• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tula Small Pistol Primers

jhagberg88

NES Member
Has anyone ever had problems with running Tula SPP through a Dillon SDB?

I just ordered a good amount of them and was talking to a guy at work that has a XL650 an said he had all sorts of problems running them through his. Im wondering if anyone has had similiar experiences with the SDB.

Jason

No experience with the SDB but I have run Tula SP through both my 1050 and 550 with no problems except for the occasional "dud". This FTF (no go on restrike) is less than 1% so it is no problem for practice ammo. I use WW for matches.

I've been running a crapload of Wolf small primers through an Sq Deal B with no issues. I'm pretty sure that Wolf and Tula are similar.

I had some issues with Tula small rifle primers seating. Using the Dillon Super Swage seems to help.

Stretching out a primer hole to fit a primer probably isnt the best idea. Primers will be cheaper than replacing brass. I am not trying to flame Glasgow in any way, i just have a different opinion about primers.

Stretching out a primer hole to fit a primer probably isnt the best idea. Primers will be cheaper than replacing brass. I am not trying to flame Glasgow in any way, i just have a different opinion about primers.

The best way is probably to just toss the primers and buy new ones. If you can find them. It was a solution that worked for me.

I had some issues with Tula small rifle primers seating. Using the Dillon Super Swage seems to help.

Did the brass previously have a crimped primer pocket?

- - - Updated - - -

The Dillon swaging tool doesn't "stretch out a primer hole." It simply swages the primer pocket to the proper specifications.

I've run Tula SP primers through two 550's with virtually no problems. As Gammon stated, an occasional FTF but few and far between. Guessing at this count between 15-20K.

Did the brass previously have a crimped primer pocket?

- - - Updated - - -

The Dillon swaging tool doesn't "stretch out a primer hole." It simply swages the primer pocket to the proper specifications.

The primer pocket swager opens up the mouth of the pocket only to remove the crimp.

I've been running a crapload of Wolf small primers through an Sq Deal B with no issues. I'm pretty sure that Wolf and Tula are similar.

Wolf is made by the Murom Apparatus Producing Plant of Muron, Russia. These were at one time (and maybe currently) sold under the PMC name in addition to Wold, and probably others.

I had problems with Tula primers in striker fired pistols...Kel-tec and an M&P9. The cups were too tough for the striker to ignite. Refiring them in a Beretta or other S&Ws fired them off no problem.

As far as seating them they all went in fine.

Back
Top Bottom