Update: Post 26 - Class is on ! Petersham Gun Club, Saturday Dec 1st at 1:00 pm

If anyone that is attending needs a Basic Pistol Course, The club will be having a class on Saturday starting at 0900. Cost for anyone going to the canning class will be $75.

Wasn't sure if you had committed but if you can grab a ride you're welcome to attend !

I wasn't sure if it was implied that i was committed, but i am not one to say I am going to do something, and then not. If anyone is coming from the natick/framingham area and wouldn't mind me hitching a ride pm me. Wish the train schedule was better, i would ride to worcester that would make it easy, but it stops in framingham sadly

I have no issues with observers but we are also offering a tasting of one or two products we have already canned.

The whole idea of this class is not just a demonstration of the canning process but also to show what can be done using the finished product to perpare a meal. The best way to talk to people about prepping is to be able to speak to both parties of a couple and have everyone involved.

Ten "attendees" is really more like twenty people and we don't have an issue with this. It's all in preparing for the class, to insure we have enough to go around so everyone can literally get a taste of what we have prepared fror sampling, also it's better to have more folks involved then everyone gets a chance to meet more like - minded people, compare notes on prepping, swap recipies, discuss methods of canning, storage ideas, ect, ect...

Long story short, we just need to have a good understanding of what to bring. When the list gets above twenty or so we need to bring a little more so feel free to attend if you wish and bring a friend / spouse if you desire.

There will be more events I assure you.

The Hi-Command just called me...she was offered a rare overtime event for tomorrow so she is out. I am still attending-solo.

I have no issues with observers but we are also offering a tasting of one or two products we have already canned.

The whole idea of this class is not just a demonstration of the canning process but also to show what can be done using the finished product to perpare a meal. The best way to talk to people about prepping is to be able to speak to both parties of a couple and have everyone involved.

Ten "attendees" is really more like twenty people and we don't have an issue with this. It's all in preparing for the class, to insure we have enough to go around so everyone can literally get a taste of what we have prepared fror sampling, also it's better to have more folks involved then everyone gets a chance to meet more like - minded people, compare notes on prepping, swap recipies, discuss methods of canning, storage ideas, ect, ect...

Long story short, we just need to have a good understanding of what to bring. When the list gets above twenty or so we need to bring a little more so feel free to attend if you wish and bring a friend / spouse if you desire.

There will be more events I assure you.

I may bring diatribe along as a guest as he was interested in learning. I will let you know when I hear from him .

Thanks again Twigg!

So, what (if anything) do/should we bring with us for this?

You might want a notebook and a pen and something to wrap a hot jar with, like a small hand towel. When the jars come out of the canner they are still boiling and can awhile to cool off. We'll have plastic bags for carrying the jars in but since they'll be very hot wrapping them in a towel might be a good idea.

I have somehow drawn the wrath of a vengeful and wrathful God all damn week and he ain't letting up. Looks like I won't be making it tomorrow after all, sorry for the last minute bailing. [sad]
Hopefully I can catch the next one..

You might want a notebook and a pen and something to wrap a hot jar with, like a small hand towel. When the jars come out of the canner they are still boiling and can awhile to cool off. We'll have plastic bags for carrying the jars in but since they'll be very hot wrapping them in a towel might be a good idea.

Thanks, will do. Diatribe will also be in tow if you don't otherwise object.

Thanks again for doing this twigg!

Sent from my mobile device.

Ok...tell the truth.....how many of you stopped into a store on the way home and were still wearing your name tag..
Doh!!!
I did
What a retard!

Ok...tell the truth.....how many of you stopped into a store on the way home and were still wearing your name tag..
Doh!!!
I did
What a retard!

[laugh]

I stopped at a store but never had a name tag to begin with, so I was safe...LOL

Thanks to Twigg & the missus for today's demonstration/class. [grin]

I somehow remembered to stick it on the can, I know I'm usually the guy that walks around with it on my jacket for three days.

Mr & Mrs. Twigg, thank you so much for taking your Saturday to help educate us. We certainly appreciated it.

It was great to see everyone there and meet a few new folks too! Thanks for the great conversations everyone.

Take care and see you soon.

Thank you Mr. & Mrs. Twigg for the awesome class.

I learned a lot, met some great people and feel like I can actually can meat without poisoning myself or others!

Today was, I hope, the first of many skill building classes.

It would seem that it might be possible to try to gather together once a month or so and have a skill-building class. Some of the classes that folks today expressed interest in participating in or teaching were: Cheese making, Meat processing, First Aid, Orienteering, Medicinal Plants, Canning, Alternative Communication/Ham.

This by no means is an exhaustive list of what is possible, just some opinions/interests expressed today. But, on that note, we (some of us in the class today) are working on a Cheese Making class that will be held at Petersham Gun Club on either January 19 or January 26.

Anyone interested in joining the Cheese making class? Got a topic you can teach?

Thanks for the kudo's folks ! It was great seeing you regulars and even better getting to meet up with new folks.

I'm really looking forward to the cheese making class, and I'll be canning butter as soon as I find the time !

Last edited:
Thanks Mr & Mrs Twigg. And FSTC
+1

My wife and I had a great time and learned a lot. When my wife was a kid, her mother and grandparents canned all types of meat, fruit and vegetables but she has never done it on her own. This helped her fill in a lot of the blanks.

Doh!!!
I did
What a retard!

We stopped at BK in the Twin City Plaza on the way home. When I was reaching in my back pocket, the kid at the register was staring at my shirt, my name tag was dangling half way off my shirt from underneath my coat [laugh].

Thanks for the great class, Mr. & Mrs. Twigg. We'll give our canner a try in the upcoming days.

As for the follow-up it seems diatribe is at least interested.

Have a safe week everyone.

Sent from my mobile device.

Thanks for giving me the confidence that I wouldn't kill someone with eColi. The next day I opened up the new canner and canned some chicken thighs and meatloaf. I don't know about long term storage though. I already ate some. [smile] Pretty danm tastey.

2012-12-07182427.jpg

Back
Top Bottom