travel with guns

we are moving to Florida - so i figure its ok to pack the AR, 45 acp, rem700, and maybe few more into a locked container in the trunk of my car and just drive... right? wrong? i HAVE to drive thur NY (upper state - no way near NYC) - but if stopped ,,, yada yada am i a possible victim of NY LE purposely harassment (knowing I'm within my rights, but confiscate the arms and arrest me just for the hassle value?) - should i dis-assemble the guns and ship them UPS to my new house? any info - ideas here? [angry]

I don't know about NY, but here in FL you will have no problems at all if stopped by the police as long as you have proof or living here or some kind of documentation about your new house, etc. Then, you should have your new FL driver’s license as soon as possible with your new address. Here in FL you can own 10 houses but if your driver license it is not from this state you could have some problems, but nothing mayor though... You shouldn't have any problems traveling thru NY neither as long as you have your weapons in one locker and your ammo in other locker and all of them in the back of your car. It is important to know and I didn't know before. Be sure you have enough gas to go thru NY non stop, in NY a gas stop or a bathroom stop counts as a regular stop almost the same that if you do overnight in a hotel.

Ish.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong..and, for the record, IANAL...however, I think if you're transporting from MA to FL ...AND... your destination state of Florida is somewhere you are licensed to possess the guns you are carrying, then FOPA applies here and you should be okay driving through NY with them locked away.

You will be fine driving them down, but... if you are going to stop and stay at a hotel or make stops at tourist attractions, I would mail them insured. The last thing you want to do is spend a week filling out reports in the east-bubble-#@$% pd explain how someone broke into your car and stole an arsenal. Congrats on moving to a state with great gun laws!

Yes, that would be legal. Do a search on here for "FOPA" or Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986.

But still do your best to not get pulled over.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong..and, for the record, IANAL...however, I think if you're transporting from MA to FL ...AND... your destination state of Florida is somewhere you are licensed to possess the guns you are carrying, then FOPA applies here and you should be okay driving through NY with them locked away.

... am a NH resident and have NH CCW lic - i can byass mass - but cant avoid NY....

Depending on how many guns you have, when I traveled cross country I brought my guns into the hotel room when I stopped for the night.

As I said before. If you don't have a Florida CCW, the only way to be legal is having the weapons inside your house or inside your car. Florida id great State about firearms, but when shit happens, happens all the way. Change your DL as soon as you get here and/or have your new home papers with you.

Enjoy the trip,

Ish.

Lock your gun boxes, lock your trunk. Keep all ammo locked in a separate box in a locked glove box, or keep ammo out of car completely. Legal, as long as all guns that you are transporting are not illegal in any state that you pass through. Does the AR have more than a 10 round mag? If so, then please check all state and local laws for each community that you pass through. I believe that NY has a limit on mag capacity???

Don't give any reason to be pulled over. Pray a lot.

we are taking two cars - i figure id strip the wood and/or lower trigger assemblies and lock them in car #2s trunk (wife's) w/ammo,
then keep the barreled receivers and/or slides with me locked in a trunk in my wagon type car (no trunk) -and/or for good measure mail to my Fla address all clips/mags/bolts to be sure should anything get stolen/confiscated then no complete fire arm would be usable?? this over the top? or reasonable??

latest plan...

all long guns locked in cases in my car (no trunk) - bolts removed
all pistol ammo with me in my car (locked in boxes)

all long gun ammo in wife's car (in boxes in her trunk)

all mags in her car too

we make one planned stop overnight in Virginia, i take backpack of handguns(4) and bolts with me into room (if car stolen all they get are inoperable bolt-less wood and iron) - but this will not happen as ill park very close to room and sleep light...

we don't get stopped for anything!!!

is this legal? [thinking]

Trigger or cable lock them

Trigger locks and/or cable locks are MEANINGLESS wrt FOPA. I suggest anyone traveling read the FOPA law for themselves. Ignorance of the requirements could cost one dearly in legal fees, jail time, forever giving up the right to own any firearms, etc.

As I said before. If you don't have a Florida CCW, the only way to be legal is having the weapons inside your house or inside your car. .
That is absolutely NOT correct. Residents and non-residents alike are able to legally possess and use all kinds of firearms in Florida without a CCW license. The ONLY thing you cannot legally do without a Florida concealed handgun license is carry a handgun concealed. You can go to any shooting range, go hunt, compete, or shoot on your own property (if legal there) without any license whatsoever.

OK, I will correct you. FOPA does not say anything about having to be "licensed to possess" at your destination. Nor does it say the same thing about the place where your travel originates.

You have to be LAWFULLY able to possess the firearms at the place of origin and destination. In the overwhelming majority of states the mere fact that you are not a prohibited person is enough to be legal to possess. Florida has absolutely no licensing or registration to possess any firearms whatsoever. And so do the majority of states.

FOPA does not require that you separate the firearms from any ammunition. All it requires is that t guns be unloaded and either a locked case or the locked trunk. Don't even consider the trunk unless you plan on driving non-stop. With a locked case you can bring the guns into your room with you for the night ... just don't unlock the case. As noted above, trigger locks or cable locks are totally irrelevant for FOPA. They're not required if the guns are in the trunk or in a locked case, and they aren't a valid substitute for either.

Ken

thanks to all for all your help

Thanks again for all the info - I will conform and comply with all known rules, regulations, and state laws as i can see them.

i will NOT stop in any state with a NEW in its name (York, Jersey, England, etc), all guns unloaded and locked in gun cases, ammo locked in ammo cases, i have also removed all bolts/trigger assemblies that renders all arms useless if stolen (my extra step...).

this is mostly my Allies Milsurp collection and while not as large as id like, i cant leave any one behind (how do i leave a Springfield, Garand, Carbine, Mosin behind? i care for these weapons and each are taken in turn to the range frequently (and especially on June 6th, Nov 11th, and Dec 7th, and sadly now 9/11)) i will not leave any behind!

Back
Top Bottom