Two Tens on the MN Rarity Scale (pics)

The chances of running across as many uncommon Mosin Nagants as I have recently are usually pretty slim. In the past month and a half, I've introduced three of the more scarce models - a Finn 1905 Tula, Finn '21 Izhevsk Dragoon configuration, and the Polish 8mm conversion WZ91/98/25.

Today, I'll introduce two more on the 10 rarity scale as rated from 7.62X54r.net

1. 1917 Remington M91 Japanese Single Shot Trainer - non import
2. 1939 Izhevsk M38 in the original short stock configuration - possible Finn, non import.

J_Trainer_001.jpg

The trainer is from the Meiji-Dai-Semmon-Bu (Meiji University) School. It was built in the US, sold to Russia, captured and converted by the Japanese, captured by the US, and then returned to America after WWII.

J_Trainer_007.jpg

Ja_Train_004.jpg

Ja_Train_002.jpg

Ja_Train_003.jpg

Ja_Train_006.jpg

The M38 in the original stock is a possible Finn capture, and I'm still waiting on confirmation as to whether the "2" stamp on the upper side receiver tang is found on Finn rifles only. No SA or D mark to make identification easy. No import marks also puts this at a pre-1968 transfer to the US. Note the short rear handguard extension.

early_M38_001.jpg

Early_M38_002.jpg

early_M38_006.jpg

early_M38_015.jpg

Thanks for looking, guys!

This one retains the 7.62X54 caliber, while I've heard of other East European trainers being converted to .22cal.

A few examples that I've been able to raise in searches are altered in the chamber to accept only blanks, as Ray stated. And some had the floorplate/trigger housing welded to the receiver. I'm fortunate with mine, as it has a shiney bore, crisp rifling, and unaltered chamber and a removable guard. I could load a round and fire away!

A Gunboards member (seinen) tracks these Japanese Mosins in a database as he sees them. He has just under 30 recorded from both Russian and US manufacturers.

The removeable trigger guard is somewhat interesting. Made of three pieces of cold rolled steel, with a thinner dust cover riveted to the upper rear, and a front lug either welded or braised to the upper front.

Ja_Train_007.jpg

Ja_Train_008.jpg

Ja_Train_009.jpg

Ja_Train_010.jpg

I'm always interested where stuff like this is found. Was it offered for sale somewhere and you stumbled on it or was it on a web site or forum?

I love seeing this stuff, keep posting them. :)

For some reason, they fall in my lap, Ray. I can't argue!

Last night in the middle of a blizzard, I got a call from a kid who need $125, and he delivered another Remington.

A3-03_002.jpg

A3-03_003.jpg

A3-03_004.jpg

A3-03_005.jpg

A3-03_010.jpg

Last edited:
That would be Greenbacks. Good ole Deutsche Mark is gone since 9 years.
Unfortunately it is a hell of a hassle to get one out of the U.S.. IMHO one is to import a
40' container to make it worthwile.

great score

My friend you have me beat!!! Great finds. The number 2 stamp appears on a few of my rifles in various locations. Some on the tang, some on the side of the receiver and others on the stock. I sent pics to Vic on gunboards and he also thinks that it may be a Finn rework mark. Either way you sure did good!!![smile][smile][smile].

Heck I haven't taken a trip overseas lately, maybe i should travel to Germany, know anybody I could travel with to show me some of the rifles I cant purchase[crying]

Back
Top Bottom