Two arrested, gun and drugs seized in Foxboro traffic stop

Dude, I can't tell you how many trafficking busts happen because of stupid equipment violations triggered a stop. Yeah, there is no entry exam in the drug profession.

just curious.. how close do you have to be to notice the sticker on the plates isn't current? and if it's mid-year, how long does it take to realize that a 2020 sticker expires in say November (due to renew), rather than in January (expired). Or is this something a "plate reader" pops up on the laptop? Seems like a difficult thing to notice compared to a broken headlight or taillight.

do just get lucky sometimes and pull up behind the bad guy to see something like this?

Not cop bashing, just trying to understand what could happen.

Dude, I can't tell you how many trafficking busts happen because of stupid equipment violations triggered a stop. Yeah, there is no entry exam in the drug profession.

Even your best criminal masterminds.

Both the OK City Bombing and the first World Trade Center bombing perps were found via. . . . rental truck records. "Hi. I wanna rent a truck. Here's my ID. I might vaporize it a few days from now. Will that affect my security deposit?"

If criminals were smart, there would be a ton more crime. And the perfect crime??? Hell, it hasn't even been discovered yet, let alone have a chance of being solved. But those are very very few and far between.

Seriously, isn't Rule 1: "Don't break the law when you're breaking the law"? If nothing's illegal until you get caught, at least start by making sure your tags are in order.

At the same time, it's literally all malum prohibitum, and wouldn't matter if we were actually a free society. Like sure, license and tags to confirm you understand the rules that we all play by on the roads - but there are tons of awful drivers, clearly the training isn't helping that much. /rant

I bet their ride wasn't screaming a "snow bird" or rental either.

Life of crime ... it's only matter of time getting caught.

If criminals were smart, there would be a ton more crime. And the perfect crime??? Hell, it hasn't even been discovered yet, let alone have a chance of being solved. But those are very very few and far between.

probably 99% are below average IQ and probably not making a whole lot of cash, as some research shows below min wage actually.

Smart criminals go into politics.

Smart people realize that crime is hard work. Being experienced in it means making mistakes - aka GETTING CAUGHT so OJT is not something you want. It's people BELIEVING it's a quick-buck sort of racket that get into it. Ditto for a street-level dope dealer. They make minimum wage or less. Work a ton more time. High risks of beatings, death or jail. Because if you can't do the math, it SEEMS like a good career move.

Wow, that is unlucky. Got stopped for expired tags, by a k9 unit no less! What bad luck.

or they got ratted on.

Forget the drugs, they had a .40, that's enough to give them at least 15 years.

And not just any .40, a Shield. Add another 5 years for that.

Lol, I was going to tag you but you got here first. I actually read it in the local paper this morning & knew you'd get a kick out of it.

Perhaps, just a matter of have-shared-database-connected-automated-license-plate-scanner, will travel.....

Just a few examples:

Automated License Plate Recognition (ALPR) technology is an important tool in police and military arsenals. The INEX TECHNOLOGIES’ ALPR system reads and stores license plates of passing vehicles into the IZCentral database for investigative use, reporting, data analysis, mapping, and sharing with various agencies. The ALPR Camera System and IZCentral software package enables the user to receive and display vehicle license plates, and to compare license plate data with existing vehicle databases such as BOLO (Be On the Lookout), blacklists and whitelists, stolen vehicles, etc. Officers can be alerted when a vehicle of interest has been identified.

Camera Options – Fixed or Mobile
A common expectation of ALPR is that car-mounted cameras will yield the greatest amount of usable data, with more arrests and case clearances than with cameras at fixed points. However, agencies are discovering that fixed points have resulted in highly valuable outcomes.

Fixed and Mobile Camera Advantages
There are two basic uses for ALPR data. One is the immediate “hit” on a wanted or stolen vehicle. The other is the investigative value of discovering patterns of movement of vehicles that may be associated with a crime. With fixed points, officers can stage “downstream” and intercept a suspected vehicle, allowing more planning time than if an alert had been received from a mobile camera. Therefore, agencies will be more likely to get live hits from fixed points, and more investigative value from mobile units.

--------------------------------------

----------------------------------------

• Automated license plate reader (ALPRs) systems combine high-speed cameras and sophisticated software to capture and convert license plate images into data that can be compared with information in other databases.
  • Cameras used in ALPRs may be mobile or stationary and are small enough to be mounted on police cars, road signs or traffic lights, or placed at the sides of roads or on bridges.
  • License plate reader systems can collect a driver’s geographic location, along with the date and time a vehicle was in a particular place.
Automated license plate readers (ALPRs) capture computer-readable images of license plates. These high-tech devices allow law enforcement agencies to compare plate numbers against those of stolen cars or cars driven by people suspected of being involved in criminal or terrorist activities. ALPR systems also are used by the private sector, for example, to repossess vehicles if payments are in default, to monitor parking or to control access to private property, among other purposes. As ALPR use has increased, state lawmakers have begun to address the complex issues they raise about privacy and appropriate uses of the data.

ALPRs are rapidly becoming widely used by law enforcement agencies. A 2012 survey by the Police Executive Research Forum found that 71 percent of police departments responding used the systems, and 85 percent planned to expand their use or purchase new equipment.

Back
Top Bottom