Tula Ammo .308

I just picked up a single shot H&R Handi-Rifle in .308, does anyone have any experience with the Tula Ammo in that caliber for that type of rifle? I have some higher quality ammo for hunting, I was just looking for plinking ammo that was cheap, and at 8.97 a box at Walmart it doesn't get much cheaper.

It's dirty- lots of black carbon on my bolt and chamber area. But it's cheap. I treat all russian ammo as corrosive, so I never got a chance to watch my FAL rust if it was supposed to after shooting it.

It's not as accurate as match ammo or NATO surplus down the pipe, but then again, a FAL isn't exactly dead nuts anyways.

Thanks flintoid, I appreciate the input. I'm sure its about as dirty as they come. I think that it will function how I want it to in the break action H&R. I was planning on blasting some evil orange pumpkins, and didn't want to waste the Hornady Superformance rounds I had on those.

It's dirty- lots of black carbon on my bolt and chamber area. But it's cheap. I treat all russian ammo as corrosive, so I never got a chance to watch my FAL rust if it was supposed to after shooting it.

It's not as accurate as match ammo or NATO surplus down the pipe, but then again, a FAL isn't exactly dead nuts anyways.

It's definitely NOT corrosive.

You'll surely have to reload for .308 Win. now that you have that handi-rifle. With a SS rifle like that you can load all manner of fodder from plastic riot bullets (see link below) to light cast loads to the full power stuff. Just think how many simple 130g LRN's (Lyman 311410, for example) could be loaded with a pound of Red Dot or Trail Boss...neat!
http://polygunbag.com/.308SouthAfricanPlasticTipsLargerView.html
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details-rifles.php?entryID=45

I was pleasantly pleased with the rifle, and with the Hornady Superformance ammo. It held a couple of 2 shot groups that were pretty much touching each other. I will definitely consider reloading eventually. But for now, I'll just use what I can find on the shelves.

Well, I decided to buy some of the Tula .308 to try out. I guess I'll give my range report, hopefully with some pics, later tonight or tomorrow if I have a chance. Hopefully its good enough for pumpkins!

Regarding Silver Bear, I've noticed the galvanized coating tends to oxidize rather quickly, so I would shoot that ammo first. I'm not saying it is anything harmful, but it does tend to turn quickly (7.62x39 has been my only experience).

Ok guys, here is my official range report on the Tula .308 rounds I purchased.

First some details:

Rifle: H&R Handi-Rifle w/el-cheapo scope (4-12 power)included in rifle purchase
Distance: 50 yards
Rest: Wobbly stack of wood (LOL)
Ammo: Tula .308 150gr FMJ

photo-12.jpg

photo-11.jpg

photo-10.jpg

The rounds all impacted perfectly along the center horizontal line, however they all hit approximately 4" lower than the Hornady Superformance SST rounds (which I'm sighted in for) did. These pictures represent the best photos that I had taken (kind of dark at the range). I did notice that they were a little dirtier than the Hornady, however I am pleasantly surprised with how they performed compared to the Superformance rounds. At 50 yards with a somewhat wobbly rest, to put a 3 shot group within a penny using "not of quality rounds" was pretty impressive. These will definitely be coming with me to the Pumpkin shoot, as I am now confident that they will have no problem assisting me in the devastation of some "Evil Pumpkins"

Back
Top Bottom