Update: Post 26 - Class is on ! Petersham Gun Club, Saturday Dec 1st at 1:00 pm

How did the meatloaf turn out? I recall Twigg saying something about ground beef turning to mush.

How did the meatloaf turn out? I recall Twigg saying something about ground beef turning to mush.

Kind of like the consistancy of canned dog food but it sliced up nice for ML sandwiches. Still tasted good though.

I dropped some Bell seasoning dehydrated minced onion, celery flakes and sea salt in the chicken and it came out good. Could have used a bit more salt but that can be added later.

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for how many pounds of meat per quart jar (raw packed)? I'd like to do our first test with a couple jars of chicken but I'm not ready to do 7 jars at once. So, wondering how much chicken to buy.

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for how many pounds of meat per quart jar (raw packed)? I'd like to do our first test with a couple jars of chicken but I'm not ready to do 7 jars at once. So, wondering how much chicken to buy.

Mine came out to to a little under 2 pounds per quart.

Kind of like the consistancy of canned dog food but it sliced up nice for ML sandwiches. Still tasted good though.

Interesting, I'm going to try canning meatloaf but will be baking it in pint jars in the oven first anddraining the grease off then processing in the steam canner.

That'll be a seperate thread. [smile]

Prepper; try doing pints first and remember large chunks are better after processing.

Last edited:
Interesting, I'm going to try canning meatloaf but will be baking it in pint jars in the oven first anddraining the grease off then processing in the steam canner.

That'll be a seperate thread. [smile]

I look forward to that. It sounds like a clever way of canning them... I was thinking of baking meatloaf the usual way then scooping into the jars, but skipping a step is good.

Some people out there like to complain about meatloaf and use it as the subject of food-related jokes. I'm not sure why though. I'm pretty sure I could eat meatloaf every meal, every day indefinitely and not get tired of it. I love the stuff. So, if we can figure out a way to can it successfully, I may actually look forward to the zombie apocalypse.

Would those of you with whom I chatted, at the meat canning class, about a group meat buy please PM me.

I have "misplaced" the notebook in which I wrote your information. I have made a few calls and gotten some information about the price and the process that I would like to share with you.

Thanks a bunch!

Would those of you with whom I chatted, at the meat canning class, about a group meat buy please PM me.

I have "misplaced" the notebook in which I wrote your information. I have made a few calls and gotten some information about the price and the process that I would like to share with you.

Thanks a bunch!

Pm inbound

Thanks a bunch!

Yikes, I just caught this too. One month later.

Back
Top Bottom