• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

*UPDATE* FOUND OUT WHY MY SIG SHOT LOW**

yanici

NES Member
I am a happy camper.

Recap: My Sig 229, .40 was shooting consistantly low. Tried 4 types of ammo...no dice. Sent it back to Sig, they said they adjusted the sights and sent me a perfect test target that they shot with 180 grain Lawman ammo. I took gun to range with 180 gr. ammo and it shot low. I'm pissed.

PAGE 2: Went out and bought 7 more different brand .40 cal. ammo cartridges. I went to the range and shot them all. Come to find out my gun hates 180 grain ammo. It shot the 165 grain Lawman and Blazer great. It really shined with a 1" group shooting Speer Gold Dot 165gr. HP (my carry round).

PAGE 3: Went out and bought 15 boxes of Blazer, 165 grain. Sold all my 180 grain ammo. Gonna go buy 10 more boxes tomorrow.

I always loved the gun but couldn't stand the inaccuracy. Now I really love the gun. Nothing like the feel of a Sig in your hand!

Just curious. Have you heard anyone else having this problem? A friend of mine has a 229 .40 (3yrs old) and had a similar issue, but never looked into why, I think he was blaming his grip. No where near as thorough of an investigation as you though.

I had a 226 that shot very low. Sent it back to Sig. The replaced the front sight with a shorter front sight. Problem solved. YMMV.

Just curious. Have you heard anyone else having this problem? A friend of mine has a 229 .40 (3yrs old) and had a similar issue, but never looked into why, I think he was blaming his grip. No where near as thorough of an investigation as you though.

There are many stories about the gun shooting low or even high. You've gotta figure out if it's shooter error, flynch, trigger pull, etc. or sights or ammo. Just gotta keep plugging 'til you get it.

I've had just the opposite experience.
Heavy and slow rounds shooting high and light fast ones shooting low.
The reason being, the heavy and slow round takes longer to travel down the barrel, thus more time for the muzzle to rise before the bullet exits the barrel.
Fast and light loads get down the barrel faster, thus less time for the muzzle to rise.

I have a older p226 and it shoots low. On my other guns that have adjustable sites I set them up as some call "Rising Sun" meaning that if the top of the front and rear site are kept even and the top of the sites were in the middle of target that is where the bullet would hit. I was told by a sig rep that they don't set the sites that way and the site picture was that the front and rear sites really block out the target. They said with defensive shooting your not taking time to aim that close. I am not really happy with it that way and for that reason don't use the p226 like I should. I didn't want to start buying lots of different front sites to find the one I wanted.

Somehow or another I'm not surprised. IMHO 155s or 165s are way better
in .40 S+W than 180s are, for a bunch of reasons.

-Mike

Somehow or another I'm not surprised. IMHO 155s or 165s are way better
in .40 S+W than 180s are, for a bunch of reasons.

-Mike

I remember you saying before that 180's didn't seem to fly right. I shoulda listened. Thing was that the Sig test target was shot with 180's.

Thanks for the info![grin]
I have a P226 that has never shot as well as I thought that it should.
I will try some lighter bullets and see if it helps.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom