GPS

Broc

NES Member
didnt know if i should put this on the survival forum or here.

I always carry my compass, but a GPS together with a compass (as a back up) makes things a lot easier.

I just got the Garmin GPSMAP 62st (22 hours battery life), its a little more expensive than most GPS systems, but it works great. I went out to thick woods and didnt lose satellite reception, after walking through the woods for about an hour and a half i came back inside the house and it still didnt lose satellite reception for another 30min.

Also, just to try it out, i downloaded some geocaching maps and the GPS took me within 5 feet of the geocach.

It also comes pre-loaded with 100K topographical maps, with the option of getting birds eye and 3D. I looked up most wildlife management areas (in mass) and they are there (dont have time to look them all up).

It has a nice tide info function, sunset and sunrise, hunting days (dont know how that works very well yet, it just says if it will be an excellent, good, average or bad day for hunting).

When i was looking for a GPS i noticed that the higher the price, the nicer the reviews get, this one is not the most expensive one, but its not the cheapest. depends on which website you get it from it can be anywhere from $400-$511. I did a lot of research and it just seemed like the best one.

anyways, i just thought i would post this in case anyone was looking for a GPS.
remember, always bring your compass and a map anyways.

Nice. I have the Legend HCx. I've used it hiking/biking a few times this summer and it worked out well. Does not have the birdseye option (as far as i can tell) but I got my hands on the 24k Northeast map. Nice to be able to mark your car, your kill etc.

I have a Garmin Venture. Really, just an entry level hand held GPS, but it does everything I need from one.

Back
Top Bottom