• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

tti basepads on sti mags

It is very common for owners of STI and SVI mags (and this includes people in free states as well as places like MA) to use aftermarket basepads as there are several high quality options out there, some of which have features not available with factory baseplates. For example, the Dawson plates are removable without tools and they have one that squeezes in an extra round for USPSA competition by pushing right ot the 140 or 170mm limit. This is marketed as the SNL (Sometimes Not Legal) plate as the tolerance on the limit is so tight you need to check each one against the mag length gauge.

Last edited:
they haven't fallen off when you drop them on the ground?
I occasionally lose a pin, rarely with 40, but quite often with my 38SC open gun. The baseplate stays on. I still prefer these to Dawson baseplates.
I picked up a few spare pins at my local hardware store.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I occasionally lose a pin, rarely with 40, but quite often with my 38SC open gun. The baseplate stays on. I still prefer these to Dawson baseplates.
I picked up a few spare pins at my local hardware store.

may i ask why you prefer these to the Dawson's?

I like the TTI for capacity and the Dawson for grip. I find it easier to get max capacity out of all TTI stuff but it's a little easier to get a good hold and solid seat out of the Dawsons. The Dawson do have the tendency to jam up when crud gets in the channel the little stop pin lives in but they make rebuild kits for them.

may i ask why you prefer these to the Dawson's?

Some users say the dawson tool-less design still requires a tool like a table edge to press apart. They also have more places for dirt and dust to collect, and it will make disassembly very difficult.

Some users say the dawson tool-less design still requires a tool like a table edge to press apart. They also have more places for dirt and dust to collect, and it will make disassembly very difficult.
Yea, I ran the Dawson's for a season and hated having to use a table edge to take them apart. I also had one fly apart on me and almost didn't find the sliding door.

Yea, I ran the Dawson's for a season and hated having to use a table edge to take them apart. I also had one fly apart on me and almost didn't find the sliding door.

you really have to make checking the little pin channel (and cleaning it if it needs it) part of regular maintenance with the Dawsons. for those of us that aren't great with maintenance that can be an issue

Lol, I just had flashbacks of taking chunks of wood out of the tables at Harvard trying to open mine to clean them....................

Lol, I just had flashbacks of taking chunks of wood out of the tables at Harvard trying to open mine to clean them....................
And I just had a flashback of taking the sideplate off a 625 that broke an internal part at Harvard preventing the cylinder from opening [rolleyes]

I changed all my Grams pads to TTI several years ago - 40 and 38SC mags. They fit either SV and STI tubes of which I have both. Grams pads require some kind of tool to lever the retaining clip out, and they crack occasionally when dropped on concrete or rocky range floors. TTIs require no tools and I haven't been able to break one yet. I've dinged one up pretty good, but a hammer and an anvil of some sort fixed it up. I like the minimalist construction and feel. I don't like the Dawson for thatreason. I've lost a pin on a TTI but I found a drill bit of the same diameter and now I have plenty of spare pins. BTW - love their followers and springs!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW to the OP. You can take the the lateral and horizontal movement out of the mags by playing with the lower tube flange. It's not worth the time in my opinion. The only reason I would play with that, at all, is to meet the mag gauge spec. You don't need the EGW gauge if you just shoot local matches, but if you're going to any match that will chrono, the cost is worth the peace of mind.

thanks guys
i have tti pads on my Glock 43, and they are snug.
when i put these on the sti mags, i just thought there's no way they should fit that loose.
are all aftermarket basepads for sti mags loose like that?
what's the reason behind that? just for easier disassembly?

are all aftermarket basepads for sti mags loose like that?
what's the reason behind that? just for easier disassembly?

No, they're not all loose. Some of the other designs clamp the pads on tightly. Why are TTIs loose? Manufacturing tolerance variations of the magazine tubes.

Back
Top Bottom