Ultramax Ammo ? ? ?

081019_TAB_09_VerA_img_325233101.jpg

Ultramax Bulk Pack $39.98 ~ SAVE 33% ~ ( Reg. $59.99) thru Oct 25

• .45 150-pack, .40 225-pack, .38 200-pack or 9mm 250-pack

I’m not up on most things yet but could someone answer a few questions about a certain ammo for me? The ammo is on sale at Dick’s and I couldn’t find where they explained just what kind of ammo it was, so I Googled it and I believe it said it is “Remanufactured” ammo.

> Who has had some experience with this ammo?
> Is it reloads?
> How good is it?
> The prices seem rather decent even for reloads, are they?
> It doesn’t mention anything about exchanging brass or charging a deposit, etc., do they?

Thanks for any advice.

They are reloads. I have used them, they shoot fairly clean, and they seem OK for plinking. I have also heard hearsay on AR15.com that there have been some issues with this ammo, but I haven't had any problems with it (shot about 150 rounds). Subjectively, it shoots a little like Wolf ammo, i.e., it seems a little more lightly loaded than NATO or US military spec ammo I have shot.

I've shot a couple hundred rounds of the .38 special 158gr semi wadcutters. Every round went off, and it hit what i was aiming at. Left my SP101 nice and sooty after, but i clean my guns after every range trip anyway.

This ammo is remanufactured (factory reloaded). No brass exchange when you buy it or deposit. The box I got had several different headstamps, some nickel plated brass, some with primer crimps removed (rough and deep cuts).

My verdict is that the .38 special may be worth buying if you don't reload and are just shooting pins or paper for fun. New Remington UMC 9mm can be bought for the same price as ultramax. I don't shoot .45 or .40 so I can't comment on those prices.

hminsky ~ xstickfightx ~ MrTwigg

Thanks gents for the info on the Ultramax ammo. I think I'll give it a go to see how it does, just for plinking anyhow and if I can salvage half or more of the brass, all the better.

I still don't reload (stupid me), but I do buy the UM .45 LRN. LRN can be hard to find and is the only ammo allowed for our indoor range at the club.

I bought and shot a box of the 38spl. No duds or any mishaps but extremely filthy ammo. Black carbon deposits/streaks everywhere on your gun and body. Use it outside only or if your range has a good indoor ventilation system. It's very smokey.

IMHO, not worth it but YMMV.

I've put 1000s of rounds of these in .45 ACP through my Para without a jam or squibb.

They are lead round nose and are reliable. Used them for practice and competition. I have 500 still in the safe, but may buy a few more boxes at this 2006 pricing!

Shoot it up.

I have used the 223 ammo. Worked fine, no problems in my Bushmaster. I checked out the brass, all that I have looked at have had a Lake City headstamp.

I had a couple nasty case head separations with Ultramax .223 in my AR-15. One put my AR out of commission for an entire day of training when a chunk of the brass ripped off and got stuck above the bolt. I was told the problems were a result of brittle brass cause by the way they treat the brass before reloading it.

I haven't heard any complaints regarding the pistol ammo, but for rifle ammo I'd skip Ultramax and go with a more reliable reloader.

I've shot close to 500 rounds of Ultramax 223 through my M4 and never had an issue. As for pistol, I've probably shot over 1500 rds between my 1911 and M&P without issue as well. Like pj150 said, the pistol ammo is pretty smokey if you are shooting indoors but always goes bang for me. After hearing TonyDedo's experience though I think I'll take a closer look at the rounds before loading them.

I've shot close to 500 rounds of Ultramax 223 through my M4 and never had an issue. As for pistol, I've probably shot over 1500 rds between my 1911 and M&P without issue as well. Like pj150 said, the pistol ammo is pretty smokey if you are shooting indoors but always goes bang for me. After hearing TonyDedo's experience though I think I'll take a closer look at the rounds before loading them.

I'm up closer to 1,500 through my Colt. Never a single issue whatsoever. I don't notice the rifle to be any more dirty after a couple hundred rounds than with any other ammo, reman. or not. I definitely don't like hearing this (TonyDedo's experience) though.

I won't use ultramax. I've seen enough issues with it (jamming up guns) to give it the black cross. Their QC is "unpredictable" at best.

Some of their loads are also seriously weak- their 10mm reloads were the weakest 10mm loads I've ever seen. They were even weaker than M+M's already weak 10mm loads. (and both of these are weaker than even off the shelf 10mm commercial ammo, which while not quite norma spec, at least is most of the way there. )

-Mike

i actually just tried this stuff in .223 for my AR.

cant complain. was PLENTY accurate, no FTF's and a quick inspection of the rounds i got revealed no defects.

i'll probably try their 9mm rather soon. i'm DONE shooting remington UMC. stuff is garbage.

i just got 100 rounds of this stuff in .223

are they 55gr? it's NOT indicated anywhere on the box...

so I've heard - after a brief search on NES.

i'm going to shoot it through the bolt-action though. so lets HOPE it goes well.

i inspected the brass, looks good to me.

i have Black Hills .223 (my favorite) as well... so should be a good experience.

Ultramax 55gr. is $19.99 / box at ZHA -

Black Hills 55gr. is $25 / box at Four Seasons... *they are closer to me, hence I shop there [wink]

i'll post a range report here tomorrow afternoon / early evening.

this was the first failure of any kind i ever had with the ultramax... other than that i am very happy with the ammo and like it much more than UMC as far as "cheap" ammo goes.

hopefully it will play a little nicer in a bolt action. [smile]

We had a customer come in fired up about his experience with Ultramax 9mm in his Beretta 92FS. He must have bought a bad batch, as he had several, (as in 10-15) FTF's FTE's FTF, (fire). He said the ammo felt "weak" and ran several other brands through his gun to make sure it wasn't him...It wasn't.

what did the 9mm run him from DSG? i saw it but never really took a second look at it as i didn't feel like cleaning up after un-jacketed ammo. didn't think it would be worth it.

what did the 9mm run him from DSG? i saw it but never really took a second look at it as i didn't feel like cleaning up after un-jacketed ammo. didn't think it would be worth it.

I believe it's $69.99 for the 250-pack...I can never remember, but will check tonight. I did some plate shooting with this stuff a few years ago out of my Uzi. The only issue I had was with a failure to fire, but otherwise, it all ran....

range report!

it works.

shot 50 rounds of it between my Savage 10 and an AR.

got the usual sub-1" groups on a good run, but over all within 1.5" @ 100yards.

so i'm guessing they are 55gr.

i'll use this stuff in the future if i see it.

the brass does look kinda funky, but it works. so, WRT the brass, is it once-fired? so if i give the brass away, it's twice fired? [laugh]

serious question....

Ultramax = thumbs up from chetD

chetD said:
so i'm guessing they are 55gr.
[...]
the brass does look kinda funky, but it works. so, WRT the brass, is it once-fired? so if i give the brass away, it's twice fired? [laugh]

serious question....
52 gr. is what's marked on all of my boxes. I only have the HP, but if they make it, I'd expect their ball ammo to be 55 gr.

The brass is kinda ugly, yes. I'm hoping that twice fired stuff is OK, because I've been collecting all of it in order to turn it over when I eventually do a Qmmo purchase.

I searched the KB! incident in Google. Didn't find what the cause was, but I did find that Ultramax supposedly stepped up and made things right.

I remember reading somewhere about a kaboom with Ultramax. If you type in "kaboom Ultramax ammo" it will yield some interesting reading....

I read this too about several people having that issue. So now I am nervous shooting off my remaining stock from several years ago.

Back
Top Bottom