• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thinking of getting these grips

J

Jose

For the Model 65.

heritage.jpg

Eagle Grips S&W Heritage series. Looks like the make a round butt conversion to square butt, see the stainless gun where the backstrap seems to curve in away from the wood.

My gun has the ugly, hard rubber Uncle Mikes that are standard equipment from S&W these days:

226620000_large.jpg

Anyone got any experience with these grips? How do they fit, compared to the standard ones, if you have a set of hands that take medium gloves (not very big)?

Jose, I have short fingers, and I gotta tell you that when I bought my Mod 19, it didn't even make it out of the shop before I'd put a pair of rubber Siles grips on it! It had come with the stock wood grips, and they were too large for me. Same with my 66 that I bought last year; got rid of the grips and bought some rubber ones that fit me better.

If you have small hands, I think you really ought to try out those wood grips before you buy them.

If your hands are the size of mine, you won't be comfortable with them.

Ross

I have a pair of Eagle grips that don't fit my GP100 at all well.
There is 1/32" mismatch from the left to right grip.
Their customer service was not at all helpful, suggesting that I should sand them down until they fit.
Eagle will never get another dollar from me.
I've read a few similar reports so It's not an isolated problem.
Some people have had good luck by sending their gun to Eagle for fitting.
I have several pair of Hogue wood grips that all just fit my S&Ws good, right out of the box.
I know that this is not what you wanted to hear, sorry.
Jack

I know that this is not what you wanted to hear, sorry.
Jack

Actually, what you and Ross said is exactly what I want to hear. I don't want to blow money on something that is going to piss me off even though it looks cool on the net.

Can you post pics of the Hogues you got?

Last edited by a moderator:
top gun is a 6" M686, bottom is a 6-1/2" M610.
The 686 is much nicer to shoot with these grips as they fill the hand nicely without being too bulky.
Both sets of grips are from the Hogue Auction site @ about half price, as they were "cosmetic seconds." You really can't tell unless someone points out the defect.

hoguegrips-vi.jpg

I just have the stock Hogue monogrip on the 686, and I liked it so much that I bought another set for the 66.

I'll have to email my buddy to get a pic of the Siles grips that my old Mod 19 is sporting. [crying]

I've been thinking more about this and will probably try these Hogues, which follow the backstrap curve and seem to be slimmer.

19200L.jpg

I will probably spring for the checkering.

I take the rubber off all my guns. Wood looks and feels better to me.

I do have a problem with the size of these on my 629. They look nice but don't feel natural to me. Maybe it's just the fact that it's an large N frame square butt and it gets bigger as you go down towards the butt. It's the only square butt I have so I can't compare it to anything. Someday I'd like to have an early 65 or 66 3 inch with a square butt.

629_2.jpg

OK, this is almost it: Hogue Compact Pau Ferro wood for K&L frames with round butt, no finger grooves. Only change will be checkering.

19310L.jpg

This mimics almost exactly the shape of the boot grips on my J frame, which fit me very, very well. I am betting that the slightly larger K frame grip will fit me perfectly.

BTW, Ross the first picture I posted was Goncalo Alves wood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom