Tula .223 ammo report

Ok, I wasn't going to bring the Wolf ammo thread back up and figured I would start something a little fresher for the Tula.

In case you don't know of it, Tula ammo is sold through Cablea's as a generic 'Hunters Cartridge' in the .223 caliber. I have a Cabela's very local to me (2 miles) and a few months ago I was wandering through there and spotted it so I figured I would do a little research on it and pick up a few hundred rounds to give it a whirl.

The research was nothing more then general Google questions about it and looking through Wiki. I won't bore anyone with a lot of stuff so I will just say that i learned a few key points:
-Ammo is steel cased and made at the Tula ammo facility in Russia
-Steel cased FMJ rounds. Available in .55 and .62- I only have experience with the .55
-No known case seizure issues like the old Wolf that I could find
-Tendency to run dirt in the gun
-I found a few that complained of bad, missing or incorrect primers and bad bullet seating/crimps

For reason #4 I always inspect my ammo at the store. I have no problem opening up a box and looking at what I am getting. I found a total of 3 rounds (all from different 20 round boxes) that were bad thus far.

My initial buy was 260 rounds which @ $3.99/box cost me about $52. I took all this to a range and loaded it up in P-mags and ran it through my LMT gun which is chambered for 5.56 with a 1:7 twist, H buffer, PWS FSC 556 and about 7k rounds through the gun. Up until now I had been running Lawman xm193 through it for about 800 without cleaning. I took notes on how dirty the gun was for comparison then cleaned it and re-oiled using Slip 2000 making it a fresh start.

I took the first magazine which I loaded 10 rounds in just to get a first impression. I fired the first shots and noticed no issues and inspected the casings for abnormalities and found none.

I then loaded up mags for two serials of shooting. The first one was a 90 round session over 20 minutes. Several fast shots but most at a slow methodical pace. During that session I had no issues and I checked casings again during a 10 minute break and found no abnormalities.

After the break I took the rest of the mags and shot the remaining 149 rounds in roughly 5 minutes. This was done as quick 10 shot drills and transitions from target to target. At the end I left one round in the chamber and let the gun cool down as it was quite warm. What I was trying to do was see if I could get the round to seize in the chamber like the old Wolf would do. After the gun had cooled I shotgunned the lower so as not to have pressure on the bolt so I could gauge how much force was used to extract. The round extracted very easily with no indications of seizure due to coating.

Once I got home I pulled the gun apart to inspect and didn't really notice any difference as far as the ammo running dirtier. Though my comparative round count was much lower then what I was running.

I decided to start buying more of the Tula ammo and actually use it for flat range training days. Over the next 3 months I put just over 2,000 rounds of Tula through my gun with only one failure. That round failed to fire when the hammer fell. I just ejected it and kept rocking. Later I picked up the round and noticed what appeared to be a light strike. I dropped it in the gun, closed the bolt and it still did not fire. I chalk it up a bad primer.

This brings me up to 19 June where I attended an LMS Defense 1 day Carbine Course. I had still not cleaned the gun and ran nearly 700 rounds of Tula ammo through it. Total round count for me was 740 that day and I had zero issues with the ammo. Now at nearly 3,000 rounds I pulled the gun apart for a good inspection. I would say the gun is a little dirtier but nothing that concerns me. My idea of a cleaning is done in 15 minutes and it is basically pulling it all apart, wiping it down, a quick run through the bore then reassemble and oil..and thats not often.

What I did find was that I blew up one of my gas rings on the bolt. It never had a hiccup and I must have done it sometime within the last 2 months.

For me, it's good cheap training ammo. I am going through roughly 10k rounds a year and that can get pretty spendy so I will keep shooting this as long as I can.

If you are a percision shooter or one who doesn't like a dirty gun then I don't think this is for you. I have gotten consistent results with it's accuracy including this past weekend in hitting 7 out of 10 shots to the face on a terrorist target (paper, not people) from 200 meters in the prone unsupported with a Primary Arms micro 4MOA dot site. However if you are someone who is looking for a pretty good and cheap training round then this might just work out well for you. At only about $200 per/ 1k case The Tula Hunter's Cartridge in .223 .55 grain is a pretty good bargain if you shoot a lot.

Just some info I thought I would share [grin]

-Op4

I also bought about 500 rds of the Tula, and I haven't had any issues, but there is also another option for anyone who reloads or for some reason doesn't want to run steel cased, and that is the PMC bronze ammo that sells for about double the price of the Tula right now at Cabelas, still very affordable.

This ammo is polymer coated, not lacquered - there is no reason it should seize.

My Yankee Hill upper doesn't like the stuff but my other guns eat it up no problem.

Yeah I know it is poly rather then the old laquer. I was just trying to throw out some info out there.

I shot it sparingly last weekend, but it went through a mag dump in one rifle flawlessly, and then had a few failures to feed with a different rifle - but that was a magazine issue I think, rather than a rifle issue like I suggested above.

Back
Top Bottom