Trap/Skeet Shooting

pdm

NES Member
Having never shot a shotgun before, when my dad asked if I'd like to join him and some business associates for some trap and/or skeet shooting on Saturday, I naturally accepted. Anyone have some tips for me so I don't completely embarrass myself with poor shooting? How much to lead, best way to hold the shotgun, etc.

This may be of a little help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47cPDcmf8mk

Trap and Skeet shooters tend to be pretty helpful so your dad and his friends will guide you through a round. Then it's just a matter of practice. You'll miss some and hit some and you won't embarrass yourself unless you do something stupid in terms of gun safety.

It's a lot of fun. Enjoy![smile]

You wont be embarrassed at all. Most shooters are really nice and will work with you.

Only one warning: Be careful cuz you might get hooked it's alot of fun.

Having never shot a shotgun before, when my dad asked if I'd like to join him and some business associates for some trap and/or skeet shooting on Saturday, I naturally accepted. Anyone have some tips for me so I don't completely embarrass myself with poor shooting? How much to lead, best way to hold the shotgun, etc.

Break them all, very small pieces is best. [wink]

Learn on the Trap field, then progress to Skeet.

Leads in Trap are small, maximum of a foot on hard angles.

Skeet leads get much bigger! Station 4 for most shooters is a 3 - 5 foot lead. Leads are different at every station.

Don't forget the "Golden Rule" - FOLLOW THROUGH your shot, the gun is always moving, before, during, and after the shot.

HAVE FUN! [smile]

This may be of a little help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47cPDcmf8mk

Trap and Skeet shooters tend to be pretty helpful so your dad and his friends will guide you through a round. Then it's just a matter of practice. You'll miss some and hit some and you won't embarrass yourself unless you do something stupid in terms of gun safety.

It's a lot of fun. Enjoy![smile]

My dad was a competitive smallbore shooter way back in the day. I don't think he's ever shot a shotgun before. I was thinking of stopping by BNTC this morning but I don't have any clue as to what kind of shotgun I'd use or even like.

You wont be embarrassed at all. Most shooters are really nice and will work with you.

Only one warning: Be careful cuz you might get hooked it's alot of fun.

One of the reasons I've resisted trying out the shotgun sports until now. Gun Acquisition Syndrome is tough enough when you want another pistol or rifle. Never mind lusting over some sweet O/U 12g. [wink]

Break them all, very small pieces is best. [wink]

Learn on the Trap field, then progress to Skeet.

Leads in Trap are small, maximum of a foot on hard angles.

Skeet leads get much bigger! Station 4 for most shooters is a 3 - 5 foot lead. Leads are different at every station.

Don't forget the "Golden Rule" - FOLLOW THROUGH your shot, the gun is always moving, before, during, and after the shot.

HAVE FUN! [smile]

Oh I will, of that I'm sure. [smile] Hell, my anti mom announced that she was interested in going too. My dad was shocked and started looking around the house for her mind. [rofl2]

Thanks for the advice guys. I think this is going to be kind of ad hoc with a portable thrower since the range doesn't have a dedicated trap field.

Man, if I get addicted, I am so screwed.

Last edited:
I say go to the trap field first good place to start then try skeet just my opinion. Then take a trip to a sporting clays course some weekend that is the ultimate shotgun game. I started with trap and still shoot it once and a while but sporting clays is where its at. Be safe have fun prepare to be shotgun shopping next week.

I have been shooting skeet and trap quite a while...
I never cease to embarass myself on the field.

Go, have fun, enjoy. Go with the sole intention of being safe and enjoying it. If you break a few all the better.

You can eventually parlay that into making embarassing yourself on the skeet field into art form and devise new and exciting ways to do it in. This is what I have been attempting to do for quite a while..

I say go to the trap field first good place to start then try skeet just my opinion. Then take a trip to a sporting clays course some weekend that is the ultimate shotgun game.

Having done exactly the opposite: sporting clays first, then skeet, then trap, I agree that what you're suggesting would probably be easier. It's all fun though, and as other folks have said, other shooters generally like to help. Last fall I shot skeet at Riverside a bunch of times. They were all incredibly helpful there, even letting me borrow their guns since I didn't have a shotgun at the time. One of the regular guys there was a serious wise-ass, though. "It's that little disc you're supposed to be shooting at, you know that, right?" It was all in good fun, though. [grin]

pdm said:
I was thinking of stopping by BNTP this morning but I don't have any clue as to what kind of shotgun I'd use or even like.

I'd resist spending any kind of serious coin on a sporting shotgun until you've done a bit of shooting. There's too much variation to get even close to what works well for you blindly. And, of course, the gun you will want to use for trap will often be different than the one you use for skeet, etc.

Last edited:
Are you using borrowed shotguns for this or does the club have loaners that you can use? Great advice so far above. The only other thing I would add is that if you have a choice, go with a full choke. I'm sure others will disagree, but this gives you a tighter pattern that will take a little longer to spread as it heads towards the clays. Some of the trap fields I've been to have had the thrower farther out from the stand area then others. I found the full choke helped me a lot in those situations.

Don't worry though. Go out and have fun. Shooting is shooting. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick. [wink]

Are you using borrowed shotguns for this or does the club have loaners that you can use? Great advice so far above. The only other thing I would add is that if you have a choice, go with a full choke. I'm sure others will disagree, but this gives you a tighter pattern that will take a little longer to spread as it heads towards the clays. Some of the trap fields I've been to have had the thrower farther out from the stand area then others. I found the full choke helped me a lot in those situations.

Don't worry though. Go out and have fun. Shooting is shooting. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick. [wink]

while I agree with the technical aspect of your post, I usually start newcomers the opposite way. I start with a modified, if you are on target, you will usually "break" the clay, once you can stay on target I move up to an improved modified which usually moves you from "breaking" the clays, to "crushing" the clays. Hitting the targets too far out introduces other problems that are best avoided from the start.

If you are able, start on the trap field with the machine throwing straight away. (no side to side movement) The birds will be in the same place every time, learn to hit them within 30 yards of the line, once you begin hitting well then it's time move on to random thrown targets.

just another guy's .02, and yes you do get what you pay for [smile]

I love introducing NEWBS to clay target shooting, anyone interested in traveling to the South Shore, Sharon area is welcome to PM me for some bird breaking fun!

If you are able, start on the trap field with the machine throwing straight away. (no side to side movement) The birds will be in the same place every time, learn to hit them within 30 yards of the line, once you begin hitting well then it's time move on to random thrown targets.
+1

This is the technique I use to teach people. I have my machine throw straight away so the target just moves up and down. Within a few shots anyone can break these bad larrys. Then I have them take just one step aside until they are hitting. Then another step etc. When they think they are getting good either move the machine way to the side or fire off 2 birds and watch the fun.

Everyone I have done this with has not only had a great experience but has asked me to take them back.

I'd resist spending any kind of serious coin on a sporting shotgun until you've done a bit of shooting. There's too much variation to get even close to what works well for you blindly. And, of course, the gun you will want to use for trap will often be different than the one you use for skeet, etc.

Come on, you know how hard it is to resist GAS. [smile]

I don't think you should ever feel embarrassed due to poor shooting if you're doing something for the first time. Let the others teach you as you go along, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

What can be an embarrassment, however, is improper etiquette, and particularly unsafe gun handling. So pay a great deal of attention to how others handle their guns and always follow the basic rules of safe gun handling. Keep your action open when you're not actually shooting and learn where you should be standing when not shooting, etc. Don't be afraid to simply ask at the beginning about these things. I've started numerous newbs out on the skeet field and all I ever expect is for them to exercise common sense and not be a hazard to themselves and others - if they actually hit a few birds the first time that's just gravy

I hit the first six clays in a row with a very nice SxS 12g and then did some serious damage with a 20g pump. It was a whole lotta fun. [smile]

If I was to look into a basic (used) shotgun for trap and skeet, what would the trap and skeet hounds here recommend? Not looking to buy a $4000 O/U or anything here.

If I was to look into a basic (used) shotgun for trap and skeet, what would the trap and skeet hounds here recommend?

This is kind of a personal issue. Here's my personal take on it:

Anything that fits.

No, really. If it shoots where you naturally point it, that's the most important thing. If you're like me you'll find something off-the-shelf that feels OK, if you want to spend a bit more you can get something with an adjustable stock and/or have it professionally fitted to you. Also try out club guns and see what you like.

Technical considerations: a semi-auto will have less kick, and a semi-auto or double-barrel will give you a bit more speed shooting doubles. A special-purpose trap gun/barrel will shoot higher than the sights show to account for the rise of the target, but that may or may not work for you.

I have some recollection of a shop in southern New Hampshire that does shotgun fitting as a specialty, but I can't remember who, and google isn't helping me right now.

If it helps, I shot an 870 in 20g and a 12g double barrel. I shot about as well with both of them, so the style didn't make a huge difference for me. After a couple of rounds though, that side-by-side was a bitch to crack open from the heat of the barrels.

You know you want an O/U, right? So head on up to KTP and check out their used inventory - you should be able to find a very nice Citori or Ruger Red Label for less than a grand, maybe well less. Or, you might get lucky and find a Miroku-made Charles Daly for closer to $500. Best bargain out there in a quality shotgun, IMHO.

If I was to look into a basic (used) shotgun for trap and skeet, what would the trap and skeet hounds here recommend? Not looking to buy a $4000 O/U or anything here.

low end- Remington 1100, you can find these used all day long for 500, and get yourself a longer barrel for trap for like 100-150 more, with mod or full choke

Better end over unders: Browning Citoris, under $1000, and Beretta 682, or 686, also can be found under 1000 if you look hard enough, but will typically find them slightly more.

don't waste your money on anything else if you really want to shoot trap and skeet.
If you just want Trap, look at used Browning Bt99s

Skeet/ Trap

Hi Guys, Gals

A little off subject......
What do the clubs in the area charge per round of either.
My club charges $3 for member, and $6 for non regardless of what is being shot...skeet or trap.
I have a strong feeling our club is cheaper than most in the area, and am looking to verify.

Edit : This is just for the birds.......not including shells if needed.

Thx

Bkbythesea

Wallum Lake in RI for skeet charges $3 for a member and $4 for a non-member. Trap I believe is about the same but not exactly the same. I think it is $1 more but not positive.

Hopkinton Sportsmen's club offers trap, skeet, sporting clays, and 5-stand sporting to the public on Sunday mornings from 0900-1300. They shoot skeet under the lights on Tuesday evenings starting at 6 pm. Skeet/trap is $3 for members and $4 for non-members.
Sporting clays is a little more but not much.

Mass. Rifle Trap & Sporting clays

Mass. Rifle Assoc. in Woburn, MA has Trap on Wed. nights(6pm-8:30pm). $8 per round (member & non member rate), which includes the clays and shells.
Sundays they have Sporting clays (start time 10am), $20 per round (member & non member rate), which includes clays and shells.
Great group of people, can be a member or a non member to participate. [grin]

Fall River Rod & Gun in Westport, MA charges $3 a round trap/Skeet for members and $4 non-members. Sporting Clays is $7 members (50 targets) and $9 non-members (juniors pay $5 16 years and younger).

Westford Sportsmen's Club charges both members and non-members $2.50 per round (25 birds) for trap; juniors pay $1.50 per round. Sporting Clays is $15 for one round (50 birds) and $25 for two.

Ken

Woburn Sportsmen's Association charges $2.50/round for members and $3.50/round for guests for trap. (I'd assume more for doubles, but I'm not sure.)

Sharon Fish & Game shoots Trap and Skeet Wed's starting at 5:00 pm and Sundays at 10:00 am

Guests welcome, cost is $3.00 per round Trap or Skeet, and club ammo is $5.00 per box.

Our Trap field is lit, and with any luck the skeet field will be lit by the fall.

Back
Top Bottom