Total SKS rookie needs cleaning tips...

Hello all,

I recently cleaned most of the cosmo off my new SKS this week. I could not, however, clean inside the barrel/bore because I didn't have anything to get in there with. So here is what I need to know as I plan to do some shopping tommorrow:

1. What equipment do you reccomend I buy to clean the barrel/bore?

2. What solvents/liquids do you think I should buy for the barrel/bore not only to clean but for general maintenance and to keep the rifle in good shape?

3. What oil or solution do you reccomend to keep the rifle well lubed?

4. Keep in mind I am very new to rifles and guns in general so this may seem like a stupid question. What parts of the rifle require some level of lubrication to function properly and decrease wear and tear?

Any help appreciated!

Scully

If you haven't already checked, there may be a cleaning kit in your buttstock - assuming it's all there, use the tools along with the cleaning rod (under the barrel) to clean the bore. It should suffice.
SKS%20butt%20stock%20clean%20kit.jpg

If your SKS didn't come with the rod and kit, the SKS kits are fairly plentiful and easy to find online for less than $10. Even if you don't plan on using one, it's cool to have anyhow. http://htownimports.com/SKS PARTS.html Check your local store for a .30 cal rifle cleaning kit - usually will come with a segmented rod, muzzle protector, patches and a brush.

As far as solvents, everyone has their own preference but for the cosmo I would start by removing the stock and gas assembly and going at the chamber and barrel with a bore brush and some mineral spirits to loosen up the caked-on crud. Be generous. Once the chamber and barrel are cleaned out, get some pipe cleaners and Q-tips and go to town on the gas valve (assuming you have a Yugo) and gas port. 99% of the failures to cycle / feed on the SKS are because of a gas system obstruction. Hit everything with some patches, wet it all down with CLP and set it aside for awhile.

While the CLP is doing its thing, go over the rest of the parts for any more cosmoline that's on there. You can't spend enough time on the bolt;
c784.jpg
just a little crud in there can stick the firing pin and result in a slam fire. Clean it over and over, blow it our with compressed air, make sur the pin rattles when you shake it and then clean it again for good measure. Many swear by the firing pin spring kits; but keeping the bolt clean should suffice.

Soaking the other parts in mineral spirits and then going over them with an old toothbrush and wiping them down should get them nice and clean.

As far as day-to-day cleaning the SKS is a tough rifle and regular cleaning products should work just fine - Hoppes #9, etc. Others will chime in but as far as lubrication if anything metal is moving against something else that's metal, it gets some oil as an absolute minimum.

Here is a decent site on SKS cleaning, with pictures: http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/cleaning/hs.asp

You need to get a 6 pack of Full Moon beer and bring it and the rifle to my house.
When you leave you'll be an SKS expert.[smile]
Either that or follow step by step everything I posted here before and what is on Surplusrifle.com's site.

FWIW the SKS really needs no lubes or oils to keep it shooting well except maybe a slight spray of Break Free on the trigger assembly and a drop of oil on the bolt hold open latch.

Any bore clean up can be done with a .30 cal rifle cleaning kit like the Kleen Bore ones commonly sold at Dick's and other sporting goods shops:
http://secure.armorholdings.com/kleen-bore/product378.html
I'd soak the bore with Break Free, push a few patches through, then make 10 or so passes with a brush, and follow with dry patches untill they are light grey. Thats all.

I'm assuming you cleaned the gas tube assembly, piston, and gas port. If not, those definitely need to be cleaned along with disassembly and cleaning of the gas valve or else your rifle may not cycle in semi auto or even worse build up excess pressure.

soak the bolt overnight in your choice of cleaning solvent. Remove it, shake the old solvent out of the bolt and soak it for a few more minutes in fresh solvent. Hang it up and let it dry. Shake it and listen to the firing pin rattle. If it doesn't rattle freely, soak it a while longer. The solvent will dissolve all the crud inside the bolt, with very little work, this way.

Ok, stocked up online and @ the Collector's Gallery (cool looking place, btw). Here's what I got:

1. SKS/AK Butt stock cleaning kit;

2. Hoppes .30 Caliber Cleaning Kit;

3. Hoppes 30/303/7.62 Boresnake w/Brass Weight;

4. Break Free Powder Blast Aerosol (16 oz);

5. Break Free CL Aerosol Lubricant w/Rust Inhibitor (12 oz);

6. 375 .30 Caliber Cotton Cleaning Patches;

7. Gun Slick .30 Caliber Bore Guard;

8. Hoppes No. 9 Powder Solvent (16 oz); and

9. Hoppes No. 9 Lubricating Oil

Question is, should I pick up anything else? Or should this cover it? I'm figuring I'll clean the bore with the rods and patches to get the cosmo out before the boresnaking it...is that a good idea?

Thanks so much for all the valuable tips and suggestions in this thread, it has helped me immensely...if you have any other tips or things I should, please post! I'm quite new to this so even suggestions that seem simple or are assumed to be common sense would probably be very helpful to me!

Ok, stocked up online and @ the Collector's Gallery (cool looking place, btw). Here's what I got:

1. SKS/AK Butt stock cleaning kit;

2. Hoppes .30 Caliber Cleaning Kit;

3. Hoppes 30/303/7.62 Boresnake w/Brass Weight;

4. Break Free Powder Blast Aerosol (16 oz);

5. Break Free CL Aerosol Lubricant w/Rust Inhibitor (12 oz);

6. 375 .30 Caliber Cotton Cleaning Patches;

7. Gun Slick .30 Caliber Bore Guard;

8. Hoppes No. 9 Powder Solvent (16 oz); and

9. Hoppes No. 9 Lubricating Oil

Question is, should I pick up anything else? Or should this cover it? I'm figuring I'll clean the bore with the rods and patches to get the cosmo out before the boresnaking it...is that a good idea?

Thanks so much for all the valuable tips and suggestions in this thread, it has helped me immensely...if you have any other tips or things I should, please post! I'm quite new to this so even suggestions that seem simple or are assumed to be common sense would probably be very helpful to me!

Yes, clean the bore with patches and brushes first. I use a bore snake after a rifle is traditionally cleaned or if I want a quick clean up after shooting.

This is the most work I have ever seen/heard you doing Scully!!!
At the rate your going that rifle is gonna fire like a wet dream!

Sounds like you're good to go Scully. Did you get a manual with the rifle? If not they can be downloaded from several places on the net. The neat thing about the SKS is that you can strip it down by just using the tip of a loaded round. [smile]

Sounds like you're good to go Scully. Did you get a manual with the rifle? If not they can be downloaded from several places on the net. The neat thing about the SKS is that you can strip it down by just using the tip of a loaded round. [smile]

Thanks for the tip! just downloaded a manual and printed it out!

Back
Top Bottom