Travelling to Western NY

M

MACGYVR

Is there a provision in New York that would allow me to bring my handgun from Massachusetts to a local club shoot/competition?

It may be possible but I think the match has to be "NRA approved" or some crap like that... meaning that any old pistol match probably won't cut the mustard.

-Mike

Is there a provision in New York that would allow me to bring my handgun from Massachusetts to a local club shoot/competition?

Do not bring handguns to NY without a non-resident pistol permit. Period. Not worth the risk. Their hard-on for handgun trafficking started well before Mayor Richie Rich and has been codified in harsh, presumptuous laws that assume everyone is a criminal regardless of intent. Intent which they have conveniently removed any requirement for them to prove, and made it automatic based on inane and innocuous behaviors that are now criminal.

Last time I checked (last year) NY does not issue non-res licences.

Has this changed ?

I assumed they did. I was a resident of NY who left and never went back so never had to deal with it. I have read their laws on transporting (scary) because I still have family and friends there and wanted to bring some down for my very own "competition". What they accept as a competition is a very high bar to pass. They mention licensed and unlicensed individuals but I never checked who could be and who couldn't be licensed (I have no desire to deal with that state govt in any manner). It wouldn't surprise me one bit that that they think they can be the gateway to the northeast and think that they can stop people from driving through with arms.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom