Threading SKS barrel

Anyone have any recommendations for having the barrel of my Model M threaded. Barrel measures right at .560 Is this enough to have it threaded to 1/2-28. If so how common are 1/2-28 30 cal muzzle devices.

It's been dropped in a Sgworks pup kit and doesn't have the front sight. I'm sure most of the true collector value is gone. How hard is it to thread with those kits.

It's been dropped in a Sgworks pup kit and doesn't have the front sight. I'm sure most of the true collector value is gone. How hard is it to thread with those kits.

they are as easy or hard as your skill level and how well the outer dia. of the barrel is concentric to the bore.... if thats the right term.

the quality of the tooling is from what I have used..... just good enough.

we used this kit....

Last edited by a moderator:
heres another video

I cant remember the exact kit CNC warrior or from carolina shooters..... could be the same kits for all i know.

we took it slow and used the spreading capabiity of the die. it took some careful passes and plenty of oil.
we did one sks , 2 ak and a mosin. the mosin gave us the most problems.
had to get a break with a somewhat large opening. I think the probem was the bore was not centered in the barrel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think twice about doing this to a model M. Even if you don't have the wood and the front sight, both can be found. You're likely ruining a $1k rifle. It'll go for $400-500 after threading that barrel because it'll be Bubba's Gun.

The fact that you're thinking about this is a testament to Massachusetts and it's oppression.

I would think twice about doing this to a model M. Even if you don't have the wood and the front sight, both can be found. You're likely ruining a $1k rifle. It'll go for $400-500 after threading that barrel because it'll be Bubba's Gun.

The fact that you're thinking about this is a testament to Massachusetts and it's oppression.

there just doesnt seem to be any need for a break on a SKS ? to each there own though

When it takes AK mags already, and you live in a state where AKs are now illegal to buy new, there comes the urge to modify your things to make it what it's not. It's natural- you already HAVE the SKS-M, but you desire the AKM. So you do what you think is right in order to itch that scratch.

In the end, 3 years out from now, there will be regret. Chinese SKS-Ms are rare and are only getting more rare. If the above assumption is true, what should be done is the following:

1. Acquire chinese SKS front sight. Is it just the post or is the whole damn thing missing? $10 or $30

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/603173142

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/603285560

2. Find the original stock you threw in the closet when you put it in a a modern chinese plastic shell. Or buy another stock. Look here for parts:

http://stores.polytechparts.com/original-polytech-1/?sort=featured&page=2

but a stock, if you actually were dumb enough to throw the original away, is going to be tough to hunt. They do pop up on market places of forums and on gunbroker, but I couldn't find one in 5 minutes. These rifles get converted and their stocks are sold for nothing quite often or they sit on boards unsold. If you find an old listing, hit it up. Odds are they still have it.

3. Sell the SKS-M for $1,000 +. If you have the original stock this is easily done. If it's a non-matching stock that's serialized differently (they typically weren't unless it was a .22lr model).

4. Buy shit WASR for $750-$1000. Saw one go on here for less post Maura. Lots of people don't like AKs in MA.

The guy I bought it from is going to get me the stock. Wasn't aware that the M were this valuable. Hell I paid well under the dollar amount your talking about for it. Guess I'll leave the muzzle alone and won't have it threaded.

From my readings the Model M was specifically designed to compete with the AK47 for the US market. Model Ds are worth a bit more then the Model M. Iv decided not to have the barrel threaded. Previous owner is going to send me the original stock and front sight. I plan to keep it in the Bullpup config as it is a blast to shoot. I just wish 30 Round preban mags would fit but it is what it is. On the lookout for Hungarian 20 round tanker mags.

From my readings the Model M was specifically designed to compete with the AK47 for the US market. Model Ds are worth a bit more then the Model M. Iv decided not to have the barrel threaded. Previous owner is going to send me the original stock and front sight. I plan to keep it in the Bullpup config as it is a blast to shoot. I just wish 30 Round preban mags would fit but it is what it is. On the lookout for Hungarian 20 round tanker mags.

Mine takes any magazine you want to put in it. Is your stock getting in the way?

Mine takes any magazine you want to put in it. Is your stock getting in the way?

Yes the grip gets in the way. The stock was designed to work with SKS and the duckbill mags. It does works fine with Tapco 30rd mags but as we know in the PRM those are a no no. The 30 pre ban mags I have will go in but are nearly impossible to remove.

Yes the grip gets in the way. The stock was designed to work with SKS and the duckbill mags. It does works fine with Tapco 30rd mags but as we know in the PRM those are a no no. The 30 pre ban mags I have will go in but are nearly impossible to remove.

take a dremel to that grip if it's big enough to remove stuff from it. All AKM mags (combloc/surplus) floor plates are the same basic geometry.

The tanker mags would definitely be your best bet.

Not correct. Paratrooper does not equal Model M.

Model Ms are different. They may not be a $1,000 gun, but they are certainly more than $400. Your point stands, though.

Gotcha. Got any bookmarked articles/pages on them? I googled around for a few and everything I saw implied it was just a Norinco para.

Ah okay, so the M is basically a commercial Norinco that readily accepts AK mags. Found this page -- http://chinesesks.weebly.com/m.html

So yeah, you're right, they seem to actually sell for $600-800 on GB, which is wild to me. SKSs just continue to rise in price.

You and me both. $800 for good ones. Evidently, there weren't many of them. But the price hike may also be a direct result of Healey, too. It's hard to tell but I think they were running for that much before this madness.

Either way, I am glad OP is going to get the original parts for her, and won't f it up because I am willing to guess it's value will just continue to climb. Getting that original stock and front sight will make him a happy man if he goes to off load it down the road.

take a dremel to that grip if it's big enough to remove stuff from it. All AKM mags (combloc/surplus) floor plates are the same basic geometry.

The tanker mags would definitely be your best bet.

I seemed to have been able to get my prebans to work. Need to do a little bit more work with the dremmel. It seems the issue it the fact that Someone decided to powder coat the mags and added around 0.01 of thickness all around and it was causing them to bind.

Either way, I am glad OP is going to get the original parts for her, and won't f it up because I am willing to guess it's value will just continue to climb. Getting that original stock and front sight will make him a happy man if he goes to off load it down the road.

The chances of me off loading are slim. Seems everyone in my family has an SKS in the SGworks kit. But none of theirs takes AK mags. Really fun to shoot. It's actually surprised me how not clumsy the mag changes are.

Last edited:
I'm going to bump this post with some new found information.

This is a new .30 cal. Muzzle Brake from Witt Machine.

The page says "These are threaded 5/8-24, 9/16-24, and M14-1 LH and bored for any caliber. For Custom threads / calibers send us an e-mail."

http://wittmachine.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76&products_id=206

mre-30-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom