triggertech doing full auto

paul73

NES Member
my SECOND time now with an adjustable triggertech trigger set to min pull force doing a full auto trick. at min it was about #2 pull.
i think it is an 'adaptable' model, or some special one, as it is blue, do not recall what was the name. not the diamond, as those are all red, always.

and this time it was on a mellow .223 AR - first time i had this trick it was on a .308 build that was indeed kicking quite a bit, but my .223 70gr reloads there had almost no recoil, but, still, it happened.
after i adjusted it to #3.5 pull it seemingly stopped doing that, but, well, the fact itself that it had happened is annoying, means triggertech low pull design is still far from perfect.
it had NEVER happened with any of larue triggers that are around #4 total pull, but the break on them is lighter, close to #2, triggertechs are opposite, the initial pull is very light and final pull gets adjusted.

not a new lower and not a new trigger, there was probably around couple 1000s rounds that went through it by now, may be 4 years old or about. something wears off in there i think.

on a good side - my 20" larue has a great balance, 10 rounds full auto, no side movements, very stable, i even maintained scope picture as it did its vrrroom. good that i still remember old lessons of how to hold your weapon firmly enough no matter what. :)

Last edited:
i found old ticket and emailed them asking for a replacement, as, frankly, what the hell. it is not a cheap junk.
will see what will transpire.

Last edited:
Sounds like a shut yo mouf and thank Jesus moment to me
well, what to do, malfunctions happen, like it or not. nothing too dangerous, still, as it is designed to handle this, the gun.
yet, an annoying thing for sure for a $200+ product. i suspect now they may have design issues with internals aging out. so far it is a second one out of 5 i have, will see if it will continue or not with other ones.

i mostly intended this as a warning - especially for ar10 builds.

Last edited:
It will also happen if one of the trigger group pins walks out just a little.
nope, double checked that - all was perfect, and it was not a new build. and not dirty neither, nor any external debris.

no new triggertechs in ARs for me after that, as of old ones, will see. probably will eventually rotate them out with larues.

If it has happened with the same trigger on 2 different lowers, at the very least, I'd be saying goodbye to that trigger.
I'd probably also be saying goodbye to anything else that carried the name Triggertech.

If it has happened with the same trigger on 2 different lowers, at the very least, I'd be saying goodbye to that trigger.
I'd probably also be saying goodbye to anything else that carried the name Triggertech.
it is my favorite trigger brand, so, very sad if true. but it would be stupid to defy the obvious.

nope, double checked that - all was perfect, and it was not a new build. and not dirty neither, nor any external debris.

no new triggertechs in ARs for me after that, as of old ones, will see. probably will eventually rotate them out with larues.

I'm not sure why anyone would go off brand to begin with, theres enough good triggers in the market that came along and were well proven probably before they even
existed. Plus if someone is actually trying to save money (the only real motive to go away from the mainstays like geissele, timney etc) you can't really beat larue.

why anyone would go off brand to begin with
because there is nothing out there like a triggertech diamond. 'adaptable' is only 1lb more, but breaks in a very similar way. it is perfection.
until it is not.

i checked - that one that failed yesterday was installed back in 2019.

2019 is not old. Any estimate on how many rounds on it? How long has Triggertech been around?
Some trigger designs just don't age well. The Bushmaster NM trigger is a good example. When new, they were fairly decent. But as they wore in, they got borderline dangerous: you could pull up the first stage and release it, but it wouldn't reset, so you go to pull up that first stage again, and it would fire.
We had them on our state rifles for years, but when anther shooter and I took a good look at them, we decided they were not good to be handing out to new shooters. We replaced them with LaRue because they had a decent reputation, and the price was right. They're not the best feeling, but we couldn't afford Geissele's in 7 rifles.

I've never had a good opinion of trigger groups that come as a "module". I can't remember why. I don't believe I've ever shot a rifle with one installed.

Edit: I remember why I don't like them: they used to have to have a bar or something on the outside of the receiver to lock the trigger pins in place, and that was not allowed in CMP rules.

Last edited:
TT has a good warranty. Email them about it.

I know some of their early diamonds for Rem 700 has some reports of hang fires too but they took care of anyone who contacted them about issues.

"This trigger will be wickit-light. It's killah-accurate. But don't use it if the pins are not perfectly set. Or if it's dirty. Or if it's Tuesday. Or if you're significant other is on her menstrual cycle. Or if you ate beans yesterday." [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom