to some folks. The outdoor range is good too. Go take a look. Maybe they'll lift that 5 round limit in the future. If not, it ain't so bad.

Its shocking to hear that there are club members that can't hit paper. I can understand a few shots from a newb to the range, but.... I would say thats irresponsible range behavior, but I have high standards.

One club? You have to be kidding? I can unfortunately assure you that ASC is not alone in this regard. An example: I was shooting outdoors when two guys came by to shoot. One guy was decent... his friend not so good. I was in awe to see him flinching so bad he was actually hitting the ground a few feet in front of the target- the target was 5' from the ground! I was looking to see where he was hitting on the taget when I looked at the ground and saw dirt flying up.... wow.

How many people are usually on the range when you are there? It must be nice to be able to shoot without a RSO, and the indoor range is open 24/7 right? So late at night you're probably there by yourself?

Again, thanks for replying!

I often go at night after 10PM... rarely is anyone there. It's kind of freaky when you are shooting away and someone comes in at 11PM! Doesn't happen often though. I've been there till midnight on occasion. It's a good time to test loads/sight in guns too since I much prefer shooting outdoor.

Maybe they'll lift that 5 round limit in the future. If not, it ain't so bad.

Yeah in all fairness, since you can't draw and shoot multiple targets, the five round limit isn't too bad. I get tweaked because who the heck carrys or starts a gun with 5 rounds? When I shoot I start my guns "full" and that's the way I want to test and practice with them.

I often go at night after 10PM... rarely is anyone there. It's kind of freaky when you are shooting away and someone comes in at 11PM! Doesn't happen often though. I've been there till midnight on occasion. It's a good time to test loads/sight in guns too since I much prefer shooting outdoor.

Its at 11 pm on when I can't sleep I wish I belonged to a 24 hr range [smile] I think I would be able to get some good practice in, take it slow and calculated, instead of being hassled by others on the public ranges during peak hours.

If you want to come by PM me and I can show you around one night.

I would love that, I will shoot you a PM. Thanks for the offer!

Yeah in all fairness, since you can't draw and shoot multiple targets, the five round limit isn't too bad. I get tweaked because who the heck carrys or starts a gun with 5 rounds? When I shoot I start my guns "full" and that's the way I want to test and practice with them.

Well, after thinking about it a little, its not entirely that bad, its just silly. It forces you to think about what you're doing, although my thumbs might start to hurt after a while [wink]

It was explained to me that the reason for the 5 round limit was in the event that a 1911 went "full auto," the potential threat to the upstairs clubhouse would be reduced.

Sure... and full auto with 5 rounds is no fun either. I guess we could all shoot just revolvers and/or bolt action firearms. Ever see those steel plates? Sounds an aweful lot like like MA's legislators coming up with reasons to further restrict us.... Good club, good people... silly rules.

Oh and why would a 1911 be the only kind of gun that can go full auto? They don't own the market in that regard.

Back
Top Bottom