• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tuesday Night Steel Trophy Match, September 4, 2012

Greetings-

Our next (and dare we say last) Tuesday Night Steel match is September 4, 2012 just a few days ahead of the USPSA Area 7 match. Come down and get your steel on !

This has been a very successful program in its fledgeling season and to show our appreciation we are going to hold this as a trophy match.

More details here:

http://jayhirshberg.com/tuesday-night-steel/

And yes, those you you at that course in New Bedford can make it up to the match.[smile]

Best,
Jay

How do these work, aside from the information on the site? Not sure if I can make it in time from work in CT but it looks fun.

It looks fun because it IS fun! A number of stages of steel targets are setup starting around 3:30 (help setting up is always welcome). A little before 4:30 registration opens and you sign the waiver, pay your match fee, and declare your division. The group is broken down into squads and the match gets going. USPSA range commands and safety rules apply; if you're not familiar with these just let the match director (Jay, he'll be running the registration table) know and he'll have someone go over everything with you. Leave your gun bagged until you talk to him if this is the case. Bring your gun, ammo, as many mags as you have, and a way to carry it all around; preferably a holster and mag pouches. People that show up a little late are usually added to a squad during the match. People that show up a lot late can usually get in on a second round, but it's getting dark early now so not sure how late the match can go.

I've only been able to slip out of work for a couple of the matches but they're always a good time; it's competition but very low pressure and friendly. Last match I was at we had 2-3 shooters who hadn't done any action shooting competitions and they did just fine and had a blast. This'll be the last one for the season so if you miss out you'll have to wait until next year....you can always come up for the indoor plate match series though [wink][smile]

Thanks, it looks like fun. Will try to sneak out of work for it. Familiar with USPSA, so that shouldn't be a problem. However, a 2 hour drive IS a problem. :(

How about some more detailed directions?

Directions on how to shoot it, or to the club?

To club. 495 to exit 21A. @ first traffic light, turn right onto lumber st. Club entrance is 1.3 miles on the left. As you pull into the club grounds, follow the road through the gate on your left, right next to the pond. Follow all the way to the end where you will find the pistol pits.
Directions on how to win= "front sight, (or dot) gentle squeeze" I find this works much better than rapidly firing in the direction of the steel targets. [grin]

Damn Mike, those are tough directions! Every time that buzzer goes off, for some reason my front sight magically disappears and my trigger fingers starts to automatically spasm.

Seriously, this is a REAL FUN match, not to be missed if possible.

Update:

Trophies are in:
IMG_0840.jpg

They are very cool and patriotic. We have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for Production, Limited, and Open classes !

Jay

Directions on how to shoot it, or to the club?

To club. 495 to exit 21A. @ first traffic light, turn right onto lumber st. Club entrance is 1.3 miles on the left. As you pull into the club grounds, follow the road through the gate on your left, right next to the pond. Follow all the way to the end where you will find the pistol pits.
Directions on how to win= "front sight, (or dot) gentle squeeze" I find this works much better than rapidly firing in the direction of the steel targets. [grin]

Thanks. I usually work nights but this week I will be on vacation and thus can attend. I will becoming from Harvard SC, so I assume I will be taking 495 south to exit 21A?

Hey Jay,

Area 7 is next week, does this mean KC Manny and Max are coimg?
IT's ok i still plan to shoot open anway

Jon

weather

folks-

im keeping an eye on the weather. As of now the match is ON. A little rain is no biggie. If things change I'll post here asap.

Best,
J

495 north is gridlocked before exit 20. Take 19, left off the exit, first right and then go past bk, target , lowes, and take a right onto 85. That will take you all the way to 135 which is what lumber rd is off of

495 north is gridlocked before exit 20. Take 19, left off the exit, first right and then go past bk, target , lowes, and take a right onto 85. That will take you all the way to 135 which is what lumber rd is off of
It was still backed up when I was getting there, around 4:30. I passed a cop with someone pulled over and it cleared up after that [banghead]

Had a blast shooting steel tonight. Wish I had time to make it to more than just the first and last match of the year.

That video came out awesome! I'm gonna have to bring my GoPro sometime and see how it looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the rain didn't keep the hardy away from the range. We had a decent turnout for our last scheduled "Tuesday Night Steel" match for the 2012 season. Many thanks go out to our intrepid match director who made this match possible and all of the people who regularly came down and not only attended the match but also helped set up and tear down so we could go enjoy some yummy Chinese food. (Lugnut and Jay are REALLY disappointed they missed this one.) [grin]

Congratulations to all of the winners and thanks to our staff photographer Gene for getting such nice pictures of some of the "hot-shots" even as the sun was setting tonight. Jay will be along shortly with official results and while I remember SOME of the trophy winners, I'll simply post the pictures Gene sent over for fear of getting a name or placement wrong. [wink]
TuesSteel (1).JPG TuesSteel (2).JPG TuesSteel (3).JPG TuesSteel (4).JPG TuesSteel (5)A.jpg TuesSteel (6).JPG TuesSteel (7).JPG

It was fun shooting with everyone. Hey, I didn't take home a trophy - but I had a blast. I'm glad I had my camera in the trunk of the car.[smile]

Awesome! Looks like it was a fun season. I wish I could have shot with you guys but it is just a bit too far for me on a work night. Great job and congrats to the winners!

John - don't you have enough trophys already?? [wink]

Preliminary results:

Winner of Limited - John Sardina
Winner of Production - Harrison Schmidt
Winner of Open - Jay Hirshberg

Will post more on results after A7

Thank you all for making it a great season of steel !

Jay

Back
Top Bottom