Training Notebook

OK,

First I'll start with an admission of guilt:

"I'm a geek. Always have been. Very likely always will be."

Part of this is that I like to record things, graph, plot data, etc. This in combination with my penchant for making the same mistakes time after time at the range has led me to assemble a notebook with templates to record my progress in my shooting sessions. (Click here to view a PDF) This in not a new concept, this is just a way to gather some usefull information in combination with the session records. Most of this was ripped shamelessly from http://www.targetshooting.ca

I haven't found anything (printed) like this out there. Please let me know if there is something I haven't found.

Also, I'd be interested in your suggestions on what to add/change to make the book more usefull. I plan on getting it printed by one of the on-line printing sites in 5"x8" wire bound format so it opens flat. Should print for ~$10.
I'll make the final pdf available when I'm done if anyone wants it.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
Very nice. I like training page with goals on them for short term practice goals. You should think about having a section for writing down longer term goals 3-6 months and then season goals.

B

Cool. I only take notes when I'm trying new loads. Otherwise I just track the qty and type of rounds I fire for all my guns as well as any relevant data- like FTF, etc.

Regards to shooting notes... I try to go with a goal in mind... I "usually" know what I've done wrong. When going fast I tend to yank the trigger, grip to hard, causing rounds to go low/left. If I recorded this I'd get depressed.

The most important thing about a shooting diary is that you want to keep tack of you, more than the equipment. Don't forget that once you get the basics sorted out (gear/ammo/gun and figure out how to shoot a ten) shooting is 90% mental.

You will progress faster by using your diary to help you identify areas that need some work. Say mental preparation for a match or anxiety level as a good string progresses into a great string.

B

Back
Top Bottom