Today & tomorrow

richc

NES Member
I'll be driving home from Nova Scotia. We'll catch the Digby to St John, New Brunswick ferry at 4:30 Atlantic time. That will get us into St John about 7:30 Atlantic Time. Then we'll head down and cross the border at Calais, Maine, and take route 9 down to Bangor. We'll have dinner at Dysarts... an amazing truck stop restaurant, and then catch a few zzzzz's at the hotel next door.

Tomorrow morning after a hearty truck stop breakfast we'll head home. down 95.

So the questions is what gun stores should we stop at. I was checking out Google and saw a place called Maine Military supply. Is that worth a look-see?

My wife is interested in stopping in Freeport. Anything I should visit while there?

Or anything else worth a visit heading down 95?

Thanks,

Rich

Speaking of Nova Scotia... finally the weather has turned good, as we are leaving... here are a few pics from this morining:

IMG_5211.jpg

IMG_5212.jpg

IMG_5213.jpg

IMG_5210.jpg

Beautiful. That reminds me I need to go take a hike out on the Nat'l seashore this weekend.

Can't really think of any gunshops to visit on the way back for you. I need to get out of MA more often! [grin]

Freeport has turned into the Newberry St. of the north, a lot of over-price boutiques (at least there were a few years ago). You of course have to check out LL Bean, their store there is massive.

Other than Cabelas and KTP I am not familiar with any gun stores right off 95.

They don't advertise it much, lest their NYC yuppie clientele get pissed off and take all their business to Lands End, but the LL Bean Freeport store usually has a surprisingly good assortment of used guns. Like the Orvis gun list, they tend to cater to the upscale sporting shooter, but it's definitely worth a visit.

There is Van Raymond outfitters in Brewer...Then coming south on 95 get off at the Newport exit (the one with irving truck stop) turn to the left at the end of the ramp 1\2 mile up on the right I think they call it the Newport trading post. I haven't been in either one in sometime so no promises. Also if you got time to go across country to Bradford there is a place call Bill Morrison's gun shop he built several rifles for my Grandfather over the years, incredible gunsmith. Freeport hmmmm... theres LL Bean on the north end of Main st there used to be a small shop it was on the left if your heading south. Cabelas and KTP... Hope this helps

Sweet area. I was up to Cape Breton last spring for the QMJHL hockey playoffs. I plan on going back this summer for some hiking on the cabot trail.

Digby, huh? Need to pick up some Digby chicks!

I'll be driving home from Nova Scotia. We'll catch the Digby to St John, New Brunswick ferry at 4:30 Atlantic time. That will get us into St John about 7:30 Atlantic Time. Then we'll head down and cross the border at Calais, Maine, and take route 9 down to Bangor. We'll have dinner at Dysarts... an amazing truck stop restaurant, and then catch a few zzzzz's at the hotel next door.

Tomorrow morning after a hearty truck stop breakfast we'll head home. down 95.

So the questions is what gun stores should we stop at. I was checking out Google and saw a place called Maine Military supply. Is that worth a look-see?

My wife is interested in stopping in Freeport. Anything I should visit while there?

Or anything else worth a visit heading down 95?

Thanks,

Rich

The Polo outlet used to have a decent selection there. IIRC there's a ski outlet that isn't bad either. I like the claim chowder in the White Horse tavern next to Bean's.

Those pics are beautiful.
The more I see Maine the more I consider moving out there.

I would love to try this Claim chowder as Chowder is one of my favorite things from the east coast, that and the Lobster that a board member has promised to send me, If anyone else has some good connections in the sea food area please PM me the linkage.

The Polo outlet used to have a decent selection there. IIRC there's a ski outlet that isn't bad either. I like the claim chowder in the White Horse tavern next to Bean's.

If y'all haven't left yet, yeah Maine Military is definatly worth a look-see. It's located on Wilson street in Brewer, Next to Wally World. You'll want to spend some time looking around and Todd has some great prices and selection of EBR's and AK's.

Van's is pretty close too. It's on Main street, head upstairs to the gun "emporium". Good selection and most of the guys are knowledgable. A bit on the high side for prices, though.

The Trading post is actually located in Palmyra(but it's so close to Newport). Exit # 157, take a left, go over the bridge and you will see it on the right. Lots of "trade-ins", he's a pawn shop as well, so he gets a lot of that stuff.

Gas should be fairly cheep at the Irving(although not as cheap as in Massachusetts), and if you can wait to get to Fairfield(just north of Waterville) there's a gas station/truck stop with cheep gas as well(and has a Subway inside).

And as always, if you want a wide selection of firearms and accessories/hunting stuff, there is always Kittery Trading post(nuff said!)

Hope this helps.

I would love to try this Claim chowder as Chowder is one of my favorite things from the east coast, that and the Lobster that a board member has promised to send me, If anyone else has some good connections in the sea food area please PM me the linkage.

[laugh][laugh]

Freeport is mainly a "starbucks coffee crowd" kinda place but my wife likes it (nothing wrong with starbucks coffee actually) but if you go bring the camera because you MUST get your picture taken next to the giant boot[smile]

Freeport is mainly a "starbucks coffee crowd" kinda place but my wife likes it (nothing wrong with starbucks coffee actually) but if you go bring the camera because you MUST get your picture taken next to the giant boot[smile]

If you're taking pictures, consider the Paul Bunyan statue on Main Street in Bangor, out in front of the Bangor Arena.

If you're taking pictures, consider the Paul Bunyan statue on Main Street in Bangor, out in front of the Bangor Arena.

I drove past that tonight... it is freaking HUGE! But it was dark, and we were tired and hungry so no pics this time.

Rich

Sam. I own a seafood market.
Let me know what you want, Ill set you up.
I can ship you live lobsters, but sometimes they dont survive the journey. They will be cold when they arrive and if they look a little "weak" just cook them right away. Clams, scallops, oysters etc. no problem.
I even have a store made chowder base that is frozen, just add milk or cream and heat .
We ship regularly to a variety of restaurants and spas in California.
http://nantucketseafoods.net/
Of course, Ill give you the special "friend of the owner" NES discount. [smile]

Thanks POM

You will be getting a call from me soon_ [smile][smile][smile][smile]

Sam. I own a seafood market.
Let me know what you want, Ill set you up.
I can ship you live lobsters, but sometimes they dont survive the journey. They will be cold when they arrive and if they look a little "weak" just cook them right away. Clams, scallops, oysters etc. no problem.
I even have a store made chowder base that is frozen, just add milk or cream and heat .
We ship regularly to a variety of restaurants and spas in California.
http://nantucketseafoods.net/
Of course, Ill give you the special "friend of the owner" NES discount. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom