Unique for .223?

Ewww who would want that? Talk about fouling up your gas system! Unique is the dirtiest, powder I have ever had the misfortune of using. People would ask me if I was shooting black powder with the smoke cloud I would leave!

Ewww who would want that? Talk about fouling up your gas system! Unique is the dirtiest, powder I have ever had the misfortune of using. People would ask me if I was shooting black powder with the smoke cloud I would leave!

Amen to that.

I don't recall seeing any loads for .223 using unique and even if you could there are much cleaner burning propellants to use.

I thought Unique was a pistol or shotgun powder. Run, don't walk to the nearest gun shop and buy a reloading manual.

I strongly concur.

Presumably, you are thinking about squib loads, since Unique is far to fast to be useful for a nominal full power .223 load. As a squib, you'd have a tiny amount of powder roaming around in a comparatively huge capacity case. At best, ignition (and hence accuracy) would be erratic; at worst, you'd have a spike.

Unique is not suitable for a high pressure application like the .223. Try WCC 844. Widener's has it on sale every once in a while; eight pounds for $49.95. Great stuff, my bull barreled AR will group just over two inches at 300 yds with this stuff and the Sierra 69 gr hpbt bullet.

Unique is not suitable for a high pressure application like the .223. Try WCC 844. Widener's has it on sale every once in a while; eight pounds for $49.95. Great stuff, my bull barreled AR will group just over two inches at 300 yds with this stuff and the Sierra 69 gr hpbt bullet.

Thanks! This is what I was after by asking. I was leary myself that Unique would make the grade, but since I've got quite a bit of it, I figured I'd ask. I'll try the WCC 844 [smile] .

Thanks again to all who posted useful info!

I've been using WC844 for years. I load using data from H335.

Unfortunatly the days of the cheap surplus are pretty much gone. Pat's and Bartlett has some but the cost is up to $100 per jug. On top of that you will have a $20.00 hazmat fee. Best way is to get a order of at least four jugs and beat the hazmat in some casaes as the dealer will pick up the cost.

Back
Top Bottom