Two new pick-ups! 1873 Trapdoor and 1903 Remington Picture Heavy!

Hey Guys!

Saw two of these rifles. Always had a soft spot for Trapdoors but this one didn't fit the bill of what I'm looking for. I only bought it to get a package deal together to convince the seller to give me a better deal. Came from the seller's grandfather's estate who was a WWI pilot. That didn't have any weight on my purchase. Just neat tidbit. I saw the remington (I already have one but this one is definitely an upgrade!) I thought if the trapdoor was as nice I would keep it since I've been searching for the right one. Unfortunately, this is not the one I am I looking for so I'll probably sell it. Like I said I took it as a gamble to get a better deal on the 1903 Remy. I also know very little about trapdoors. I'm "better" at 1903s but hardly an expert.

Here's the trapdoor. Model 1873. Very nice bore. Great rifling and a lot of shine left. The metal is very nice a lot of original bluing. Nice crisp stamps, no cartouches on the stock which was disappointing. But other than that a very nice rifle. SA engraving on the lock plate is semi-faded but most still present and crisp. Missing the ramrod but not a big deal.

Now here's the gem I was after. I LOVE SA products very much. But 1903's have a special place in my heart. (And a certain Librarian on this forum has not helped! You know who you are!) The C stock is not correct, it's a Keystone replacement stock. BUT. most major parts are correctly marked with an "R"

Following parts I have found marked with an "R"
Bolt (blued but most likely A3)
Cutoff
Floorplate and triggerguard
Upper barrel band/bayonet lug
Rear sight assembly
Front sight blade
front sight blade protector

I suppose I really need a R marked smooth buttplate (current one is unmarked), bolt and stock to make it really hit home.

What I really like is the breech is in the white so it has not been re-blued or parkerized. The parkerizing is original.

Correct barrel

C stock is nice but notice the repair. I'm fairly certain I can fix that up so it's less noticeable.

I guess I need a Boxed RLB cartouched finger grasping groove stock to make it more correct. (Hold your laughter I know that's rare has hen's teeth)

It's quickly becoming a favorite since she was reasonably cheap and so many correct parts.

J.C. Harrison's The Collectible '03 has been the best resource ever!

Sorry I'm no photographer just took the best pictures I could with my new phone using natural lighting and cropping out debris.

I'll let the jury decide. What do you guys think?

That trapdoor is an 1884 model, not an 1873. You'll find 1873 breechblocks on 1884s because they are interchangeable and they had a bunch leftover in the early runs of the model 1884 manufacture. By the serial is was made in late 1888 or early 1889.

I know where you can get a ramrod if you need one.

Nice early remington too! I picked up one recently myself that's from the modified period and it too was nearly all correct. I think only the front sight was not R marked and the handguard may be replaced, otherwise correct. Can't wait to shoot it!

You can clean up that trapdoor nicely with some murphy's oil soap for the stock followed by tung oil rubdown and CLP + bronze wool on the metal parts. It won't damage them or remove bluing, just grime. Mine looked much like yours and now looks like this: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/262112-My-new-to-me-1884-Springfield-Trapdoor

They are so much fun to shoot too just be sure you get trapdoor specific ammo for it!

Nice early remington too! I picked up one recently myself that's from the modified period and it too was nearly all correct. I think only the front sight was not R marked and the handguard may be replaced, otherwise correct. Can't wait to shoot it!

You can clean up that trapdoor nicely with some murphy's oil soap for the stock followed by tung oil rubdown and CLP + bronze wool on the metal parts. It won't damage them or remove bluing, just grime. Mine looked much like yours and now looks like this: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/262112-My-new-to-me-1884-Springfield-Trapdoor

They are so much fun to shoot too just be sure you get trapdoor specific ammo for it!

Wow just wow on your trapdoor. My biggest gripe with mine is I can't find any cartouches. Maybe I will take your advice and clean this up before selling it. I'll admit I'm a sucker for stock cartouches!

Yours turned out absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

As for the correction on it being 1884 thanks for letting me know. I'm learning as I go with these.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you explain bronze wool. I'm not familiar with that. Is bronze softer than steel to prevent damaging the surface?

That trapdoor is an 1884 model, not an 1873. You'll find 1873 breechblocks on 1884s because they are interchangeable and they had a bunch leftover in the early runs of the model 1884 manufacture. By the serial is was made in late 1888 or early 1889.

I know where you can get a ramrod if you need one.
This.

My 89' 1884 has a 1873 block as well. Once you locate a rear sling swivel, a nice M1887 sling will go nice on the trapdoor. I got a decent repro off of the CMP forums.

As for your correct stock, I was able to find two Mark I stocks in my '03 Mark I restoration project in about three days, so it's probably not as hard as you think. Go to the CMP forums and post a WTB.

Last edited:
I know where you can get an original sling for $100. Lots of fun shooting my SPAM veteran (12th NY, 1892 M88), and very good at murdering pumpkins.

T

Last edited:
Wow just wow on your trapdoor.

Can you explain bronze wool. I'm not familiar with that. Is bronze softer than steel to prevent damaging the surface?

Thanks! I was thrilled with how it turned out. The stock was pretty much black when I got it, though I could see the cartouche clearly. I think it was hung over someone's fireplace or something. The metal above the wood was grimey but below was just fine.

Bronze wool is indeed softer than steel and is recommended by the trapdoor experts for cleaning since it won't remove the blue. You can find it at boat/marine supply stores like the one in woburn.

If you decide to strip it down and clean it, you need to go VERY slowly and use the right sized screwdrivers so you don't slip and damage anything. Also when taking the barreled action out of the stock, you need to be really careful to do it uniformly front to back. If you try to lift it out muzzle end first, you'll chip the wood at the tang. Turn it upside down in a gun vice or even on the carpet so you can take it out gently and evenly.

You should be able to find a sling swivel on ebay without too much trouble. I may have a source for a stock too if you don't find the cartouche under the grime.

Is there any proof stamp? Should be a script P in the usual spot for proofs. Can you post a closeup of the band springs on the right side?

I know where you can get an original sling for $100. Lots of fun shooting my SPAM veteran (12th NY, 1892 M88), and very good at murdering pumpkins.

T

If you can, school me on the end of your rifle. Sight hood? You also look like it has a second barrel band near the muzzle. My Trapdoor looks like the one in the OP.

My Trapdoor actually came with a real M1887 sling, but I replaced it with a repro as the original was looking a little worse for wear and I didn't want to risk snapping it. Still have it in my ammo cabinet.

Last edited:
If you can, school me on the end of your rifle. Sight hood? You also look like it has a second barrel band near the muzzle. My Trapdoor looks like the one in the OP.

My Trapdoor actually came with a real M1887 sling, but I replaced it with a repro as the original was looking a little worse for wear and I didn't want to risk snapping it. Still have it in my ammo cabinet.

That's not a sight hood on the barrel. It's a protective cover for the relatively fragile font blade. They are meant to be removed for firing. The Marines changed the front sight blade to a taller and wider one which reduced the battle zero. They also redesigned the cover to act as a hood and left them on while firing. The Marine version centers the tip of the sight in the hood whereas the protector does not.

This is my reproduction Marine front sight and a hood I machined from bar stock.

The sight is made by Bill Bentz. He does the Marine rear leaf as well and I think he now making the Marines Corps type hood...stamped and formed as the originals were.

There's also a 3rd version of the 1903 sight cover that was used on the National Match 03s. Its taller and a bit wider than the typical one so it can be removed more easily, and its just for protection too like the original one. Its slightly smaller than the USMC sight hood. I recently had the chance to examine a couple of the NM ones to determine if they were USMC or NM since they were so much larger than the regular ones.

Mine is a M1888 which was Springfield's third and last attempt at a cleaning rod bayonet. Cartouche is 1892, and the SN dates it to August of 1892. Production ceased in 1893. There were two types of sight hoods in use at the time; a snap on a screwed on. Based on the bluing difference, mine originally had the screw on style.

I got a lot of information and the sight hood from: http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/

Here are pics with the repro sling before I got the original last month.

Sight hoods: http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/FrontSightCovers.html

T

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom