Transition Lenses shooting glasses

I'm looking to buy a pair of prescription shooting glasses. They offer transition lenses and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these? I have to order them online which I can't see them before I buy.

Are they dark enough to shoot in the sun? And do they really go back to clear when in doors? If I can get two pairs in one that would be great as shelling out $300 bucks for a pair of glasses to wear at the range isn't the most fun or ideal way to spend my money.

There is one problem with these lenses; their light sensitivity. I was shooting a Bianchi match on a sunny day with some heavy cloud cover. The result was alternating sun and shade. This caused my glasses to react which interfered with my sight picture. This was a rare occurance but it did affect my shooting.

I wear transition lenses on a regular basis and also shoot with them, but for shooting glasses I use either clear or conventional sunglasses.

I have Transition lenses for shooting outdoors and have to admit for me at least in very bright sunlight they are bare minimum for me,but I've had half a dozen eye surgeries that have left me "hyperphotophobic" $9 dollar word for highly light sensitive. I can tell you they aren't very good for driving as they require UV light to change and car windshields filter out UV.

Thanks for the replies. I never thought about the driving thing but then again I'm not going to be wearing them in my car. However I do worry about the clouds. on a day when there are lot of clouds and it constantly going from cloudy to sunny I'm guess they would keep changing? Maybe will go with regular ones for now.

Also thinking of Wiley X Guards. I believe they are changeable and don't have the inserts. That way I can buy one frame and two sets of lenses.

I have Transition lenses for shooting outdoors and have to admit for me at least in very bright sunlight they are bare minimum for me,but I've had half a dozen eye surgeries that have left me "hyperphotophobic" $9 dollar word for highly light sensitive. I can tell you they aren't very good for driving as they require UV light to change and car windshields filter out UV.

They make a version called drive wear(I think that was the name), which will darken in the car, they don't go full clear though always have a tint to them. The are dark Brown in bright light and change to more yellow in fog/ clouds, and were polarized

Unfortunately colored lenses other than green or gray don't afford me much protection,have tried brown once and made the mistake of trying a pair of yellow lenses on a trial basis,thought someone was trying to gouge my eyes out with a spoon.

I have some, and they work very well. Not as dark as I like it for really sunny days, but certainly beats having a few pairs of expensive prescription glasses around.

Back
Top Bottom