Touch screen GPS users

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
I am looking to upgrade my GPS and I am trying to decide between the Garmin 600 and the Garmin 62s.

I have never had a touch screen GPS and I was wondering how you like the touch screen? My biggest concern would be having to take off my gloves to use the GPS and the battery life.

Thanks,

Bob

I have a Garmin 650t and have used it on quite a few hunting trips without any issues. I don't generally switch to different views or zoom in, but when I do, I take off a glove. I was able to set the power options sufficiently so that I can go 8 hours or so on the battery.

For use in the woods???
Not gonna work. First rain and it will crap out

The new ones are rated to be water proof for up to 30 minutes of being submerged so some rain should be I'd. I am more concerned with the water droplets being interpreted but the GPS as button selections.

I have a Garmin 650t and have used it on quite a few hunting trips without any issues. I don't generally switch to different views or zoom in, but when I do, I take off a glove. I was able to set the power options sufficiently so that I can go 8 hours or so on the battery.

I am looking hard at the Oregon 600 and I would really like your input on how you like it.

I had read that they were hard on batteries. 8 hours isn't much life on a set of batteries and it is half of what it is supposed to be. Are you using the lithium kin battery packs or disposable alkaline batteries.

I really like the higher screen resolution and the ability to also access the GLONAS (Soviet GPS) satellites. Have you ever lost the satellite reception?

How is the screen to read in bright sunlight? It is supposed to be much improved over the earlier versions.

How have you found the GPS in cold weather?

Thank you both for your input.

Bob

The new ones are rated to be water proof for up to 30 minutes of being submerged so some rain should be I'd. I am more concerned with the water droplets being interpreted but the GPS as button selections.

I am looking hard at the Oregon 600 and I would really like your input on how you like it.

I had read that they were hard on batteries. 8 hours isn't much life on a set of batteries and it is half of what it is supposed to be. Are you using the lithium kin battery packs or disposable alkaline batteries.

I really like the higher screen resolution and the ability to also access the GLONAS (Soviet GPS) satellites. Have you ever lost the satellite reception?

How is the screen to read in bright sunlight? It is supposed to be much improved over the earlier versions.

How have you found the GPS in cold weather?

Thank you both for your input.

Bob

So far I love it. The 8 hours was not a limitation of the battery, it was mine. Hunted all day and it was still going strong, but it was not the case with the default settings, it was after I set the desired power options. Took me a bit to get used to it. It has a lot of features that I won't used. Once I setup a profile for the things I do use and power savings, it works great. Haven't had any issues reading it in bright sunlight either. I can't compare to earlier versions, I was replacing a 76Csx. Haven't had any issues in cold weather yet.

=kg

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize they made these.

So far I love it. The 8 hours was not a limitation of the battery, it was mine. Hunted all day and it was still going strong, but it was not the case with the default settings, it was after I set the desired power options. Took me a bit to get used to it. It has a lot of features that I won't used. Once I setup a profile for the things I do use and power savings, it works great. Haven't had any issues reading it in bright sunlight either. I can't compare to earlier versions, I was replacing a 76Csx. Haven't had any issues in cold weather yet.

=kg

That's great news. Thanks for the replies.

Bob

The touch screen gloves are great when using your phone, but on my Outdoor Research gloves the material that is good for the screen is very tacky/grippy and may affect other activities like driving or handling a weapon.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize they made these.

That's great news. Thanks for the replies.

Bob

I do not have a GPS yet but when I get one there is no way I am getting a touch screen. All ready to much problems with my phone. I know they make gloves that can be used but I all ready have gloves, I want a GPS with buttons that I can feel. Just my 2 cents.

Here is a review of a specific model of GPS and the first thing he talks about is touchscreen and buttons. He is over on the beast and does some really good videos on scouting, cameras etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not have a GPS yet but when I get one there is no way I am getting a touch screen. All ready to much problems with my phone. I know they make gloves that can be used but I all ready have gloves, I want a GPS with buttons that I can feel. Just my 2 cents.

Here is a review of a specific model of GPS and the first thing he talks about is touchscreen and buttons. He is over on the beast and does some really good videos on scouting, cameras etc.

I totally agree. The Beast is an awesome forum. I have their hill country DVD and it is terrific. I don't post much there but I am an avid reader. It has made me reconsider some of my tactics.

That is a great review. I have watched most of his videos. He packs in lots of information.

I was leaning towards the 62s but I was wondering how the touch screen is on the Garmin 600 Oregon. The reviews have been kind of spotty on the 600. It seems like there are still some bugs to work out on the 600 and I hate taking my gloves off when it is 20 degrees.[hmmm]

I've been using my phone, Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport. It's got a setting to enhance touchscreen sensitivity, and has been working fine in the wet. I use http://backcountrynavigator.com/ which allows me to dowload aerial and topo maps, so a cell signal isn't needed.

I have been using a dedicated GPS for many years. I am on my second Garmin Etrex and they have been terrific.

This season I have been shadowing my Garmin by using the Trimble GPS app. I paid extra for their premium map service and it works well for the most part. The additional map features for state land and Forrest roads is 4-5 years behind so it isn't worth it to me.

I have had the signal drop out a few times and it is hard on the battery. I carry a small battery to recharge the phone if necessary anyway so it is not a big deal. The app gets the job done but I prefer a separate stand alone GPS and the extra functionality. It provides.

Bob

on one of the early garmins, it had rubber push buttons on it, and they started to get flaky after a couple years. all of a sudden i could not do certain functions...when deep in the woods and it getting dark. Ever since then, i have been a big believer in the KISS principle of emergency gear.

had a nice holographic sight on my ar15. Really tacticool. Took it to the range one day for plinking, and sure enough the battery was drained...switch did not fully turn it off. What if i really needed the damned thing some night? I would have been S.O.L. Ripped that thing off and put on tritium iron sights, and have not had a problem since. KISS.

Was watching one of those episodes of Naked and Afraid on TV. The contestants are allowed ONE piece of gear to bring. So this girl brought a fire starter. But it was not a simple one, i.e. a flint with a steel piece, this one looked more like a big plastic cigarette lighter. well sure enough, 2 days into their 10 day jungle adventure, the damn thing breaks. i could have told them so.

Last edited:
on one of the early garmins, it had rubber push buttons on it, and they started to get flaky after a couple years. all of a sudden i could not do certain functions...when deep in the woods and it getting dark. Ever since then, i have been a big believer in the KISS principle of emergency gear.

had a nice holographic sight on my ar15. Really tacticool. Took it to the range one day for plinking, and sure enough the battery was drained...switch did not fully turn it off. What if i really needed the damned thing some night? I would have been S.O.L. Ripped that thing off and put on tritium iron sights, and have not had a problem since. KISS.

Was watching one of those episodes of Naked and Afraid on TV. The contestants are allowed ONE piece of gear to bring. So this girl brought a fire starter. But it was not a simple one, i.e. a flint with a steel piece, this one looked more like a big plastic cigarette lighter. well sure enough, 2 days into their 10 day jungle adventure, the damn thing breaks. i could have told them so.

I totally agree. I always carry a paper map and a compass. For me the issue is getting from point A to point B the easiest way with the shortest number of steps. After many back operations I have trouble getting around; especially in the woods over uneven ground.

Bob

For what its worth, I was out from 1/2 hour before sunset until 1/2 hour after and my 650t still had 1/4 of it's battery life left. And as it tuns out, I just happen to have a pair of gloves that have the finger that allow you to use the touch screen and worked out great.

-kg

For what its worth, I was out from 1/2 hour before sunset until 1/2 hour after and my 650t still had 1/4 of it's battery life left. And as it tuns out, I just happen to have a pair of gloves that have the finger that allow you to use the touch screen and worked out great.

-kg

Thanks Kg. Do you use rechargeable batteries or alkaline batteries.

Bob

I've been using my phone, Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport. It's got a setting to enhance touchscreen sensitivity, and has been working fine in the wet. I use http://backcountrynavigator.com/ which allows me to dowload aerial and topo maps, so a cell signal isn't needed.
I use a galaxy s4 with backcountry navigator and it works great. In airplane mode I can use GPS all day with battery to spare.
I hunted in the pouring rain this year with it...put it in a Ziploc and slipped it into one of those arm band holders that runners use. I positioned it on my forearm.
I did need to take a finger out to use it, but my gloves have the fingers exposed with a mitten part that folds down over them, so sticking my finger out it quick and easy.

yea - DIYSportsman is really a boss when it comes to making videos. I subscribe to his channel you you tube.

I also use my phone with US Topo Maps (paid) app. I think it was 10 bucks. Works well. Also lets you download maps so no cell service is required and it won't chew data or battery.

But don't trust the compass in the phone though - it got me turned around once. I always carry a real compass.

I also use my phone with US Topo Maps (paid) app. I think it was 10 bucks. Works well. Also lets you download maps so no cell service is required and it won't chew data or battery.

But don't trust the compass in the phone though - it got me turned around once. I always carry a real compass.

I had the compass go wonky on my Android phone. Some phones have a menu item for GPS/compass calibration, but my Galaxy S5 does not. But by performing the "calibration" routine of waving the phone around in a figure eight, while a GPS app is active, all good with the compass.

I know I'm two and a half years late chiming in on this thread, but I recently purchased a Garmin Montana 610t for off road use on the ATV. I've owned several GPS units since the 90's, starting with a Garmin 48, which still works, but the screen has lost a few lines of pixels. I also still have a Street Pilot III in one of my cars, which works perfectly. I used the GPS 48 on the trails for years, but I wanted a unit with a larger screen and more importantly, a topographic map database.

The new Montana 610t is the first touch screen unit I've owned, and it has so many more features than the older units, but realistically I'll never use most of them. Do I really need a built-in camera or wireless data sharing capabilities ??? No. But that's the way they come now.

Anyway, I had it out on the trails in Northern NH last weekend for the first time and I was quite impressed with it's performance. It already had the trails in the factory loaded map database so I didn't need to buy any additional map software. Marking waypoints was much easier with the touchscreen unit and it allows far more text characters and icons than the older units. Acquiring the sats was nearly instantaneous when the unit was powered on, unlike the older units that sometimes took several minutes to lock up on the signals. This thing even worked indoors, which really surprised me.

It came with an Li battery, similar to a camera battery, but it can also be used with 4 AA's.
From a full charge, I ran it down to 50% after 5 hours of use with the screen backlight continuously on at max brightness, so I'm guessing it's good for 10 hours in this mode. (I also had some AA's in my bag just in case)

Overall, I really like this unit, the display is big, bright and easy to read. The reaction time to speed and direction changes is instantaneous, and its accuracy to the map database and elevations are impressive. My only gripes are with the cluttered menus, there are just too many useless features built in, so the learning curve is a little steeper navigating through the menus to separate the wheat from the chaff.

IHMO, a lesser expensive, decontented version of this unit, with the same screen size but without all the extra bells and whistles would be a HUGE seller. Are you listening Garmin ???

BTW, I paid $379 for this unit from GPS City in Las Vegas.
Cabelas sells them for $399, and I've seen them listed online for as high as $519, so I didn't overpay for it.

6a00d83451bb7069e201b7c7c3a83a970b-600wi.jpg

Back
Top Bottom