• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on the Big E show 3/11

Part of getting Barb to go with me to the last Marlboro show was I'd buy her lunch. We went to the steakhouse in the plaza in front of the convention center.
I made her the same offer for the April show.[wink]

We never eat at the show, the food even looks bad. We get there around nine and walk around until the Outback opens on Rt 5 and hop on the pike and go home. The steak house at Marlborough will have to be tried next time we go to that show.

Big E:

- I forgot . . . since the Big E prohibits ammo inside the buildings, there is only one (loaded) ammo dealer at their shows. Big Steve gets to charge what he wants because he is guaranteed to have NO competition there.

You notice more selection and competition in Marlboro because they allow dealers to sell ammo, powder, primers, etc.

Food at Wilmington should be decent since the Shriners make the food and profit is not the motive. Not sure if the money stays with the Shrine or goes to the Burns Institute in Boston.

I think the higher gun prices are driving people away too. I noticed that some local dealers here are cheaper. One even offers a $10 coupon to use during the gun show weekend. Everytime there is a gun show at the Big E my local dealers seem to be booming with business in Ct. I don't know if its people who went to the gun show and wanted to stay looking or they heard about the gun show and went looking locally.

I did notice at 12noon the gun show was empty it looked like it was 2:45pm?

Will i go again? Sure its a few hours to see and paw surplups. Its not cheap either i had the misses with me and i had to stop for dinner. (gas/parking/show entry/dinner) The biggest downer is i did see any finds i wanted. There was a tanker garand for $500 but i'm not into us stuff yet. I don't know about you guys but i never see any cheap/affordable ammo there either.

The next trip the misses stays home and i'll pack the loaf of bread and some peanutbutter & jelly and a half gallon of milk.

Last edited:
I hit em all. Never know when that one seller will be there with that gun that he has no idea what its true value is. Thats when a guy like me leaves with a boner bigger than the rifle.[smile]
Food, gas, parking... all small change when you consider what you can wind up with. Look at the dude that picked up the 03A3 for under $300 this past weekend at Springfield. Its like the lottery, you can't win if you don't play. Plus the big crowds keep Tommy, Teddy, and Johnny awake at night, and that makes me happy.

One seller had a LNIB Glock 27 for about $450, at least $250-300 less than the guys with lots of Glocks. Was surprised that it was still there Sunday noon. Did not see any "Not MASS Legal" sign either.

JonJ said:
Part of getting Barb to go with me to the last Marlboro show was I'd buy her lunch. We went to the steakhouse in the plaza in front of the convention center.
I made her the same offer for the April show.[wink]

OK, guys... you're finally talking me into starting to go to the shows again. Jon, it sounds like you're talking about the Longhorn Steakhouse in the same plaza as Victory/Hannaford's Supermarket? That's about 7 minutes from my house. (I spend wayyy too much money at the China Taste restaurant in the same plaza on takeout, so I know exactly how long it takes to get there! [smile])

Ross

BigBill said:
Will i go again? Sure its a few hours to see and paw surplups.

Surplups? I've noticed this word a few times - is it some kind of "in" word, or personal slang, or just a consistent misspelling?

Milsurps 4 Me said:
I hit em all. Never know when that one seller will be there with that gun that he has no idea what its true value is. Thats when a guy like me leaves with a boner bigger than the rifle.[smile]
Like a nearly mint 1881 Swiss Veterli, laying on a table surrounded by Garands and Springfields....
"Had to take it to get the ones I wanted", he said.
Got it for about half its' currrent value. Suppose I should have felt a little guilty[wink]

C-pher said:
Everyone was saying how much smaller this show was from all the others in Springfield. It's almost like every show, it's getting smaller and smaller.
I wonder if it has to do anything with the high prices. That's why my wife and I haven't been to one for a while. After you factor in your cost for admission and gas sometimes your better off going to certain gun shops like FS or Northeast.

We usually go to the Big E one twice a year. More for entertainment than anything else. It has gotten really small compared to what it used to be. We know the local dealers that attend these really mark up their prices compared to what they sell them for normally in their stores.
Food has always been expensive and bad.
Which is why we will do the chinese buffet just up the road from there.

Which is why we will do the chinese buffet just up the road from there.

I keep looking for that Chinese place but all I see is Debbie Wong. Is it on the way from I-91/Rt 5?

When you come out of the Big E parking hang a right. It is almost up to the traffic circle. Right hand side in the Century shopping plaza about in the middle.
If you hit Bob's furniture you went to far. It is called Century Buffet.

Last edited:
There is a new one in Chicopee we are going to try. Up the road from the one that had the stabbbing/shooting. Said grand opening.

Milsurps 4 Me said:

That's how I bought my 2 Finnish Mosin Nagants so cheap. $25 for the M24, $65 for the M28. They would usually go for $200 and UP.

MrsWildweasel said:
There is a new one in Chicopee we are going to try. Up the road from the one that had the stabbbing/shooting. Said grand opening.

I don't know where that one is. I have to go to Home Depot this morning so I'll have to look for it.

Up towards BJ's on the left. Shopping plaza with Marshalls in it. I can't think of what else is there. There is a small sign by the entrance saying grand opening.

MrsWildweasel said:
Up towards BJ's on the left. Shopping plaza with Marshalls in it. I can't think of what else is there. There is a small sign by the entrance saying grand opening.

It's a Royal Buffet something. In the same block as Staples, between Home Depot and Wally World. I remember seeing it before. Have heard nothing about it yet.

Well Frosty, we tried the Royal Buffet tonight. Definately way better than the other that had the stabbbing/shooting. Good selection, a little more expensive but worth it. If you like Sushi they had a nice selction to choose from. They also had a grill area and the selection there was also really good. All in all we had a good meal there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom