• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This is what happens when......

My balls only swing so low. Apparently, not nearly as low as yours. [laugh]

Yeah dude mine only swing so low because they are old and saggy lol. If that was my toe I woulda crushed 12 Vicodin and snorted them all, and wept my way over to Mrs GPP for a ride tothe ER.

OPs injury reminds me of the only injury id ever seen at work in 13 years... co worker was prepping a mac when a tape dispenser decided to fall off a high shelf, thing hit his hand with the tooth blade down, hit 2 of his fingers... blood all over the computer room... i think he taped himself up and someone brought him to mt auburn... no serious damage but talk about a bizarre injury.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work. Could be worse, though. Here's what happens when you drop the tongue of a trailer on your foot.

IMG_4204copy_zps765b2f70.jpg

The nail got ripped out instantly, all the way down to the root. Took me a minute to realize the toe itself was still there.

jeethus cwithe

you need to be more careful [rofl]
Forget careful try wearing shoes. [shocked]

When I was ten, a horse stepped on my big toe. I couldn't push him off so we stayed there for about 5 mins before someone came along. Lost my toenail and had a good laugh. Have you ever seen a horse laugh?

No, but definitely heard a few "jack asses" laugh.

I was cutting the temporary welds off a 2"x2"x8' angle iron cross brace from under two I-beams with an angle grinder with a metal cutoff disc. I was up on staging, wearing welding gloves and cutting from the top down. As the brace started to fall I held onto it and lifted it too much and the grinder kicked, cutting into my left forearm.

Lesson learned. I should have clamped it on both sides, the span was only 4 feet so I though I could handle it. I did not. Hardly felt it, did not even feel like someone had pinched my arm. No vascular damage.

It happened last May.

lac_1_zpsefyj5lsa.jpg

lac_2_zpsb95rbxjk.jpg

Just six stitches.

lac_3_zpsjlao95d8.jpg

Ten days later I took the stitches out.

lac_4_zpsmq0o2pnj.jpg

If I was wearing my welding jacket it would have never happened. Then again I was not welding at the time.

OP - why would you hand a loaded (full magazine?) gun to your son (or anyone else)?

Isn't one of the core safety rules to always ensure the gun is unloaded, no magazine, etc. before handing it to someone else?

There it is. #3:

http://training.nra.org/nra-gun-safety-rules.aspx

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.

Oh, wait, it's #2:

http://www.nssf.org/safety/basics/
2. Firearms Should Be Unloaded When Not Actually In Use

Firearms should be loaded only when you are in the field or on the target range or shooting area, ready to shoot. When not in use, firearms and ammunition should be secured in a safe place, separate from each other. It is your responsibility to prevent children and unauthorized adults from gaining access to firearms or ammunition.

Unload your gun as soon as you are finished. A loaded gun has no place in or near a car, truck or building. Unload your gun immediately when you have finished shooting, well before you bring it into a car, camp or home.

Whenever you handle a firearm or hand it to someone, always open the action immediately, and visually check the chamber, receiver and magazine to be certain they do not contain any ammunition. Always keep actions open when not in use. Never assume a gun is unloaded—check for yourself! This is considered a mark of an experienced gun handler!

Never cross a fence, climb a tree or perform any awkward action with a loaded gun. While in the field, there will be times when common sense and the basic rules of firearms safety will require you to unload your gun for maximum safety. Never pull or push a loaded firearm toward yourself or another person. There is never any excuse to carry a loaded gun in a scabbard, a holster not being worn or a gun case. When in doubt, unload your gun!

Edit - you never did say the magazine was full. I just assumed, based on how much damage it did, that it wasn't empty. Apologies if all safe gun handling rules WERE in force.

Last edited:
I totally disagree with this rule. My carry gun and my bedside gun are always loaded with a round in the chamber.

Well, yes. That's because you need them "ready to use."

But if you're about to hand a gun to someone, don't you take the mag out, and clear the chamber, before handing it to them? Or do you usually just hand your loaded gun to anyone who asks for it?

Again - my point is moot if the drum mag was empty. I assume, since it did so much bruising, that it was loaded.

Well, yes. That's because you need them "ready to use."

But if you're about to hand a gun to someone, don't you take the mag out, and clear the chamber, before handing it to them? Or do you usually just hand your loaded gun to anyone who asks for it?

Again - my point is moot if the drum mag was empty. I assume, since it did so much bruising, that it was loaded.

Yes - I would never hand someone a loaded firearm. One of the first things I taught my son was " when I hand you a gun it will be unloaded with the action open. And you will hand it back to me the same way"

I trim, mow, weld, grind, whatever in my flip flops. The best safety measure I can think of, is consequences. Because of that, I'm always very aware of where my feet are positioned when I'm doing chores or whatever.

Last night, without the protection of my safety sandals, I accidentally walked into/kicked the glass from a picture frame that I had resting against the side of my couch.

An hour and a half later I earned myself nine stitches and the ability to wear my safety sandals to work for the next week.

IMAG0590.jpg

Caught my toe on a door jam, while wearing sandals. I looked and decided I better walk down the stairs to my apartment quick before the pain set in. Ripped most the skin off the bottom of my toe. Only time I was ever sick to my stomach due to pain.

Back
Top Bottom