• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Unissued" Yugo SKS?

I recently purchased a supposed "Unissued" Yugo SKS 59/66A1 from online. It's been sitting dissasembled for a few days while I finish cleaning up the VERY rough stock. Today I flipped the barrel and receiver checking for any cosmoline that may still be hiding beneath and noticed that there is a small gap where the barrel looks like it meets the receiver. Upon further inspection I noticed for th first time (not sure why I didn't catch it earlier) that the number on the barrel does not match the other numbers on the rifle. I'm a little suspicious now as the condition of the barrel seemed much better than that of the rest of the rifle.

So my two questions are:

1). Is this small gap where the barrel appears to screw into the receiver normal?

2). Is it common for the barrel not to match on these rifles? Could this really qualify as unissued?

Thank!

There is a 22mm "Flat" that is used for barrel installation. The gap that you are likely seeing is an opening into the threaded part of the receiver. The flat exposes a small opening on all threaded barreled SKS's.

None of the SKS barrels from any country are numbered to the serials of the gun. They are most likely production, fit and/or batch numbers.

Back
Top Bottom