• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Undercut trigger IDPA legal?

The knuckle on my middle finger rubs the hell out of the trigger guard and I'm getting a bunion on it.

I've undercut the trigger guard on a few of my Glocks which really relieved the rubbing.

I've read it is IDPA legal for SSP on some forums but no one with definitive answers has chimed in.

Opinions?

Factory 1911's have undercut trigger guards as well as other production guns.

Last edited:
Ssp isn't Cdp. I don't have the rules handy, but I don't remember that as an allowable modification for Ssp. Best bet would be to email Rob Ray.

From the rule book for SSP modifications: http://idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list):
1. Sights may be changed to another conventional notch and post type (see “sights” in glossary for further information).
2. Grips may be changed to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration (no weighted grips; see “weighted grips” in glossary for further details).
3. A slip-on grip sock and/or skateboard tape may be used.
4. Internal action work may be used to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained (no visible external modifications allowed).
5. Reliability work may be done to enhance feeding and ejection.
6. Internal accuracy may be worked to include replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration and original caliber.
7. Plastic plugs may be used to fill the opening behind the magazine well.
8. Custom finishes may be applied.

NOTE: The slide releases and magazine releases that are standard
on the Glock 34 and 35 models are available as a factory option on
all Glocks available in the USA. Because of this, that type of slide
release and magazine release are legal on all Glocks for SSP.

EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list):
1. Externally visible modifications other than grips or sights.
2. Robar style grip reduction.
3. Add-on magazine well opening.
4. Guide rods made of a material different from the factory part it replaces.
5. Seattle Slug Grip Plug and similar weighted products.
6. A barrel of another caliber that is not offered in the original factory model.
7. Slide lightening (see “slide, lightening” in glossary for further information).
8. Checkering and stippling.
9. Refer to Appendix ONE-A. Firearms-Non-IDPA-Legal Modifications.

Based on this, unless you have direct feedback from IDPA stating otherwise, it would seem that it's a no-go for SSP.

What about for ESP?

PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list):
5. Checker frontstrap and backstrap.
6. Checker or square and checker trigger guard.

I'm not sure if undercutting is undercutting is allowed with 6? I'm wondering if there is an official ruling or rule clarification because I thought that things like glock grip reductions were allowed in ESP.

Generally, frame modifications of any sort are fine in ESP and CDP, but no-go in SSP.

Getting caught obviously depends on how large the undercut is.

Can you quote that from the rule book or rule clarification?

Of course not, that would make the rules predictable and equitable[grin]. That seems to be how HQ interprets it, however.

5. Checker frontstrap and backstrap.
6. Checker or square and checker trigger guard.
7. Cosmetic checkering/serrating.

It's not undercut, it's just that the front strap is very seriously "checkered".

If it makes you feel any better my M&P does the same thing. It irritates me as well. I don't have that problem with the revolver though.

If it makes you feel any better my M&P does the same thing. It irritates me as well.

Put a magwell on it see if the problem gets any better LOL :) Funny this thread came up I have been wondering how much material i can remove from the M&P before I remove to much material

Put a magwell on it see if the problem gets any better LOL :) Funny this thread came up I have been wondering how much material i can remove from the M&P before I remove to much material

Why do you guys feel compelled to tell us how you are making your guns illegal for the game we are referring to?? Sheshhh

Dave,
They are Evil Gamers, not a purist such as yourself.

Nah, me pure? Never. [devil]

But I play with these guys, running plenty of matches. Normally I won't even notice these things... until now when they are bringing it to my attention. [rolleyes]

This is one of those gray areas. I would encourage you to ask this question on the IDPA forum,or call up headquarters for a descision on this. I would tend to think it would push you to ESP, but I am just a lowly SO.

Why the IDPA rulebook is written the way it is is beyond what my mind can comprehend...

If you have an "Inclusive" list for mods- why do they even need to post a "Noninclusive" list of mods??

Inclusive list- good to go
Noninclusive list- screwed
Not in either section- depends on MD I guess.... although I'm of the mind that if the mod in NOT in the Inclusive list it's a no go...

Called IDPA headquarters.

You can undercut the trigger. It will put you in ESP.
Not for SSP.

They picked up the phone and talked to you about the rules? [shocked]

Now, if only they'd put these "addendums" into a document that people could refer to....

They picked up the phone and talked to you about the rules? [shocked]

Now, if only they'd put these "addendums" into a document that people could refer to....

Most of the written descisions are on the IDPA Forum in their own section.

Yup, they put them in the Rule's Clarification section of the IDPA forum. I e-mailed and got a response from Robert Ray yesterday about an equipment question.

Next you'll want them to print a new rulebook with the addendum incorporated and mail you a new card when your classification changes.

Doesn't everyone have a Blackberry/iPhone/Droid these days? Just look up the IDPA forum on the phone's browser [wink]

Yeah- maybe I should get an iPad... I have a Droid but damn if I can read stuff on that small screen! lol

Back
Top Bottom