Tried the S&W Model 640 at the range today

It was not the most accurate thing I have ever shot but certainly one of the most fun guns I have ever shot. I like the small size but also like how it still has a considerable amount of weight to it to control recoil. I only shot .38 so there isn't much recoil to begin with but just saying it was manageable. The only down side to this gun was the accuracy was less than great. With only a 2 1/8 inch barrel the guy at the range said that keeping the bullets in the black area of my 9 inch circle targets at 25ft. is considered good for the length of the barrel. It is a good thing then that I am looking into this gun for close range and not something to shoot all the way out to 25 yards. Once the guy told me about the accuracy issue I became more pleased with the gun itself and will try it again with 357 magnum before I finally decide to purchase next year in March as a self birthday gift. I posted a link for those who may not be familiar with this firearm.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...d=10001&productId=14790&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

Keep practicing. I've got a 642 airweight and it shoots great. Here's a pic of a 20' target:
54ekx4.jpg

I also have a 642 Airweight in .38 Special. It's a beautiful gun and more then sufficiently accurate for its purpose. I wouldn't take it hunting, but it's a good self-defense weapon.

The 640, or any S&W snubby is more then sufficiently accurate for it's intended job. Also with diligent practice it is capable of surprising accuracy. Having said that I usually do drills at about 12', more point shooting then sighted fire. I can usually put 5 shots in a group the size of my palm at 12' firing as fast as I can. I have taken a few snubby classes and under pressure that is how I have shot. Almost more pointing then aiming.

I agree with Goose. I carry a 640, and these little guns are remarkable. After a bit you should be able to put all 5 shots in a pie plate at 25 yards. The guns can ddo it easy. It's just you that has to learn to shoot a gun with so short a barrel. It magnifies mistakes, and with the double action, it takes a while to learn how to shoot that gun. It's always been considered an experts gun, though I'm no expert. It is a difficult gun for new shooters. Stick with it and you'll love it.

I'm looking to trade my S&W Model 60 for the fully enclosed hammer version of the 640. My Model 60 is great, but I would like to do pocket carry, so the fully enclosed 640 will be most appropriate for me.

I'm looking to trade my S&W Model 60 for the fully enclosed hammer version of the 640. My Model 60 is great, but I would like to do pocket carry, so the fully enclosed 640 will be most appropriate for me.

The 640 can get a little heavy in your pocket. I generally carry mine in a belt holster when I carry it.

Back
Top Bottom