• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To clean after every outing or not to clean after every outing? That is the question.

How often do you clean the barrel of your gun

• Clean after every range trip

Votes: 45 28.5%
  • Clean only occassionally and not after every range trip

Votes: 82 51.9%
  • Have a specific timeframe for cleaning after so many range trips

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • What is Cleaning?

Votes: 26 16.5%

• Total voters
Except for my .22lr pistols, which I clean rarely, I would clean a gun when selling it. I haven't sold any yet.
Reread the OP. I initially interpreted it was about field stripping and cleaning. For just the rifle barrel, I do run a bore snake through everything at least after every other outing.

It depends
Target shotguns, When I get to the range I open case, grease and assemble When finished shooting I run a bore snake, spray some lube, wipe it down and put it back in the case.
Target pistols (.22 bullseye) - spray with lube and wipe down before going back in the safe. Bore snake every couple of outings. Full clean and lube every couple of months.
Action pistols - spray and wipe, bore snake now and again. Full clean after several thousand rounds.
Carry gun - I make a point to shoot it once or twice a year and then a cleaning. (and before I get beaten up, I have an identical gun or 2 or 3 that i practice with in the category above)
Rifles - I don't shoot often and they may sit in the safe for a while so I like to clean after each outing.

I posted some pictures of what seems to be cooper fouling in one of my rifles earlier today and I was asked why I'm not cleaning them after every outing. Got me wondering what people do after a range day. Do you clean your rifle barrel after every outing or do only clean a rifle barrel occasionally.

Personally I only do it occasionally. I find that a fouled barrel is more accurate on the first several shots. After I clean a rifle thoroughly it seems to need a couple of shots before the accuracy settles in. This is a particular PITA with hunting rifles.

So that's my questions. Which camp do you follow in? Clean after every range trip or not?
I dont clean but I do wipe down everything I handle with a rust preventive
Bore gets a wet patch to get loose fouling out, few dry patches then a oil patch for rust prevention.
Cleaning— when groups open up
Each rifle is a bit different. My 22s can go thousands of rounds between cleanings
This could be one summer it years.
My cmp rifles get a good clean and check over each winter

Lol I still get a charge out of people who fastidiously clean everything all the time. [rofl] eventually if you buy enough guns this becomes absurd.

I have some stuff I take good care of. Then there is shit like 22s where basically I shoot them until they stop working. [rofl]

Defensive guns take priority over everything. Stuff that I just play with? whenever I get around to it. Sometimes that whenever is once a year, lol.

I have some guns like my bird gun (CZ 1012) that I literally have done nothing to other than sprayed some oil in and used a boresnake on. Yeah the action is disgusting inside but I dont care, because the gun still works, and it has no signs of slowing down. If it was a beretta gas gun id clean it more often.

I've come to realize over the years that I can shoot many 100's of rounds through my guns and they still keep functioning fine.

I've gone over a year between cleanings of my primary 1911 .45 and I shoot that a lot.

Of course there were large chunks of greasy black goo that came out of it that made me just a little embarrassed, but it was still running.

I dont clean but I do wipe down everything I handle with a rust preventive
Bore gets a wet patch to get loose fouling out, few dry patches then a oil patch for rust prevention.
Cleaning— when groups open up
Each rifle is a bit different. My 22s can go thousands of rounds between cleanings
This could be one summer it years.
My cmp rifles get a good clean and check over each winter
Right on. Clean the rifle when groups start opening up.

Handguns, I have no idea. I guess once a year. They get wiped down after a few trips, that's about it.

I was taught to clean every time.
The old man used to say something along the lines of a gun that is two rounds from failure is the one that will get you killed.

Muzzle loaders - before and after the season. (Swab between each shot)

all center fires. - when they need it. - Min once per year

.22 rim fire. - is it malfunctioning? If so clean it. If not…..
( if I’m heading to a competition the .22 may get cleaned)

I usually do, although 2 ex SF guys I know say it is more important to lube than clean. I still do both because I enjoy it, unless its a long range day with more than a few guns

I clean my 22’s the most. Pistols when they are getting my hands or clothes dirty. When I was working on my precision rifles. I was taught to only clean the bore once accuracy starts to drop off. Because you need to run fouling shots to get the accuracy back after cleaning you leave it as is unless there is a reason to clean the bore.

I haven't cleaned my AK since the Jeep shoot and I put another 2K or so rounds through it since then.

Still more reliable than an AR.

My Sharps, because I shoot BP, gets cleaned at the range before leaving.

Carry/homepro gun are always clean, that's why I have identical EDCs so I can go to the range a few times between cleanings while still having a clean one to carry. The rest I usually clean after a couple/few range trips although if I know I'm not going to shoot a gun again anytime soon I clean it.

Other than my AR-10 which gets cleaned every 500 to 1000 rds. most everything else when I feel like it.
If your ammo is good there is little need!

Didn't vote because I didn't find an accurate selection. I have among many, an AK and an AR, that hasn't been as much as wiped down in years and thousands of rounds, just out of curiosity. They look like shit, leave stains everywhere they go, but they work, and work well. Other guns are dedicated bench guns for accuracy and get a calculated and specific cleaning regimen for that specific rifle, others will get.cleaned according to use. If I know I'm gonna shoot a specific G19 or 1911 regularly all summer, it'll get a wipedown and a bore snake. Other firearms get a thorough cleaning if I even look at it and ill wear gloves to handle a few others, just depends. I will say though, that I think firearms get more wear and tear from overzealous cleaning than they do being shot.

ETA: when I duck hunted saltwater, I used a Mossberg 835. I would get home and orange would already be setting in. I'd scrub that turd with a green scouring pad, hold it up by the sling and hose it down in liquid wrench. Otherwise it'd start rusting in the safe a day or two later.

Last edited:
22’s are probably the only guns I clean after every range trip.

I remember when I was a new gun owner I would go crazy using bore foaming cleaners to remove all copper fouling etc. Then years later I realized it didn’t matter. Bore snake for the barrel now lol

22’s are probably the only guns I clean after every range trip.

I remember when I was a new gun owner I would go crazy using bore foaming cleaners to remove all copper fouling etc. Then years later I realized it didn’t matter. Bore snake for the barrel now lol
I was the same way. But my Ruger 22 gets cleaned every time.

commie berdan primed 7.62x54R? absolutely after every range trip. pour boiling water down that barrel and action, bolt then lube it up with motor oil and you good to go.

Lol I still get a charge out of people who fastidiously clean everything all the time. [rofl] eventually if you buy enough guns this becomes absurd.

I have some stuff I take good care of. Then there is shit like 22s where basically I shoot them until they stop working. [rofl]

Defensive guns take priority over everything. Stuff that I just play with? whenever I get around to it. Sometimes that whenever is once a year, lol.

I have some guns like my bird gun (CZ 1012) that I literally have done nothing to other than sprayed some oil in and used a boresnake on. Yeah the action is disgusting inside but I dont care, because the gun still works, and it has no signs of slowing down. If it was a beretta gas gun id clean it more often.
Yeah it's annoying to clean the bolt of a Marlin 60 but after a range trip which is usually a full 550 round brick, towards the last 100 or so rounds it gums up so much the next trip would be a jam-o-matic if you don't take apart the action and give it a good toothbrushing. Wished they made the action less annoying to clean and assemble.

I posted some pictures of what seems to be cooper fouling in one of my rifles earlier today and I was asked why I'm not cleaning them after every outing. Got me wondering what people do after a range day. Do you clean your rifle barrel after every outing or do only clean a rifle barrel occasionally.

Personally I only do it occasionally. I find that a fouled barrel is more accurate on the first several shots. After I clean a rifle thoroughly it seems to need a couple of shots before the accuracy settles in. This is a particular PITA with hunting rifles.

So that's my questions. Which camp do you follow in? Clean after every range trip or not?
Coming from someone who taught at a federal academy, no real reason to unless you are shooting corrosive ammo.

I've seen guns that only .mil guys can compare to, God only knows when they were last cleaned. Keep them lubed and they generally run.

I once was almost kicked off a IDPA shoot for having a 'dirty' gun. I looked the woman (she was running the show) in the eye and said, "This is a working gun, it almost was used yesterday, I bet my life it'll fire". They let me do the shoot, no misfeeds or malfunctions. The pistol, was in deed, a dirty girl.

It varies widely with application and frequency of usage. I own 28 firearms. All my smokeless centerfire guns get cleaned once a year over the winter. Rimfire gets cleaned much more frequently . my BP guns need to be cleaned after every range trip.

I clean after every range trip. i know it’s not needed, but it‘s an old habit from military days. There’s a passage in the code of honor that says “tu entretiens ton arme comme ton bien le plus precieux “, which translated means “you will maintain your weapon as your most precious possession.“
Cant teach new tricks to an old dog.

Coming from someone who taught at a federal academy, no real reason to unless you are shooting corrosive ammo.

I've seen guns that only .mil guys can compare to, God only knows when they were last cleaned. Keep them lubed and they generally run.

I once was almost kicked off a IDPA shoot for having a 'dirty' gun. I looked the woman (she was running the show) in the eye and said, "This is a working gun, it almost was used yesterday, I bet my life it'll fire". They let me do the shoot, no misfeeds or malfunctions. The pistol, was in deed, a dirty girl.

I've found in IDPA/USPSA that a really easy way to back off overzealous SO's is to ask to see the rule they're referencing. You can't show me the rule? Oh well. You don't just get to make shit up.

Back
Top Bottom