• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Took some new people to the shop

A couple of friends have shown interest in my reloading so I invited them over for a session. First we cast a batch of 400g flat nose bullets. One of them really liked filling the mold so he did most of the casting. Then we progressed to the sizer/lubricator and lubed a few of the bullets. We then selected a few .45-70 cases, checked their length, lubed, sized/decapped them, flared the cases then weighed out the powder and seated and crimped the cartridges. I use a single stage press so I showed them how I do each stage and then had each of them do it themselves. They were very proud of what they accomplished.

I remember, not too long ago, that there was a mystery to reloading and I was a little afraid of doing something wrong. Now it is very intuitive and each step makes perfect sense. I wish I had had someone to walk me through the process. It would have made my first steps less tentative.

Sorry, no pictures. Perhaps I will wait to take pictures when I show young, beautiful girls how to reload.

They asked me how much the cartridges we built cost. I actually didn't know so I did the following calculations:

Powder: IMR 4798 at $26.65/lb equals $0.0038071/grain so 39.5g load costs $0.15
Primers: $34.95/K equals $0.04 each (rounded up)
Bullets: The lead was given to me so $0.00
Brass: This is harder to determine. Since I am reusing brass from factory cartridges, I have expensed their costs to the round I fired previously. Therefore the brass cost is $0.00.
The total then is $0.19 per round. This cost could be reduced if I wasn't loading to the maximum rated powder load but the lower power loads don't thump as much. [grin]
This also totally ignores the amortization of the $613.99 that I have invested in equipment.

They both said they had a great time and want to do it again. I had a good time too.

I remember when my grandfather taught me to reload. started off with 12ga. After he showed me how and explained why each step was done he asked "so do you want to go shoot some skeet?" Of course I said yes. The reply I received was "ok, well heres 200 hulls get workin" lol

Back
Top Bottom