• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thirty yard Black Bear encounter NC

They show up at our place from time to time. I'm in central Mass and my property backs up to literally a couple thousand acres of uninterrupted forest and about 6,000 connecting acres total considering crossing roads, rivers, and reservoirs. We get wildlife including bears. Had a monstrous one show up on our deck with his nose pressed against the sliding screen door. Glass door was open. We had our Rottweiler and Black Russian Terrier at the time- both dogs over 120 lbs and the bear really didn't care about the barking and snapping pooches. Took quite a bit of "shoo-ing" from me to get him to leave. I had a .45 on my hip in case I needed it but never felt like I did need it.

JHC, I'm asking for the sake of my nephew's & his kids lives.
WTF over, how is you post helpful?
Stop leaving trash out? Get good buckets and chain things down?

Bears are usually easy to work with. If you give them yummies, they will stick around and eat yummies. They are lazy, smart critters, but most aren't vicious.

Unless cubbies are involved. Now if they have a den in the shed or something.... Get help.

From the world of hard to believe...2 weeks later
Farmer down the road from my nephew shot this Bear in the eye with a .22 rimfire after catching him tearing up livestock a few days ago. Idiot farmer buried him.

View attachment 640226
Its summer, if he can't gut it and get it processed immediately the meat is bad. Maybe the farmer had more important things to tend to.

We had a black bear with cubs run up the hill towards us when we were out hiking one morning in western Mass. It got within maybe 20 yards of us. We made noise, the bear turned and ran off. OP, see if there's a fresh tampon in your purse.

sometimes when you live in the wilderness there's wildlife.

When I went camping in Sequoia we had a bear in camp, maybe 50 feet away. Next morning the ranger was in camp making her rounds to collect site payment envelopes and I told her we had a bear in camp last night. She was like "yeah".

We’ve got a neighborhood bear that comes through every night. I’ve finally figured how to secure my trash well enough to keep them from getting into it. I used to think it was my neighbors dog because he would leave a trail of trash to my neighbors. One night I was on my porch in the dark having a drink and I heard some rustling on the side of the house. So I very quietly snuck over and jumped off the porch will shining my flashlight and before my feet touched the ground I realized it was a big old black bear in front of me. That’s a bad feeling. But the bear was so freaked out it bolted into the woods faster and louder than I’ve seen anything run.

I’ve also come across them during the day while hiking. Even on hot summer days like this. They’ll be in the blueberry patches in the mountains eating with their cubs and if the wind is right sometimes you get closer than you wanted to but again they’ve all been harmless.

That's called a startle reaction...lol
Lions will react in the same way when surprised by a a camo/motionless jackrabbit.
A 10" bull shark will do the same thing if surprised.

We've got a number of black bear around our property. I just saw a smaller one last week thru a cctv camera walking across our driveway.

Most of the time its easy to startle them and get them to go in an opposite direction, away.

Although, weve had a few bigger ones.
(I saw one once on a cctv cam trying to get to a bird feeder and could tell it was easily over 6' = as it was on its hind legs and gauging by the height of where the feeder was at).

The thing is that the bigger ones usually only go about 10 feet away, and then stop and look back to evaluate conditions.

That's where a few shot gun blasts (the sounds) are enough to get them moving away again.

... Brandon taught me that.

Not really tho :-D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom