Trap shooters...to Steel or not to Steel?

That is the question...

Can I shoot steel shot through my fixed Full choked 870 tc trap gun?

I've been invited to shoot at a range that is steel only, and would be bummed if I can't use my gun, but WAY MORE bummed if I damaged it.

Thanks.
–A.

*Sorry if I posted in wrong place, but figured I'd find knowledgeable shotgun guys in this section.

Steel ammo tech has advanced greatly - the chance of damage is minimal, IMO. We have shooters that use if not full, then Improved Modified with steel.

It may not pattern optimally (but you get this factor with any ammo change), but you should be GTG. The rule of thumb is that you use one step more open choke when you use steel. I've shot it from my pre-war A5, with very tight full choke (no problems, but not the "right" choke)

The real "danger" is an older double, where the barrels are soft-soldered, and can separate because the barrel walls are much thinner than a pump gun.

IANAL, and I don't play a gunsmith on TV.

Thanks, MisterHappy! I'll give it a go.

One quick question, when I am shooting steel with my fixed full choke would shooting 8's or 9's instead of 7 1/2 be a smart idea or make no difference at all?

Last edited:
The ATA permits #7 steel for competition (lead 7 1/2 is the biggest ATA permits) - the larger pellet size helps the pellets to retain down-range energy, compensating for the lower density of steel, as compared to lead

Most steel target loads you find will be #7.

The above being said....shoot what ya got, that's what I say!

[wink]

Come on out to the GOAL Cup trap shoot on Sunday - there are a couple of threads on that around here.

Bummer they only let you shoot steel. Keep in mind that steel shot holds a tighter pattern (because it is harder than lead and does not deform as much as lead pellets do when they leave the gun). This will actually be a slight disadvantage when shooting clay because when you combine that with a full choke your pattern will be pretty tight......you'll still be out there having fun though so GO SMOKE SOME CLAYS! :)

FWIW I shoot trap with a 30 inch barrel fixed full choke mossberg 500 pump gun and have a blast......only because it is the only shotty I own right now! But I still hit in the 20's with it! Can't wait to get enough $ ahead of me for a over under field gun with adjustable choke to see what I can do!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom