Trigger technique 101

JimConway

Instructor
This is a discussion thread that occurred on GlockTalk.com in 2000. It started as a simple question posed by Neo Alred but turned into a 20* page book covering every single aspect of Glock trigger control. Some of the details discussed are: trigger reset, flinching, anticipation & surprise, dry-firing technique, follow through, looking for holes, milking the grip and many more. I strongly suggest that you read the entire thing, you won't be sorry.

http://www.glockfaq.com/trigger.htm

I am sure that you will not know many of the sign in names, but let me assure you that they are some of the best in the firearms training industry, I have been lucky enough to have trained by a number of them.

As a note, I can not even guess at how many times that I have read this. My most recent time was just yesterday. Do yourself a favor and print a copy. If you pay attention, you will shoot better.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jim. I am having a tough time getting used to the trigger on my G19 after shooting 1911's all of my adult life. It's like swimming upstream some days.

Hopefully this will help.

I'm definatelly going to give this a try. My problem is the low-left shot placement but only with the GLOCK. I don't do it any other pistol including my new .45. I feel myself getting excited when the sights line up perfectly, and then I shoot and I htink that is my problem, I should be more patient. Thanks for the link

Fsorrent & TimJ
A Glock shooting left for a right handed shooter is a known problem.
I suggest that you take a hard look at the shooting error chart prepared by Louis Awerbuck and made into a PDF file by Neshooters.
http://www.neshooters.com/awerbuck.pdf
Look for the items on the left with Asterisks.
These are Glock specific problems

On every Glock that I have owned I put in the Glockmeister.com competition trigger package. It is about $65.00 to buy and about 3 minutes to install. If you can get to Westford, MA on a Sunday afternoon, I would be happy to install it (free)

Last edited:
I noticed after picking back up shooting I had a small flinch - something I never had before!!

I'll try some of the techniques on that page WRT to flinches and I'm sure it will help.

Fsorrent & TimJ
On every Glock that I have owned I put in the Glockmeister.com competition trigger package. It is about $65.00 to buy and about 3 minutes to install. If you can get to Westford, MA on a Sunday afternoon, I would be happy to install it (free)

Hmmm. I'm not saying a trigger job isn't going to help but the fundamentals are the fundamentals. It's just that some "less forginving" triggers magnify the same problem as opposed to say a nice 1911 3.5lb trigger. As good shooters strive to get better, a trigger job is a way to get a little more of an advantage. I guess what I'm saying is that before someone gets a trigger job... they should make sure they can get a nice tight group from say at least 25 feet. All the Glocks that I've shot are more than capable of doing this with a stock trigger. This is just my humble opinion.

EDIT: I'll read the post... I'm sure it has some great points in it.

Last edited:
This is a discussion thread that occurred on GlockTalk.com in 2000. It started as a simple question posed by Neo Alred but turned into a 20* page book covering every single aspect of Glock trigger control. Some of the details discussed are: trigger reset, flinching, anticipation & surprise, dry-firing technique, follow through, looking for holes, milking the grip and many more. I strongly suggest that you read the entire thing, you won't be sorry.

http://www.glockfaq.com/trigger.htm

I am sure that you will not know many of the sign in names, but let me assure you that they are some of the best in the firearms training industry, I have been lucky enough to have trained by a number of them.

As a note, I can not even guess at how many times that I have read this. My most recent time was just yesterday. Do yourself a favor and print a copy. If you pay attention, you will shoot better.

I printed this out, Jim, and did some dry fire yesterday, and tried it for real today. By changing my focus from all the other advice I have been given to this technique resulted in a feeling of comfort and "going with the flow". I am going to continue this, and see the improvement I will have over time. Thanks for the information.

Packingungal
The material is tried and true and will always work. Remember that the focus of the thread is pure marksmanship. The most important aspect is the recommendation for a lot of dry firing (not with a .22, please). When you dry fire you can easily call where every shot would have hit. This ability to call your shots will transfer over to live fire and be a gigantic benefit as the need for speed increases

Packingungal
The material is tried and true and will always work. Remember that the focus of the thread is pure marksmanship. The most important aspect is the recommendation for a lot of dry firing (not with a .22, please). When you dry fire you can easily call where every shot would have hit. This ability to call your shots will transfer over to live fire and be a gigantic benefit as the need for speed increases

Taken seriously, Jim - thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom