Towns contacting P&R references? Did your town call? write? Do nothing?

Did your NH town contact references? How?

• Application requested a letter from references

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sent a request by postal mail

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Phone call

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Did not contact references

Votes: 12 66.7%

• Total voters
From the discussion in the Sunapee thread, it appears towns in New Hampshire have their own process for contacting references listed on the state application form. Is there interest in compiling a list of towns which have extra requirements?

Sunapee does disclose their extra requirement on their town website. Other town websites state that "phone numbers for references are recommended".

I'm wondering how common this actually is. Did your town contact references? Do any Chiefs deny/delay permits when they cannot contact some/all/one reference?

Lee and Barrington do not contact references. I have friends in Dover and Merrimack and both towns sent me one sheet of paper asking me the same questions: "Do you know if this person is a drug user?" "Do you know if they are a felon?" and "Do you know if they have ever been admitted to a mental facility?"

There may have been another question but it has been so long now that I do not remember.

Lee and Barrington do not contact references. I have friends in Dover and Merrimack and both towns sent me one sheet of paper asking me the same questions: "Do you know if this person is a drug user?" "Do you know if they are a felon?" and "Do you know if they have ever been admitted to a mental facility?"

There may have been another question but it has been so long now that I do not remember.
If the town wants to use a letter to contact the references that is fine but making someone had out the forms and turn them is wrong.

If the town wants to use a letter to contact the references that is fine but making someone had out the forms and turn them is wrong.
I agree and so does the law.

And well they kinda had to use a letter because no phone numbers were given lol. And I have no land line so your not gonna find me in the phonebook.

My town contacted one of my 3 references. Reference #1 was the wife (not contacted), #2 was a friend (not contacted and has an unlisted number), #3 was my next door neighbor, who was called (he's in the phone book). He did talk to the officer, then told me the next time he saw me.

I did not provide phone numbers, although my town did have a sign posted asking you to provide phone numbers for your references. They also stated that the application may be delayed if you didn't provide phone numbers, and that it may take 14 business days to get your license.

I don't know if those signs are still posted at the PD, haven't been in lately to check.

Last edited:
My town contacted one of my 3 references. Reference #1 was the wife (not contacted), #2 was a friend (not contacted and has an unlisted number), #3 was my next door neighbor, who was called (he's in the phone book). He did talk to the officer, then told me the next time he saw me.

I did not provide phone numbers, although my town did have a sign posted asking you to provide phone numbers for your references. They also stated that the application may be delayed if you didn't provide phone numbers, and that it may take 14 business days to get your license.

I don't know if those signs are still posted at the PD, haven't been in lately to check.

Same town, same situation. I think the PD left a message for one of my references, the other two weren't contacted.

When you think about, most people are not gonna give a reference that is going to talk bad about the applicant.

True. I still asked my references permission before I added them knowing that they wouldn't be contacted. I think I was put on as a reference for two or three other applicants, and I never got a call from their towns either (Hudson and Nashua).

Back
Top Bottom