Truly honest CLEO

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
OK, now I know that I'm one of the first to bust on LEOs treating themselves as above the law, but THIS guy deserves serious praise for his honesty!

Chief Parks In Handicap Spot; Tickets Himself
Mistake Costs Conyers Police Chief $280
June 8, 2010
ROCKDALE COUNTY, Ga. -- A Metro Atlanta police chief, who turned himself in for parking illegally, paid a nearly $300 fine.

Chief Gene Wilson admitted he parked in a handicapped spot at a Conyers Chik-Fil-A. Wilson told Channel 2’s Diana Davis he realized he parked illegally after getting breakfast at the restaurant on Highway 138.

“I come back outside, and there is the handicapped parking sign with my city police car sitting right in it, and I’m thinking I didn’t do this, but I did,” Wilson said.

The chief claimed he didn’t notice the markings or the posted sign. The chief told Davis the new light bar on his car blocked his view. He drove back to headquarters and had another officer write him the ticket. It carried a $280 fine. Wilson also apologized in a letter to the newspaper.

“I thought that was great. It shows that he took responsibility for his wrong action,” said Conyers resident Brian Griffith.

This was not the first time the chief turned himself in. He also received a ticket for running a red light while working in Sandy Springs.

“I hope I don’t get to the point where I have a major write me a ticket. I might have to arrest myself, I don’t know,” Wilson said.

The chief told Davis he wanted to send a message that his department takes parking in a disabled spot without a permit very seriously. According to Wilson, anybody caught doing it, including police, will get a ticket.

[cheers] That takes a special breed. He went above and beyond.

ETA: And I am not naive enough to believe that this is not a PR stunt, but I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

It is possible for some people to show this level of integrity. I am also not certain whether this is integrity or publicity on display, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with the information at hand.

Well, he probably realizes there are cameras everywhere. Someone would just LOVE to take a pic of a police cruiser in a handicap spot and send it to the local paper....

-Mike

Chik-Fil-A. Wilson told Channel 2’s Diana Davis he realized he parked illegally after getting breakfast at the restaurant

That right there should be grounds for a ticket. Breakfast at a Chik-Fil-A? [puke][puke][puke]

Back
Top Bottom