• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transporting Unloaded Long Guns in NH

I've read that NH prohibits loaded long guns in vehicles. Does this make it legal to have a rifle, or shotgun in your vehicle with a loaded mag, but nothing in the chamber? Or does the ammo have to be separate from the rifle or shotgun? I can't seem to find an answer to these questions.

Please chime in if you can clarify. Thanks in advance.

Under RSA 207:7...
II. No person shall have or carry, in or on a motor vehicle, OHRV, snowmobile, or aircraft, whether moving or stationary, a cocked crossbow, a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun, or a rifle or shotgun with a cartridge in a magazine or clip attached to the gun.

I've read that NH prohibits loaded long guns in vehicles. Does this make it legal to have a rifle, or shotgun in your vehicle with a loaded mag, but nothing in the chamber? Or does the ammo have to be separate from the rifle or shotgun? I can't seem to find an answer to these questions.

Please chime in if you can clarify. Thanks in advance.

As long as the loaded mag isn't in the rifle or shotgun and there isn't one in the chamber, you are good to go. Same goes for a pistol in the vehicle, if you do not have a P&R license.

As long as the loaded mag isn't in the rifle or shotgun and there isn't one in the chamber, you are good to go. Same goes for a pistol in the vehicle, if you do not have a P&R license.

i just wanted to confirm this.
this came out of NH vs Dor, where they clarified the definition of loaded.
here's a summary article by attorney nappen, if you don't feel like reading the court record.

Under RSA 207:7...
II. No person shall have or carry, in or on a motor vehicle, OHRV, snowmobile, or aircraft, whether moving or stationary, a cocked crossbow, a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun, or a rifle or shotgun with a cartridge in a magazine or clip attached to the gun.

Remember, NH doesn't use the federal definition.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XII/159/159-1.htm

159:1 Definition. – Pistol or revolver, as used herein, means any firearm with barrel less than 16 inches in length.

RSA 207 doesn't provide a different definition. Sounds to me like a loaded SBR (with a pistol license!) is perfectly legal in a vehicle, aircraft, or OHRV.

Racenet said:
I've read that NH prohibits loaded long guns in vehicles. Does this make it legal to have a rifle, or shotgun in your vehicle with a loaded mag, but nothing in the chamber? Or does the ammo have to be separate from the rifle or shotgun? I can't seem to find an answer to these questions..
/Thread No more needs to be said on the original question.

Remember, NH doesn't use the federal definition. http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XII/159/159-1.htm
159:1 Definition. – Pistol or revolver, as used herein, means any firearm with barrel less than 16 inches in length.
RSA 207 doesn't provide a different definition. Sounds to me like a loaded SBR (with a pistol license!) is perfectly legal in a vehicle, aircraft, or OHRV.
While this does make sense, I'm not sure I want to be the test case.

I just put my unloaded SBR on the seat; don't even belt it in -- this is New Hampshire.

Last edited:
I'm all confused. Can I bring an unloaded rifle
or a handgun to a range in New Hampshire?

Absolutely legal in NH, BUT sicne you are from CT and would have to drive thru MA, be aware that you MUST abide strictly by FOPA while in MA or you could be arrested and if so you would be prosecuted and convicted of a felony. FOPA is the only thing that will protect you while you transverse MA without stopping for anything except gas, bathroom break or a quick meal by yourself.

NH will allow you to drive with an unloaded handgun or long gun lying on the seat, that could get you up to 10 years in prison in MA.

One other thing..if you happen to be going hunting and you are standing near your car and you are approached by an LEO or F&G officer and you are asked to produce your hunting license, DO NOT lean your loaded firearm against the car while you search for your license. These officers seem to enjoy tripping you up on this...it almost happened to me. At the time I was in my 20's and not real "up" on laws like I am now. I had just exited the woods with a still loaded muzzle loader when a F&G officer who was in the area approached me and asked me for my hunting license. I leaned the gun against a nearby tree only because I was thinking that if I leaned it against the car, the gun might slide down off from it, hit the ground and go off. I knew about the loaded long guns in a car but I didn't know about the "on a car" part of the law. I think the officer was disappointed he didn't get to write me up. I was lucky.

Last edited:
I knew about the loaded long guns in a car but I didn't know about the "on a car" part of the law. I think the officer was disappointed he didn't get to write me up. I was lucky.
Two can play at this game... Now where can I get a 15" barrel muzzle loading rifle...

Back
Top Bottom