• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Union-Leader "A primer on gun ownership in New Hampshire" almost accurate

With help from Penny Dean (but no byline at all) Union-Leader's "Public Safety" topic heading offers their nearly-accurate article "A primer on gun ownership in New Hampshire".

Here's a snippet of what the article says about carry licensing:
UL said:
People should check with the local police department or its website to get an application, fill out a form and wait up to 14 days for the community's designated person, who usually is the police chief, to rule on the application, which is good for at least four years.Applicants must give a proper purpose. Reasons may include hunting, target shooting or self-defense.
I fault them for not citing RSAs at all, and for not fully explaining "proper purpose", and the suggestion that P&R applicants "check with the local police department or its website to get an application" where the article should have just provided a link to the official state PDF.

What other mistakes does this article make?

Last edited:
With help from Penny Dean (but no byline at all) Union-Leader's "Public Safety" topic heading offers their nearly-accurate article "A primer on gun ownership in New Hampshire".

Here's a snippet of what the article says about carry licensing:

I fault them for not citing RSAs at all, and for not fully explaining "proper purpose", and the suggestion that P&R applicants "check with the local police department or its website to get an application" where the article should have just provided a link to the official state PDF.

What other mistakes does this article make?

The other statements look correct to me.

And those are the exact examples on the PRL Application.

My only gripe is that they call it a conceal carry license and never mention the real name for it (Pistol and Revolver License)

I've been out of the newspaper industry for.... 6 years. Coincidence?

I give them credit for consulting Penny Dean, and giving her credit at the end of the article.

And those are the exact examples on the PRL Application.
The article says "Applicants must give a proper purpose. Reasons may include...", but doesn't mention that the purpose you put on the application is essentially meaningless, unlike how things work in Massachusetts (the laws of which many readers may be more familiar).

The UL and quality/accuracy of their reporting has fallen far in the last 6 years
All newspapers have been going downhill since the advertising cash cow dried up, part of why I am out of that industry.

This is one of the least problematic newspaper articles I've seen in years, no significant factual errors or anti-gun diatribes. Kudos to the UL!

Last edited:
The UL and quality/accuracy of their reporting has fallen far in the last 6 years

When I saw they had endorsed Christie, I knew William Loeb must've been spinning in his grave

Back
Top Bottom