Took my girlfriend shooting.......

...... for the first time ever. She was a little scared, but after that first shot there was this awesomely huge grin on her face.

And on mine too.

Shes always been curious about my small collection and since around January has helped me clean em. Since then Ive been teaching gun handling safety whenever she asks, but have never pushed firearms on her. I have offered several times to take her to the range. She would agree and then on the day of would come up with a reason why she could't that day.

I sat her down the other day and asked straight out "Are you scared of shooting? Every range trip you cancel." The answer was yes im scared its gonna be loud and blow up.

We had another discussion and left it as anytime you want to go the range let me know.

Today out of the blue she says Im sick of the rain and being inside, I want to do something fun. I fire back lets go shooting. She says ok.

I pack my 9 SW semi , the P22, the 357 and 38 chiefs special revolver and head to AFS.
We book a lane get set up with the P22, I demonstrate 10 rounds on target explaining the process of sight alingmnet, and the applicable safety rules. I drop the mag and hand her the gun.
I watch her load the new mag and help her with the grip. She kept wanting to cross the thumbs. I explained slide bite. The explanation alone fixed the thumbs issue.

The first shot and she was hooked, the smile said it all. I still asked and said so what do you think? The reply was awesome, I love it and when can I get my own? What kind of license do I need? When can I take the course?
The best statement of all she said "youre not reloading the mag fast enough."

She kinda liked the 357 but the grips r a little too big for her hands, the 38 kicked a little too much for her liking yet was in the black with it. The 9 was loud but she loved it too.

In total we went through 300 rounds of .22 200 rounds of 9 and 100 rounds of 38.

What a great day, we had a ton of fun and best of all she wants to join a club now too.

Before this I was getting a lot of static about joining a club cause of yearly dues and stuff. Now all thats changed.

The targets are now hanging on the fridge and Im filling out her GOAL app to send in.

She has been calling her friends and even posted on facebook page the amount of fun she had.

Way to go! Sounds like she's hooked and that she'll be telling her friends good things about guns and shooting.

Tell her sister to call me!

Good for you...and her!

In total we went through 300 rounds of .22 200 rounds of 9 and 100 rounds of 38.

Sheesh, I guess she did take to it. That's a lot of shooting for a first session. [grin]

Nice job. It's always good to hear about new people having a positive reaction to shooting.

Doh'
I knew I forgot something. Next time for sure I'll pack the camera in the range bag.

Sorry her sister got married last September, but she does have some cousins and nieces that are still single.

I'm hoping that once I get my license that my wife will feel the same after I eventually convince her to come to the range. Knowing her personality, if/when she tries it, she'll love it.

Back
Top Bottom