Thinking about getting into skeet: Shotgun suggestions?

1919FAN

NES Member
Hi folks:

I'm new to the sport and clueless. Can someone give me some advice on shotguns?

870 ... enough said :)

What advice are you looking for... the above is all you need to get started.

A few quick thoughts: If you simply want to have fun and bust clays, any 12 or 20ga shotgun will be great. However, if you want to get into skeet as a sport(leagues), you will definitely want an over/under 12 or 20ga.

As for length you can go from a 28" field length barrel to 32" trap barrel. Weight is inversely related to how well the gun swings. Chokes vary from modified to improved cylinder to cylinder. You can use different chokes in each barrel to give better shot pattern.

O/Us are more expensive and iirc, mossberg makes one starting at around $600. You can find very nice ruger red labels on the used market for slightly more. Like anything, the more you spend, the nicer the gun will be fit and finish-wise.

Tell us your budget and goals and we can help more.

870 ... enough said :)

What advice are you looking for... the above is all you need to get started.

I generally don't recommend pump guns to people shooting skeet for the first time. It makes the doubles that much harder when you're already trying to learn something brand new.

I generally don't recommend pump guns to people shooting skeet for the first time. It makes the doubles that much harder when you're already trying to learn something brand new.

Yeah but for $300 bucks you can't go wrong. He obviously does not have a shotgun and if your going to purchase one (then maybe never get into the sport) its a small investment for a shotgun with multiple uses. Of course an O/U for $600 is going to be ideal but he could always spend that type of dough in the future when he may actually want to invest in it.

Its like telling a guy getting into IDPA or USPSA he should go out and spend $1000-$1500 on gear when he can start for 1/2 the cost.

All that being said I totally agree with your post and was stating the specific reason for my answer to get started in the sport.

I have a 20 and a 12 O/U I would be happy to let you try - depending on where you live of course.

Spend some time on the field, try out as many guns as you can, then decide for yourself.

If you looked at most of the dedicated skeeter's at my club, on average they are shooting O/U's valued at $1000 and up (some WAY UP).

If you fall in love with the sport, you're gonna want a nice O/U, and none of them are cheap.

If you're down on the South Shore, I'd be happy to let you try a few of mine.

Yeah but for $300 bucks you can't go wrong. He obviously does not have a shotgun and if your going to purchase one (then maybe never get into the sport) its a small investment for a shotgun with multiple uses. Of course an O/U for $600 is going to be ideal but he could always spend that type of dough in the future when he may actually want to invest in it.

Its like telling a guy getting into IDPA or USPSA he should go out and spend $1000-$1500 on gear when he can start for 1/2 the cost.

All that being said I totally agree with your post and was stating the specific reason for my answer to get started in the sport.

He would do much better going to the $400-450 range and finding a used 1100 than going with the 870 IMO.

How about a used Marlin 90? Classic O/U that are under $500 on auction sites.
a78aad9cfaee17e01e122dc68389b243.jpg

He would do much better going to the $400-450 range and finding a used 1100 than going with the 870 IMO.

There we go - I like that idea.
Yeah it seems my recommendation was craptastic for the most part lol.
The 1100 is certainly still reasonable on price and is a good choice.

How about a used Marlin 90? Classic O/U that are under $500 on auction sites.
a78aad9cfaee17e01e122dc68389b243.jpg

The problem with buying a gun that you have not handled, especially when you're new to the game, is that you have no idea as to wheter it will fit you.

No fit, no hit.

Follow the advice above, about visiting Skeet places, and trying out some for size.

I understand and agree with fitting, but not at such an entry stage. He's got no move, no mount, hes not even sure whether he likes the sport. Why spend the money on fitting at this point?

Buy a cheap yildiz or a used marlin 90 or red label and spend the money on lessons. Shoot it a ton. Then if all is well, spend the cash to fit now that you have some established fundamentals. Jmhofwiw

I was not advicating having a gun "professionally fitted" for a new shooter - but each maker's offering, that's intended to fit the "average" shooter, will be a bit different.

Case in point - my usual "using" gun is a Smith Model 1000, or an old Browning A5. They fit me fine.

My kid shoots an 870 or 1100 - I can shoot either of them, but the comb is a bit too high, and it 'bites" my cheek after a while.

Most newer Trap guns have a tighter pistol grip than I care for.

This is why I say, "try on everything that you can" to find a gun that fits. It's like trying on different off-the-rack suits....one brand in a given size will fit better than another.

Get something with a bayonet lug on it and if you miss, fix bayonet and charge the field. You will be popular. Seriously though, I clearly know nothing about skeet but just bought a Lamber o/u for around 400-450 and loves it.

I would saw do NOT buy a crap over under (pretty much anything new under $1000). An 1100, although an old design, will hold its value better and is more versatile if you decide to try other shotgunning activities.

I go with MisterHappy's statement. Find a gun that fits and you might luck out. A used Ithaca 37 might fit the bill for $200, or a browning auto from a friends basement.

I go with MisterHappy's statement. Find a gun that fits and you might luck out. A used Ithaca 37 might fit the bill for $200, or a browning auto from a friends basement.

Again, a pump gun for a new skeet shooter is not a confidence builder.

For a new shooter it's not a great start. It puts in place a mental block against shooting or even attempting the doubles.

Like I said, not ideal but not that bad. If someone is unfamiliar with how a pump works its probably tougher, but its not rocket science.

Using a pump should not prevent you from trying skeet. I used an 18" pump with cylinder bore and had a blast my first time [smile]

There's a lot of good advice. I purchased an old ( 1992 ) Beretta A390 from Kittery for $465 when I got into Sporting Clays. It was in amazing condition and probably sat in somebody's safe for years. Back in the day the Beretta A390 was the gun to have. Anyway, my point is, it may be better to purchase an older higher quality shotgun, than a brand new lesser shotgun. There's lots of them out there. Beretta A303 is an older gun too, that has an incredible following. Kittery had one for $450 a few months ago. Good value at a reasonable price, thats the goal. Good luck with the search.

Kittery had a nice red label and a nice citori on their used rack as of yesterday. Both nice o/u options.

Also ere is a decent Turkish o/u in our classifieds right now iirc.

Last edited:
Gun fit is a key element. Not having a findemental stance and swing makes gun fit not so critical at first. To me its like having a curved hockey stick when you can hardly skate.

Any how there used to be a decent simple video put out by the US Army shooting team.
I cant seem to find it any more and the links I have are dead.
Here's the written format http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/USAMU2-2/usamu2-2.html

These simple adjustments did wonders for me.

My first gun was a Winchester 1400 still have it and outshoot benelli/browning users all day. It was 250 at ktp had some scratches but it is an auto loader and does the job. The Winchester 1400 may not be pretty but it's functional.

Please be kind to a noob's question on this topic. I saw that Mossberg makes a side by side with 28" barrels. Is that a reasonable thing to consider for trap/skeet? I have never done either on a proper range but know that proper range ediquette is an important part of the sport. From what i am seeing, its proper to have your action broken open unless shooting because it exhibits a safe shooter. With that said i think a side by side would be the more cost affective way to go for a noob. Or am i completely wrong?

Last edited:
Please be kind to a noob's question on this topic. I saw that Mossberg makes a side by side with 28" barrels. Is that reasonable thing to consider for trap/skeet? I have never done either on a proper range and know that proper range ediquette is an important thing. From what i am gather its proper to have your action broken open unless shooting because it exhibits a safe shooter. With that said i think a side by side would be the more cost affective way to go for a noob. Or am i completely wrong?

You have to balance cost effective with the proper gun type for the job. When my father got into skeet, he did a shit-ton of research (back in the 90's it wasn't online). He ended up getting a Browning Citroi shotgun (20 gauge) and then got the 410 tubes (full length) for it. It wasn't cheap even back then, but it's a top notch shotgun for the sport. He did very well with it too. Now that he's gone, I have no use for the shotgun (it's posted in the classified section).

I will say that the support from Browning is also top notch. You call and get people in the US on the phone. I called since the serial number didn't match up with what was online (for model). Got a clear answer from them, as well as some more info. Due to that [alone] I've added them to the list of manufacturers I'll purchase products from.

Back
Top Bottom