transporting pistol on vacation

I was at airport today down Fl., and was talking to TSA agent. He said I can transport pistol in locked box in checked suitcase and ammo in original box, just have to inform ticket agent when checking in. My question is lets say I go from Ct to FL, both of which I have ccw. Plane has to be rerouted or make emergency landing in a state I cant carry. What takes place if there is a delay or a layover and we have to stay overnite?

Last edited:
Leave it in the locked box. You're still in transit and covered by FOPA. The only place that's hassled anybody over this sort of thing in the past 5-6 years has been the NY/NJ Port Authority Police, and they've been sued by an individual in federal court and also told to cut the crap by the Department of Justice. I actually had that exact situation a couple of months ago and ended up making an unplanned overnight stay in Philadelphia.

Ken

And remember that most states don't require a license for mere possession/ownership of firearms, so more than likely you could take it out of the box unless you landed in NJ or NY (none of the other states between CT and FL require a license to possess)

BTW, you don't have to have a CCW license of the equivalent in either state. You only need to be able to possess (not carry) the firearm at each end of the trip. If that requires a license (e.g., Massachusetts) then you need it; if it doesn't (e.g., New Hampshire) then you don't.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom