thinking about starting reloading

BattleSnail

Banned
So, I'd like to explore reloading. I know nothing whatsoever about it. Wondering if you folks could help me out with the following:

Must Haves: can you give me a list of the equipment I must have in order to reload. I'm guessing I need a single stage press rather than a progressive to start and dies. Could you guys maybe give me a list of what I need, recommended brands etc.

I'd like to basically have a shopping list together so I can go get everything I need. Then maybe once I have a basic but fully functional setup, go take a reloading class or something. My goal is to reload for .40, .357mag, .44mag, 45 acp. Eventually rifle once I know what I'm doing.

+ 1 on taking the class. I read a lot, watched you tube, and had a friend show me some things.

Have you started collecting brass yet? Getting a case tumbler and media are a good start.

I am a big fan of the dillon 550b. How much volume do you plan on doing? Dillons do cost a bit more but they hold their value. If you think you may eventually want to do more volume, this may be a good option.

Check out Brian Enos forum. There are a lot of good tips there as well.

This is how I spent last night with the girl out of town:

image-3026235679.jpg

image-1229166277.jpg

Last edited:
Many folks dismiss Lee products, and for all I know they're no good for massive-volume reloading. For me, as a complete reloading novice, their single-stage kit gave me everything I needed to start at a reasonable price, and it all performed exactly as advertised with the help of a few Youtube videos. That, plus carbide dies, will get you started; no doubt you'll get a better press as your experience grows.

Apart from those, you'll need a bench to fasten the press to, some primers, some bullets, and whatever powder you want to start with; mine was Unique, reloading for .45 ACP and .455 Webley. I've branched out since then, but the basic Lee single-stage setup is what I still use. Works fine.

I use lee dies for .45 acp. I weigh every charge. I have actually all Lee stuff. I'm into reloading for cheap I traded ammo for the press. I have an old Texan reloading press.

It is very satisfying to go to the range with ammo you have made.
One thing to remember is there is little room for mistakes and they can be disastrous. When I am reloading it is all I am doing. No radio no computer no nothing.I have a Lee progressive press and I would not recommend their stuff. It is very poorly engineered, at least the indexing mechanism is. It requires constant fiddling with to run it in progressive mode. I do my priming and powder loads off the press. I only use the press for resizing, expanding and seating.
After you get over the initial cost it is also a lot cheaper than buying factory ammo. I am making 45's for about 16 cents a piece and they shoot fine.
To add to the list of what others have said, you will need a cheap caliper to check OAL and other things and also a scale.

If you are serious I would start buying components now while they are available. When the recent crap went down components were no where to be found for the most part.

I like the Lyman T-Mag 2 press I have... It's a 6 position turret press (non-progressive). You index the turret manually, with each round. You won't get the volume you can with a progressive press, but the cost is also significantly less. Amazon has a kit for $270.50 that includes the press, reloading manual (recipe book), digital scale, powder charge, deburring tool, plus some other goodies.

You'll want the caliber dies for what you want to load. Lyman uses the same 7/8-14 threaded dies that almost every other press uses. So, you have tons of choices out there.

You'll want to get a tumbler to clean the brass (vibration tumbler, easy to find new or used for not a lot of money).

Lyman is out of CT, so nice and close. I've called them up to get replacement o-rings for the primer feed tubes (the original ones were from around 1993). They sent the pair for free.

For rifle reloading, you'll probably want to get a case trimmer too. There's one at Shooter's Outpost that's really nice and will do a wide range of calibers (pretty much everything you listed, and more).

I've never taken a reloading class, since I learned from my father. I've reloaded .45 ACP for many years. This year I also started reloading for 300 AAC Blackout. Soon I'll also be reloading .223... All with the same press I have now. I might get another turret head, and powder chargers for the different calibers. That will make things easier.

If you want to start with a single stage you'll need at a minimum the following:

- Single Stage Press (I recommend a RCBS Rock Chucker, or even one of the earlier RCBS models)
- Powder Measure / drop
- Powder Scale
- primer flipper if you're going to use the RCBS prime system
- Set of Calipers
- At least one reloading manual (preferable more)
- Funnel (not really a need for handgun... but worth the few bucks to help pour powder)
- Set of reloading dies & matching shell holder to go in the press

Things that you don't "need" but I would recommend:
- a hand primer (alot of people don't like the feel of the integral RCBS priming system, myself included). You'll need shell holders for this too.
- a primer pocket cleaner and brush
- Tumbler w/ media to clean brass
- Media separator (buy this... you'll thank me later)
- bullet puller (Impact or Collet type)

Check the classifieds here, I got a single stage RCBS starter kit here for a good price. If you're looking to go new, I recommend this set:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit

Presses

I use a Dillon Square Deal B for pistol and a Redding Big Boss II for rifle. If I was a little less thrifty I'd have two SDBs: one for large primer, one for small. I don't reload enough to justify that yet. Don't think of the SDB as a "lesser press", it's just specifically designed for pistol calibers.

I'm an engineer so I did a cost analysis that traded off the price of a few calibers for each setup (assuming full press setups, i.e. powder measure, dies, tool head, etc) and the price difference was insignificant. IIRC the two-press option was cheaper for up to two pistol and two rifle calibers. After that the pistol setups are a more expensive option (~$200/caliber).

The catch is that the SDB dies are proprietary so if you get something else later you need new dies. Unless I wanted a case feeder or some other fancy gear I don't see needing anything "better" for pistol.

Scales

I use an el cheapo Frankford Arsenal scale. I compared it against my buddy's fancy-schmancy scale and it held its own. No, you aren't going to get 0.01gr accuracy out of it, but ain't nobody got time for measuring that accurately anyway.

I found the best way to use it is to zero the scale, dump powder into the pan and weigh the whole thing. Then subtract 120gr (or whatever your pan weighs) and you've got your measure. This prevents the scale from re-zeroing as you dump the powder and ignoring subtle changes in the powder being measured.

Powder Measures

Obviously the SDB has its own powder measure. I check it when I start a new session and every so often in the middle. It pretty much stays where I put it and is plenty good for what I need.

For rifle I use an el cheapo Lee Perfect Powder measure. I got two of them because they're cheap enough that I can justify one per caliber. I couldn't believe how well they work for the price (<$25)! The micrometer isn't laboratory grade but it gets you pretty freaking close to what you want. All I found I had to do was adjust the tension on the handle a little so it wasn't so jerky (this is done with a screw, wicked easy to do) and lower the drop tube so I didn't bump the pan/funnel.

I could only see replacing these with an automatic measure. But that won't be any time soon.

1. Take a class, EddieCoyle here has one that comes highly recommended.

2. Go cheap and cheerful to start with at first. Keep it very simple in regards to equipment and initial investment.

+ 1 on taking the class. I read a lot, watched you tube, and had a friend show me some things.

Have you started collecting brass yet? Getting a case tumbler and media are a good start.

I am a big fan of the dillon 550b. How much volume do you plan on doing? Dillons do cost a bit more but they hold their value. If you think you may eventually want to do more volume, this may be a good option.

Check out Brian Enos forum. There are a lot of good tips there as well.

This is how I spent last night with the girl out of town:

View attachment 85886

View attachment 85887

I've been doing the same.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I'd like to explore reloading. I know nothing whatsoever about it. Wondering if you folks could help me out with the following:

Must Haves: can you give me a list of the equipment I must have in order to reload. I'm guessing I need a single stage press rather than a progressive to start and dies. Could you guys maybe give me a list of what I need, recommended brands etc.

I'd like to basically have a shopping list together so I can go get everything I need. Then maybe once I have a basic but fully functional setup, go take a reloading class or something. My goal is to reload for .40, .357mag, .44mag, 45 acp. Eventually rifle once I know what I'm doing.

Jim's classes are very worthwhile. Even if you reload already.

1. Take a class, EddieCoyle here has one that comes highly recommended.

2. Go cheap and cheerful to start with at first. Keep it very simple in regards to equipment and initial investment.

Cheap within reason. I try to operate under the "Buy once, cry once" principle. With that being said, you can definitely be selective with where you invest and where you skimp. Presses and dies are not a place to skimp. They also don't depreciate much, so the risk is minimal.

Do you need a $35 flip tray? Nope, that $5 plastic one is just fine.

Same goes for loading blocks. You can spend a ton of cash for machined stainless or you can save the plastic cartridge trays from boxes of 9mm and use those. I find they work perfectly for .223. Don't buy ammo? Dig 'em out of the trash at the range.

I also had the luxury of being able to borrow a few tools here and there from a friend. I was able to see what he uses to load for prairie dogs at 700yds and determine for myself if I need to be so precise when I'm trying to put holes in paper at 50-75'.

Like most things, that last 10% of accuracy is 90% of the cost.

Lastly, I was skeptical about reloading at first. I thought I just wanted to do it for the cheap/plentiful ammo. I quickly found that I really enjoy the whole process. It's a very relaxing way to spend an evening or rainy Saturday.

I found some Dillon 9mm dies that I bought about 25yrs ago and never used. I now use a Lee Loadmaster. Can the Dillon dies be used on the Lee?
dillon dies.jpg

I found some Dillon 9mm dies that I bought about 25yrs ago and never used. I now use a Lee Loadmaster. Can the Dillon dies be used on the Lee?
View attachment 86936

Yeah, but you're going to need to get an expander die. The Dillon setups use a powder-through expander that goes under the powder measure.

You're probably better off trading the Dillon dies to someone with a Dillon for a set of 'conventional' 9mm dies.

There are a lot of ways to go depending on just as many factors such as volume, costs, available space and so on. I would agree with you on a single stage for a starting point. Weather you stay with it or move on to a turret or progressive, you will always find a use for it and it's a good place to start to learn the basics. I don't care for any of the "kits" that are available. There are pluses and minuses for each one. I prefer to mix and match across a lot of manufacturers.

As others suggested, you may want to have someone locally to show you the basics or the aforementioned, take a beginners class. If you select a manufacturer, you'll want their reloading book as it will be focused on their products in the beginning tutorials such as Lyman, Lee, Hornaday and so on.

If you want a must have list for now and of course it's purely subjective, I'd get:

1) A Lee classic single stage

2) A Universal decapping die (I use Lymans)

3) Lymans universal case prep kit.

4) A dry tumbler and crushed walnut media.

5) Lees reloading book.

That would be it for now until you get some direction. You can at least prep your shells to the point of sizing with the above. I suggested Lees single stage as it will serve you well enough and it's fairly inexpensive. No matter what you decide on in the end or stay with it, it's always nice to have as a separate operation if needed. The decapping die will pop out the primers on spent casings across all your calibers. A lot of people use them prior to the first cleaning to keep grime out of their dies. A dry tumbler (and walnut). Even if you go wet tumbling as your first cleaning, you'll want to go dry as a secondary one as an after sizing to remove any residual lube. The Lee manual as I suggested the Lee single stage. The whole front section will give you a tutorial but on Lee products. Finally the Lyman case prep kit. You'll want a pocket cleaner (prior to tumbling after knocking the primer out), the kit has both large and small plus a number of other case tools. I like them also as I can unscrew them from the handles and use them in my trio as they have 8/32 threads. Something like that my be down the road if you get into it.

As I said it's subjective and only a beginning. I wouldn't go any further for now until you get some direction. You'll always use the above if you stick with reloading so it will not be money down the drain.

Oppsies: Forgot to mention;

6) Lees universal shell holder set. You'll need them to lock your shells to the press. The die set comes with one for that particular caliber but you don't have any die sets yet.

Last edited:
I definitely recommend Jim's class. I went in there with a few ideas in the back of my mind and came out with a completely different set. I haven't started yet, but intend to. The class is well worth your time and money.

Is aluminum acceptable for the press?

I have a birthday discount, and I can get this for a good price (per turbo89 recommendation)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit

or this for $90 cheaper

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/373711/rcbs-reloader-special-5-single-stage-press-starter-kit

Get what you want, but I would trust cast iron to last longer than aluminum. I also don't see the point of a single stage press, but get it if you're really set on taking that much longer to process your rounds. You can also get a Lymen T-Mag 2 press kit (expert kit), on Amazon, for about what you're paying for the better single stage press.

Thanks to all. I had read elsewhere that a single stage was a reasonable beginner setup because you could upgrade to automation once you figured out what you were really looking for out of reloading (and you'd always have the single stage for experimental stuff).

That said, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm looking for, what do folks thing about this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/347040/lee-pro-1000-progressive-press-kit-223-remington

I can't imagine not having a single stage press.

I'm not a fan of the kits.

I never had to get a kit. I inherited all my reloading hardware from my father. I also started reloading when shooting competition (IPSC) so I needed to produce at least a few hundred rounds for the next shoot. Which typically meant I had maybe a couple of hours (tops) to do the entire process. I highly doubt I could do that much in that amount of time without a turret press.

Keep in mind, this is not a progressive press in any shape. It's simply a turret that you index to the next step.

If/when I get something like a 50 BMG rifle, I'll look into single stage presses. Until then, I'm doing very well with the press I have.

Thanks to all. I had read elsewhere that a single stage was a reasonable beginner setup because you could upgrade to automation once you figured out what you were really looking for out of reloading (and you'd always have the single stage for experimental stuff).

That said, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm looking for, what do folks thing about this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/347040/lee-pro-1000-progressive-press-kit-223-remington

I wouldn't recommend jumping right into a progressive press from zero. You still need to learn the basics, and load some first.

IMO/IME, you can go decades with a turret press without wanting a progressive press. So, zero need to change the press like you'll want to do with the single stage. You can also easily change setups with the T-Mag II press by just changing out the turret. I'm actually already planning on setting up additional turrets for different calibers. With the turrets running about $55, it's a pretty cheap way to do it.

Last edited:
Get what you want, but I would trust cast iron to last longer than aluminum. I also don't see the point of a single stage press, but get it if you're really set on taking that much longer to process your rounds. You can also get a Lymen T-Mag 2 press kit (expert kit), on Amazon, for about what you're paying for the better single stage press.

It does look like that RCBS kit jumped in price for the new year. For single stage presses, I'm a fan of RCBS (I'm using a cast iron RCBS jr that's 25+ yrs old and working fine), but for $300+that turret press seems like a good compromise.

You may consider skimming eBay for used single stage presses as well. I've seen used Rock Chuckers go for ~ $50 (and I've also seen them go for $150+).

I cant really nock Lee all the lee stuff i have works......works is te key word. This is what i have to say about Lee. It can be a real turn off to 100% new reloaders. I loaded on a lee loadall for shotgun after I had already learned to reload on a mec. Sure the lee load all worked BUT it took some tweeking and some mods to work better. The 600jr I learned on took a few adjustments then just turn them out. Same for the mec 9000s i run now.

jump forward to reloading for metalic cartridges...I have the lee pro 1000 originally purchased for 45acp. It again works but it took constant looking checking and tweeking. Its now regulated to more of a prep station and for my not so used cal. like 32sw and a 38spl. Its ok it works but not a fan. I still do all my loading on the hornady single stage. with the quick change bushing I can run through the steps pretty quickly with the primer feed system....I learned on a old turret like this loading 38 specials. belonged to the gent who got me going.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom