unburned powder

ok. i am new to reloading. i am shooting a 45 ACP with a 185gr Hornady XTP hollow point, Accurate #5 powder and CCI Primers. when i shoot i have a bit of unburned powder in the action of the gun. what could clear up this problem

Is it really unburned powder (flakes) or just excessive crud left behind from
firing? If it's not burning well try cranking the charge up or down a
bit.

One thing I noticed about AA#5 load data for .45 ACP is the charge weights
are pretty high in their data, even for start charges. You might want to
try using a different powder that simply uses a lower charge weight for the
desired velocity, this might result in a cleaner burn.

-Mike

And, it could actually be "blow back" from not crimping tight enough.

45 ACP should have a good solid taper crimp, just before the roll crimp kicks in on your crimp die.

The test for whether you have a good crimp is to shoot some rounds at a distance from the muzzle o the gun to a blank piece of paper of about 3-5 feet. If you only get a good clean hole where the bullet went through, the crimp is good. If, however, you get a hole PLUS a neat spiral star shaped pattern outside the hole, that's powder that burned outside of the cartridge, and was forced down the barrel, through the lands and grooves, hence the shape of the pattern.

If you get that pattern, then it's a good bet that the excess residue that you're seeing on the gun is also from the crimp issue (blow back residue).

Check the target pattern, as described above, and report back.

If he's not crimping properly, ANY powder will give him residue issues. True, 231 is cleaner burning than what he used. Titegroup is also a clean burning powder.

He still has to crimp properly.

I await a test range firing report on the spiral pattern.

Or use W231. It burns clean and you will use less of it and it is one of the most accurate powders in the 45ACP, especially for cast bullets.

+1 on WW 231. I find the easiest way to establish the proper crimp is to observe the mark the crimp die leaves on the case mouth. A width of .035 is evidence of the proper crimp.

I've seen some cases which collapsed when almost any mark is there.
"Just tight enough" is fine, if tight enough gets you to where there's no spiral powder burns on a piece of clean white paper at short distance from the muzzle. It's a trial and error thing, and be sure to lock in your lock rings when you get there.

+1 on WW 231. I find the easiest way to establish the proper crimp is to observe the mark the crimp die leaves on the case mouth. A width of .035 is evidence of the proper crimp.

I've seen some cases which collapsed when almost any mark is there.
"Just tight enough" is fine, if tight enough gets you to where there's no spiral powder burns on a piece of clean white paper at short distance from the muzzle. It's a trial and error thing, and be sure to lock in your lock rings when you get there.

Using the method I described, I have never damaged a case in hundreds of thousands of rounds loaded.

Back
Top Bottom