Transfer/Sale Question for Ma. Long Gun

grizquad

NES Member
I am selling an O/U shotgun. Question to the group experts: Buyer is Wa. state resident but on military assignment here in Ma. Since he doesn't have Ma. LTC what do I have to do to be legal?? Any help appreciated.

I am selling an O/U shotgun. Question to the group experts: Buyer is Wa. state resident but on military assignment here in Ma. Since he doesn't have Ma. LTC what do I have to do to be legal?? Any help appreciated.

He can't take possession of it in MA without an FID or LTC. You could ship it to an FFL in WA for him to pick up there.

for him to actually obtain it instate. he would need an fid card.

So why did you suggest shipping it to NH? If the buyer gets a Mass license, they can just do a FTF transaction in Mass.

To the OP- Per ATF regulations, "where" military personnel are stationed, can be their residence, so your buyer just needs to get licensed and then you can sell directly to him in a FTF transaction. For the low capacity shotgun, all he needs is an FID card. He just needs to contact his local police department to get the application.

Yes, same process, same $$ just an inferior result!

But a MA RESIDENT LTC/FID is the only legal way he can possess it in MA, period!
Depending on his background and/or other factors, it could be his only choice. Inferior result is far and away better than no result. Plus, he does not have to worry about doctors' letters, membership in gun clubs, onerous restrictions on use/carry, multiple reference letters (some chiefs require business letterhead) or any other of the common aggravations associated with obtaining/renewing LTCs if he applies for the "shall issue" FID.

Depending on his background and/or other factors, it could be his only choice. Inferior result is far and away better than no result. Plus, he does not have to worry about doctors' letters, membership in gun clubs, onerous restrictions on use/carry, multiple reference letters (some chiefs require business letterhead) or any other of the common aggravations associated with obtaining/renewing LTCs if he applies for the "shall issue" FID.

If one has a record, after careful analysis of actual history (get Docket Sheets from each court appearance, skip the CORI) and the "history" of the town on issuance, including perhaps hiring an attorney for assistance . . . one may make a decision to go for an FID. HOWEVER, absent any criminal history that might get someone denied as "unsuitable", going for an FID is dumb!

Doctor's letters are a small nuisance but some doctors have "form letters" already made up for the purpose (I found this out when I asked for a friend), so the co-pay for an office visit and you are done.

Membership in gun clubs - Boston was the big one on this and did away with that a handful of years ago. There are now very few that demand this (although I think everyone should have a place to shoot/practice and private clubs are cheaper than public pay ranges and a helluva a lot safer!!).

Even an "onerous restriction on use/carry" beats the hell out of "legally can't own any handgun anywhere" or the problems with determining exactly what is a "low capacity long rifle" (when companies like Ruger start selling 10/22s with 25 mags out the factory door)!

Multiple reference letters - a nuisance but should never be a show stopper. Everyone knows someone!! Back in the 1970s we HAD TO get an employers signature on the application form. That was fun (NOT!) for me in a very strict engineering firm in Boston. Luckily the chief waived that requirement for my Wife, who was a school teacher back then!

And I KNOW of abuses by chiefs wrt the "shall issue" (and can't revoke on a whim) FIDs in MA as well. Since in general there is no downside for a chief violating the laws, they frequently do so with impunity.

He can't take possession of it in MA without an FID or LTC. You could ship it to an FFL in WA for him to pick up there.

Yes. This.

- - - Updated - - -

ship it to new hampshire and have him buy it there since in the rest of free america you can buy long guns out of state

This too. But he would be breaking the law if he brought it into MA without at least a FID.

He is a resident of MA, so he should have no trouble getting a LTC or FID if he wants one.

If he doesn't plan to stay in MA, and doesn't want to get a FID, then he should do option 1. Have it shipped to WA.

Back
Top Bottom